2017 Best Places to Live in America vol. NYC didn't crack top 20 cities

Need some advice on moving to the D.C. area. Where should a mid to late 20 year old, single male live?

I like hitting the bars and being in the action, need to commute to Arlington daily.

Need some advice on moving to the D.C. area. Where should a mid to late 20 year old, single male live?

I like hitting the bars and being in the action, need to commute to Arlington daily.

Just move to Arlington. Yeah, I live in Clarendon all the bars are within walking distance.

Just move to Arlington. Yeah, I live in Clarendon all the bars are within walking distance.

I've heard Arlington is such a slower pace than D.C. and the same price? I also need to think ahead to taxes as well. I'll be looking for a 1 bd/1 ba 3k or less before I buy something in the area.

How are the ladies in DC?

I've heard Arlington is such a slower pace than D.C. and the same price? I also need to think ahead to taxes as well. I'll be looking for a 1 bd/1 ba 3k or less before I buy something in the area.

Clarendon in Arlington. You'll love it. Filled w/ young professionals, lively nightlife, and you can get a dope place with your budget.

*Plus public transportation is right there, so you can EASILY access DC. With a car, DC (Georgetown) is less than 5 min away. Assuming you hit every green light :lol:

Last edited:

Everything shuts down at 130am in Va. Its been early as 1245 when spots stop letting people in. I've been told by others that Clarendon is very Bro-y. I didn't realized what that meant until I went out and saw white guys dressed in button downs, shorts and boat shoes with red solo cups yelling "Hey Bro".

I'm a preppy white dude but I don't act like that [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Everything here in LA is 130 as well so I'm used to it.

Going to look at apartments now!

Shoutout Raleigh-Durham :pimp: been there plenty of times dope place. Also the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) area is :pimp: too

if you are in your late 20s, single, with a sizable budget, live in DC...dont live in Arlington man 
laugh.gif

everyone i know that lived in Arlington got bored and moved into DC (mostly dupont, logon circle, u street), even if they worked in Arlington...

if you are in your late 20s, single, with a sizable budget, live in DC...dont live in Arlington man :lol:

everyone i know that lived in Arlington got bored and moved into DC (mostly dupont, logon circle, u street), even if they worked in Arlington...

This im in Arlington and may move to DC.

I looked at Clarendon apartments and they didn't look nice and I was looking at 3k for a 1 bed/ 1 ba.

So DuPont Circle it is?? I have no issue with a commute. I commute from Santa Monica now and it can be up to 70 mins.

So DuPont Circle it is?? 
this is your best bet...centrally-located (can easily get to U Street, Georgetown), lots of nightlife options (dive bars, lounges/upscale bars, and a few clubs)...

$3k should be good for a modern, luxury-ish place...

Last edited:
Arlington resident checking it. Pretty much agree with what newsjs said, if you can afford to live in DC you should. Only plus about living in Arlington is the lower tax rate compared to the district. Realistically, the R-B corridor is so close to DC it's not that much of a difference than living in DC and commuting to other parts of the city. I live about 5 min from Ballston and can get to most of downtown DC in about 15min

Well Fort Worth is a major city but it's still like 30 more minutes to Dallas. People from there would probably take issue, but us not from there kind of mention that whole area synonymously. Kind of like I tell people I am from Fort Sill, Oklahoma and they go "Oklahoma City?" I'm like sure but actually it's 90 miles South.

Same search, change is to Dallas and still most of these are new construction in Dallas proper. I have 1700 sq ft and a 3 car garage. It's big enough, with a GF who is a hoarder of shoes/clothes as most tend to be, it gets a bit tighter though. I could maybe upgrade to 2,000+ as my baby gets older and needs more space and a twin bed. Ninja, lol, could never do that. I guess I could but wouldn't subject myself to it on purpose. Would have to be a victim of circumstance. My walk in closet is bigger

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Dal...TIC,TOWNHOUSE_type/price;d_sort/new_homes_lt/

You can't find a new construction home for under $250K in Dallas proper that is in a desirable area.

