2017 NBA Playoffs Thread - CLE @ BOS Game 5 on TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.
roll.gif

Hell of a season for the Wizards. Beal proved to be worth every penny of the max, and I'm glad that John Wall FINALLY started getting some of the recognition (on a national-level) that he deserved. Unfortunately, what did them in was the lack of production from the bench. Inexcusable to have 5 TOTAL points from the bench in a crucial game 7. That falls solely on Ernie Grunfeld and the roster he put together. Not fair to the starters (minus, Gortat) because they more than pulled their own weight.

Anyways, Cavs in 5.
Maybe brooks should have actually played the bench

Hell of a season for the Wizards. Beal proved to be worth every penny of the max, and I'm glad that John Wall FINALLY started getting some of the recognition (on a national-level) that he deserved. Unfortunately, what did them in was the lack of production from the bench. Inexcusable to have 5 TOTAL points from the bench in a crucial game 7. That falls solely on Ernie Grunfeld and the roster he put together. Not fair to the starters (minus, Gortat) because they more than pulled their own weight.

Anyways, Cavs in 5.
Maybe brooks should have actually played the bench

He did, but got next to nothing from the guys he gave minutes to.

If there was one move I would have made it would have been to bench Gortat for Smith. Or maybe try a line up of Morris at the 5 and Oubre at the 4, but then Morris would be getting cooked by Horford. I dunno...a lot of second-guessing, but this bench unit did the team no favors. That falls on Grunfeld.

Smith and Oubre shoulda def played more...but thats classic Brooks, doesnt do much/afraid to shake **** up when it matters most

In sports, everything is results based so i get it

The reality though is, is that in playoff series, unless one team is an overwhelming favorite, you win and lose series on the margins

If beal or Wall take game 2, we could be talking about a totally different outcome. But suh it go. One long rebound, one missed open 10 footer, one missed layup, those are the difference makers.

And I get that the wizards bench was bad and it should be a point of emphasis this summer, but if beal makes that shot to end game 2, the sentiment is a bit different with Ernie I think. On the margins

The reality though is, is that in playoff series, unless one team is an overwhelming favorite, you win and lose series on the margins

If beal or Wall take game 2, we could be talking about a totally different outcome. But suh it go. One long rebound, one missed open 10 footer, one missed layup, those are the difference makers.

And I get that the wizards bench was bad and it should be a point of emphasis this summer, but if beal makes that shot to end game 2, the sentiment is a bit different with Ernie I think. On the margins

Are you still not maxing out Young Zeke?

@Hardens beard @zube42

You guys not believers still?

Regardless if the Wiz won they bench woulda still needed and overahul/upgrade...people been calling for it ALL season, Ernie tried to patch work it but hes not good enough of a GM to have that work out

Yeah wiz bench needs upgrades but brooks didn't play Oubre a single minute and the ones he did play really ain't get much time either. Blaming the bench doesn't work in this situation

It was wall going ice cold for the last several minutes which perhaps was due to... fatigue... due to.... the bench hardly playing

Last edited:
You can blame the Bench AND the coach...Scotty was to scared to play em but at the same time very few coaches will have confidence in that group to actually do anything

Brooks used the bench so scarcely in game 7 it was difficult for them to have an impact, granted they weren't great all season and in the playoffs

Mahinmi: 16 min
Bogdanavic: 16 min
Jennings: 6 min
Smith: 3 min

My main issue with Brooks is his offense never gets guys easy looks. KD and Westbrook had to take turns in OKC carrying the load and essentially the same thing in Washington. He's a great bring the team together/bonding coach, but way below average when it comes to a Xs and Os. You can make the argument Brad Stevens was the difference in this series.

Gortat & Morris really let Washington down in that 4th quarter defensively.

Gortat was just way too slow on every single action Boston was using. Couldn't contest at the rim. Completely useless on that end.

Then Morris looked like his mind was elsewhere whenever Boston had the ball.

Then he had the nerve to try to intimidate Kelly about midway thru the quarter :lol: clown

They're capped out but they'll be hard pressed to accomplish anything with Gortat at the 5.

They traded their 1st for Bobo so they gotta improve within.

Mahinmi has to get right. He is their 2nd highest paid player and was broken all year. Major defensive upgrade over Gortat when healthy.

Regardless if the Wiz won they bench woulda still needed and overahul/upgrade...people been calling for it ALL season, Ernie tried to patch work it but hes not good enough of a GM to have that work out

I'm not saying their bench couldn't stand to improve

Every team looks to improve where they're deficient in in the summer

All I'm saying is that sometimes, W/Ls are the product of players simply missing shots. Like I don't think the Wizard's bench is why they lost this series and they didn't lose the series by losing game 7.

Gortat was just way too slow on every single action Boston was using. Couldn't contest at the rim. Completely useless on that end.

Then he had the nerve to try to intimidate Kelly about midway thru the quarter :lol: clown

They're capped out but they'll be hard pressed to accomplish anything with Gortat at the 5.

Mahinmi has to get right. He is their 2nd highest paid player and was broken all year. Major defensive upgrade over Gortat when healthy.

Repped. Could not have said it better.

Are you still not maxing out Young Zeke?

@Hardens beard @zube42

You guys not believers still?

All depends on where they end up drafting. Like if they have the #1 pick I still would

At the end of the day, I'm not saying this is a flash in the pan for the celtics, but 53 wins shouldn't ever get you the #1 seed, if rondo doesn't get hurt they could have been bounced in RD 1 and the wizards took them to 7 games and should have won game 2

This is a sitauation where a lot of things went right for Boston. Just not confident that Zeke and the Celtics can replicate this success in the coming years, and if they end up drafting a PG while keeping Zeke that just becomes odd.

Brooks used the bench so scarcely in game 7 it was difficult for them to have an impact, granted they weren't great all season and in the playoffs

Mahinmi: 16 min
Bogdanavic: 16 min
Jennings: 6 min
Smith: 3 min

My main issue with Brooks is his offense never gets guys easy looks. KD and Westbrook had to take turns in OKC carrying the load and essentially the same thing in Washington. He's a great bring the team together/bonding coach, but way below average when it comes to a Xs and Os. You can make the argument Brad Stevens was the difference in this series.

Ehh, most teams, if not all teams offense down the stretch look like that for the most part. Not a brooks thing

An update on the bracket challenge:

After round 2, @BlackIntellect is in first place, followed by @IluvJordanXI and @Bennyhinn.

Also I still haven't settled on a prize for the winner yet, so please feel free to suggest something.

Last place belongs to @leemelone and @RBK93

I'm tied for 6th! Unfortunately no Kawhi means the end of the road for me. It was good while it lasted.

LET'S GO CELTICS!!

I was shocked to find out recently that Grunfeld is still the GM. He must have some dirt on the owner.

Honestly, I think I would try to do something to move Gortat this offseason. He can still contribute and his contract is peanuts compared to others around the league. I said it before, but I think you can duplicate his offense between Mahinmi and Smith. You don't pay those guys a combined 20 mil per season to NOT play.

Wizards have no first round pick, are right up against the cap, and have to figure out a way to get the bench better. TALL task....one of which I don't trust Ernie Grunfeld to do.

Zeke is elite man. You max him regardless of who you take. He becomes even more dangerous if Bradley takes another step AND you get a blue chip guard in this draft.

Zeke is elite man. You max him regardless of who you take. He becomes even more dangerous if Bradley takes another step AND you get a blue chip guard in this draft.

There is no way the Celtics keep Zeke, AB, and Fultz on a roster long term

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom