2016 Houston Rockets Pre-Season Thread - Preseason Finale vs Spurs

I hate these types of losses much more than blowouts, cause they were down by as much as 13, made a comeback, took the lead, and eventually lost.
View media item 1841020The non-foul call on Dwight and on Ariza were brutal, but had the Rockets played defense in the 3rd quarter instead of giving up awful amounts of layups and general easy shots, they would've been up by 10 instead of trying to hit a 3 for overtime.

It was cool to see Lawson (eventually) show up. But it sucked that D-Mo basically brought nothing, and with TJones playing well previously, I'm not sure why he didn't get much PT tonight.

Next up is the Spurs on ESPN at home. Let's see how this goes.

Probably the best defense we've played all year, and the Rockets did that versus one of the most efficient offenses in the league, and a team that also has one of the best defenses. I sort of wasn't worried about Harden's slow start, cause at that point even though he only had 3 points, the Rockets were only down by 5. Excellent showing from Jason Terry, who I had complained about playing time right before he started hitting shots :lol: Pretty good play from Lawson too. He was attacking the basket like he should, even if the box score doesn't really reflect that. Great defense overall played, and hopefully they can carry that into the quick turnaround against New Orleans tonight.
View media item 1843677View media item 1843658View media item 1843659View media item 1843660View media item 1843661View media item 1843662View media item 1843663View media item 1843665View media item 1843666View media item 1843667View media item 1843668View media item 1843669View media item 1843670View media item 1843671View media item 1843672View media item 1843674View media item 1843675

Last edited:
what a sweet win yesterday 
pimp.gif

nothing is better than beating the spurs or (mavs, jazz, and warriors) 

feelsgoodman

merry christmas fellow rockets fans!

I'm very confused that Lawson is looking confident and sober. Harden was actually resting for once while Lawson was running things.

The inconsistencies in this team is maddening. They had 2 decent leads, and have then up due to laziness at crucial times. No way in hell should they have let N.O get off a 12-0 run heading into half time. 16-16. The very definition of average. The only positive is TJones' steady play and Lawson being active once again.

I think we may be the stupidest team in the league.

6 secs left and Ariza/Harden don't even notice and push the ball a bit late. Bailed out with the foul. That's fine 1.6 sec left.

Fast forward we run a top screen with Howard and Harden basically tries it then backs out like he doesn't want anything to do with ball at all. No way Ariza can lob that pass above Howard without it being stolen.

No TO called even though we have 2 left. Instead a pass to a well guarded Dwight with 1.6 secs left at the THREE point line.

Not to mention either tied or within 2 the last 2 minutes and we shot nothing but 3s. Or having a small ball lineup with against Anderson/AD. Killing us the last couple minutes on the boards and PnRs

Lolz. Story of our season. Big win. Big meltdown.

Let's get it against GSW.

16-17 with the Warriors coming in here. This team is mediocre in every ******* sense of the word. I've never watched a more pathetic team that was supposed to surely be a 3-4 seed type team look like this. Completely wasted Dwight and Lawson's games, but the biggest suspect in this game was simply defense. Complete trash in all phases, especially on the perimeter. Al Horford, their CENTER hit 5 3s AND was allowed to get putbacks. I thought I was disgusted after the Pels game, but boy I didn't think it was possible to get a new sense of pathetic.

View media item 1848164
Look at Corey Brewer. 17 minutes, and not a ************* thing to show for it. Yet Thornton, a guy who has poured in points every time he's had increased playing time, is basically Sam Dekker status.

View media item 1848171
Look at the standings. Only in the 7th spot due to ineptitude of other teams. Gonna **** around and be where the Kings are if things don't turn around.

HOUSTON -- In discussing the Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff admired his New Year’s Eve opponent’s greed.

They’re greedy he said.

And when your own team is 16-17, seventh seed in the Western Conference with a 9-8 mark against below-.500 teams, which include three losses to the Denver Nuggets and two to the Brooklyn Nets, Bickerstaff would like to see some greed as well.

“I think everybody does. Period,” Bickerstaff said after Wednesday’s practice. “That’s the way you should approach whatever it is that you’re doing. You should want more in a selfless way. You want more wins, you should want to be better, whatever it is, you should be greedy, that’s the mentality you should have.”