Homes in that post are like 10 minutes away from a big *** federal prison and in a horrible school district. I'm not even going to mention that a lot of those new construction homes were in Pleasant Grove --one of the 10 most dangerous areas in Dallas proper :lol:

The other homes you showed in the burbs are like an hour to downtown in rush hour, and 90 minutes plus to the suburbs of North Dallas where a lot of jobs are.

New construction in the Northern suburbs (Frisco/Plano, etc.) is like $375K+. The southern suburbs are cheaper, but a nice, older (20+ years) house in a good school district with a decent commute to major job centers will run you $275K minimum. Still not bad though. DFW has one of the hottest real estate markets in the US. Anything desirable under $350K is getting snatched up quick. The $400-600K range is crazy competitive right now too and property taxes are sky high.

If you're in the Northern burbs you better work in Frisco or Plano, otherwise your commute to downtown is an hour or longer and you'll be paying $5 in tolls a day to do it.

Last edited:
Arlington resident checking it. Pretty much agree with what newsjs said, if you can afford to live in DC you should. Only plus about living in Arlington is the lower tax rate compared to the district. Realistically, the R-B corridor is so close to DC it's not that much of a difference than living in DC and commuting to other parts of the city. I live about 5 min from Ballston and can get to most of downtown DC in about 15min

What is the RB corridor? I go out every weekend, so I imagine DuPont is my best bet?

What is the RB corridor? I go out every weekend, so I imagine DuPont is my best bet?
Rosslyn Ballston Corridor...its the city (tall-ish buildings, denser living) part of Arlington

but yea if you go out a lot, Dupont is the place to be and if you feel like going to other parts of the city, its close enough to get to the other nightlife locations...

Last edited:
Currently in NJ.

Been debating for awhile.

Love NJ though.

Looked at Texas but they failed us in the election :smh:

Been living in Arlington for almost 3 yrs, it's true that moving into DC by late 20s is typical. It's kind of a graduation, finish college, move to Clarendon/Ballston (3 in a 1BR), then either move out to fairfax or into the city after few years, depending on how well your career is doing.

Planning to move to Adams Morgan or DuPont later this yr, been lazy since my rent is real low for Arlington

edit: and I'm a white guy that wears boat shoes and Clarendon vibe is very fratty, can hang in there fine as long as your tolerance for pink pants and madras shirts is up there

Last edited:
Been living in Arlington for almost 3 yrs, it's true that moving into DC by late 20s is typical. It's kind of a graduation, finish college, move to Clarendon/Ballston (3 in a 1BR), then either move out to fairfax or into the city after few years, depending on how well your career is doing.

Planning to move to Adams Morgan or DuPont later this yr, been lazy since my rent is real low for Arlington

edit: and I'm a white guy that wears boat shoes and Clarendon vibe is very fratty, can hang in there fine as long as your tolerance for pink pants and madras shirts is up there

Awesome, we are moving to Moore Street in Arlington.

I wear Sperrys all summer so I imagine Clarendon is a bit my scene, but looks like I can't lose in DuPont it seems. I'll have to throw a lil something when I make the move. I'm going to Switzerland for a year and then to D.C.

I'll be out there for a week in April, let's all get together.

Really think about what The Blvd has/had. That was not a sustainable area, Woodmore will thrive and Westphalia will too.
Your crazy if you think a town center with a Wegmans and Costco is going to die, a bunch of other great shops/food/gym/banking too.

People's outlook of PG is the EXACT same outlook people had of NE and SE now look whats happening lol.

My neighborhood is full of all races , majority black but a lot of white people live here. Neighborhood has been around for 10 years now and a lot of changes are happening  in Capitol Heights.

Really have no idea why black people think PG will be left out of what is going on in the DC area lol other races are moving in they see the potential.

The question with Woodmore and mostly all of PG is not the places to shop or Wegmans and Costco, but the school system.  Woodmore is surrounded by Glenarden, Upper Marlboro and Capital Heights isn't too far away.  None of these surrounding areas are known for having good school systems for progressive families.

This is my biggest concern.

I actually just got a job in northwest DC that starts in about a month. Was looking at Arlington but glad I came in here to get different perspectives. What about Bethesda/Chevy Chase area?

Back
Top Bottom