The Rockets have shown flashes of winning basketball. This team has quality wins over the San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers (twice) and Oklahoma City Thunder. Yet, they blew a 19-point lead in losing to the Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday night and faltered down the stretch in a road loss to the Orlando Magic last week. There was another bad loss at New Orleans, the day after Christmas, prompting Bickerstaff to say the team disrespected the game.

Jason Terry said his team needs to develop a killer instinct. "You watch Golden State, they they have a killer instinct. ... If they're up 15, they're going up 30 and their starters sit out the fourth quarter."

So what now?

The Rockets face a Warriors team Thursday that, if it wins Wednesday night in Dallas, will need just one more victory to set the NBA record for best winning percentage (96.9) entering the New Year.

Last season, the Warriors swept the season series between the teams for the first time since the 1986-87 season, and the Rockets have lost the last six regular-season games. Houston is averaging just 98.2 points per game against the Warriors in the last five meetings and shooting a dismal 28.4 percent from three-point range in the same span.

Of course it was the Warriors that eliminated the Rockets in five games in the West finals last season despite the Rockets having a chance to earn a split on the road in Games 1 and 2.

Jason Terry, who played in that series, said this is a vastly different Rockets team and won’t entertain any similarities.

Yet even Terry knows that regardless of what you think of the Rockets' issues against the Warriors, just handling their own business has been a problem. A major one.

“I think that’s been our biggest vice this season ... you get 15-point leads and, for some reason, teams gain confidence and come back,” Terry said. “We haven’t gotten there yet and I believe in this team and we will get to the point where we get to that killer instinct. You watch Golden State, they they have a killer instinct. If they get down 15, they’re coming back fighting like no other. If they’re up 15, they’re going up 30 and their starters sit out the fourth quarter. That’s a trend that they’ve had all season and that’s what we have to get to.”

During the Warriors' sprite-like start to the season came the revelation that shooting guard Klay Thompson said he’s the best at his position.

It seems people may have forgotten James Harden, who is second in the league in scoring and leads two-guards in Real Plus Minus.

Harden seemed amused by Thompson’s thoughts. After all, when you’re playing with the best team in the league, you can say what you want. Right?

“People are going to talk,” Harden said. “Just let them talk and do what they’re going to do. Whatever gets them excited, whatever gives them that confidence to want to talk, just go ahead and do it. But we really know what’s going on.”

Yes, Harden’s season has been strong. Not MVP-like but strong enough where he should earn first-team All-NBA honors again. Maybe.

The record says what you are, a famous football coach once said, and the Rockets at just a game below .500 are what they are.

“Individually, we have to look ourselves in the mirror and figure out how to help our team,” Harden said. “And how can we get better and then collectively bring in as a group and then we’ll be alright.”

View media item 1851645Didn't let them ruin my night, but I thought I'd pop back in now just to bring this up. No Curry, no Ezeli, no Barboza, Harden with 30, Howard with another double double and Patrick Beverley scoring, yet you still lose. Losers. Draymond with a triple double impacting the game, and Klay Thompson actually gets off tonight. This team will fall out the playoff picture soon enough if they don't get their **** together. Based on what I read, seems like defense was AGAIN a major issue. Clearly tried outscoring GSW when they could've just played 5 minutes of defense at any point in the game and could've won. These sad pieces of crap.

Most people in this thread probably don't pay attention to baseball, but this feels like the rockets are the Nationals 
laugh.gif

You're a high preseason pick, and then just flop with more or less the same exact team 
laugh.gif

You can't take any playoff run for granted because you never know what will happen next year 
mean.gif

I definitely know about how lame the Nationals are :lol: :lol: And you're definitely right about taken things for granted. Season's not over yet, but this team doesn't look like it's on it's way to improving one bit. MAYBE offensively, but they're so terrible on defense it negates any of that.

Boy oh boy...I actually attended this game and it was painful to watch this team lose that game. I like JB, they play harder for him than Mchale, but there are still too many lapses on defense and lack of execution on offense; especially in crunch time. This team needs a hard a** who won't put up with sloppy play on either end.

This squad won't get out of the first round

Back
Top Bottom