2017 NFL off-season thread / We have moved threads, mod please lock!

Does NickFolarin want to be a Lion fan again?

• Yes, too bad he can't go back

• No, he will wear his Bortles jersey with pride (but really shame)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the football field, yes, but are we also calling him a loser because he's living life? :lol:

Dude is at the beach with a half naked woman and letting his man boobs jiggle without a care in the world.

Would you rather be there or sitting at your desk making someone else rich?

I meant he's a loser for throwing away an NFL career for drugs and booze

That hardly ever ends well regardless if he's living the life for the current moment, in 5 years it'll most likely be a pretty bleak picture for Johnny Football unless he stays clean and he's eventually gonna blow all his money, I can't see his family supporting his habit once he's blown his contract money

On the football field, yes, but are we also calling him a loser because he's living life? :lol:

Dude is at the beach with a half naked woman and letting his man boobs jiggle without a care in the world.

Would you rather be there or sitting at your desk making someone else rich?

I meant he's a loser for throwing away an NFL career for drugs and booze

That hardly ever ends well regardless if he's living the life for the current moment, in 5 years it'll most likely be a pretty bleak picture for Johnny Football unless he stays clean and he's eventually gonna blow all his money, I can't see his family supporting his habit once he's blown his contract money

I'm on the side of believing that Johnny never cared about having a successful NFL career. He went for the 15 mins of fame, that's always been the direction he was trending towards.

When you come from the type of privilege he comes from, I doubt the family will stop supporting him regardless of his drug habit. I'm pretty sure he's not the only one in the family that has drug issues.

Shout out to Jerry for going with Zach Martin instead :lol:

I can only imagine the disaster that would have been Johnny on the cowboys :lol: :smh: Jerruh had a rare moment of clarity

I'm on the side of believing that Johnny never cared about having a successful NFL career. He went for the 15 mins of fame, that's always been the direction he was trending towards.

When you come from the type of privilege he comes from, I doubt the family will stop supporting him regardless of his drug habit. I'm pretty sure he's not the only one in the family that has drug issues.

Shout out to Jerry for going with Zach Martin instead :lol:

could be, I saw he wanted to make a comeback but who knows if that is true or not

still seems wild to me he only lasted 2 years in the league

I understand if your kid can't find a job and you're helping them pay rent for a little or buy them food and **** but Johnny's family is obviously still feeding him with as much money as he possibly wants. Dude is just on vacation at all times buying whatever he wants, and that model chick he's engaged to I'm sure is not cheap. He's gotta buy her whatever she wants too just to make her happy. The family needs to cut him off for a little for his own good so he can focus on actually making a living himself whether that's on the football field in the CFL or wherever he needs to go or doing something else outside of football.

Johnny is a loser. He's going to regret this in the future. Maybe it's true that he didn't want an NFL career, but the reputation he's created for himself might prevent him from securing a good job anywhere.

Last edited:
TBH if Johnny did get drafted by the Cowboys, he would still be in the league. He would have sat behind Romo & Jerry would have put him on the Dez saga restrictions w/ security.

Let be honest with ourselves, the Browns organization would have failed Peyton & Brady if they had them early.

Last edited:
Good read on Kaep and being blackballed

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/...ut-colin-kaepernick-and-why-its-worth-asking/

Not the first time for this, but the people who seem to know the absolute least about Colin Kaepernick and his football career are yelling the loudest and most right about now.

And leaking the most prodigiously.

First, let’s get to the facts as best as I can find, and much of them correspond directly with this story by Yahoo’s Charles Robinson, which hits every point, and does it very well. Read it.

The main points, from Robinson’s piece and from what I’ve heard independently:

-Kaepernick is in very good physical shape, back up to 230 pounds–“his 2013 playing weight,” I was told repeatedly yesterday–and any speculation that he’s out of a football regimen due to his vegan diet is not correct, at least as far as muscle mass.

So if NFL people or their flunkies or rabid anti-Kaepernick fans are trying to say he’s not physically able to play, they are not dealing with anybody who knows Kaepernick.

They’re just spouting out fake information, and you can guess why they’d do that.

-A source tells me that Kaepernick to this point has had no serious talks with any team about a contract and has had no meetings, which means he has not demanded a starting role or a $10M salary or a $5M salary or any of the other things circulating among the NFL gossip mill recently.

I don’t know why 49ers GM John Lynch–who does not know Kaepernick very well–said that he heard Kaepernick was close to a deal that then unraveled weeks ago.

I’m giving Lynch the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just misheard something or was adding up incorrect evidence, but he should not speak about this if he doesn’t know, and I don’t think he knew.

There is zero evidence that any team has come anywhere close to signing Kaepernick, and a source close to Kaepernick told me yesterday that they have not discussed even general money terms with anybody this offseason.

And Kaepernick is not demanding a guaranteed starting role. How could he if he hasn’t had a single serious conversation with a team?

I don’t know if Kaepernick would accept a bare minimum contract like Blaine Gabbert (!!! More on Gabbert in a bit), who just reportedly signed with Arizona to be the second- or third-string QB behind Carson Palmer, but I do know, from the same source, that not a single team has asked if he would accept it.

So how could Kaepernick be demanding anything of anybody? To thin air? It doesn’t make sense, unless we’re talking Fake Information World.

A black ball while ferociously saying it’s not a black ball.

-Yes, I’ve been told by several sources who speak to him often that Kaepernick wants to play this season. And more than just this season.

If you know him at all, you know he loves playing football, and if you just look at it practically, he is committed to spending a lot of money and giving a lot of attention to his social causes, and he can earn the money to pour back into the community and provide more attention as long as he’s playing in the NFL.

Does the activism take time? Yes. But so do a lot of things that other players and QBs do in the offseason, including golf, raise a family, do other charity work or just sit on a beach.

I am told that Kaepernick is working out five days a week, mostly in New York, and when he goes out for one of his community events, he continues to work out on the road.

“He’s not 100% committed” is just a re-setting of the old “he doesn’t study hard enough” line, and while Kaepernick may not be a Peyton Manning-Rich Gannon-style grinder, he certainly studied enough for Jim Harbaugh to believe in him.

And if you think you know QBs better than Harbaugh, then I suggest you line up a college team to play Michigan this season.

The entire recent run of this idea that he is not 100% committed to football came up when Peter King said sources in the 49ers offices suggested that to him, and I would suggest that we know exactly who is most likely to have whispered those things to King, who is quite friendly with Jed York and Paraag Marathe, and those two have a history of leaking disparaging things about… guess who… Colin Kaepernick.

I don’t know that it was York or Marathe who told King this, but who else in that building could even speak about Kaepernick? Who was talking to King? Who has something to gain by trying to keep Kaepernick out of a job?

Not difficult to discern.

That story was the dog-whistle call, sent out by “49ers sources,” who have done this before, and SI allowed them to do it.

With no evidence other than what two 49ers sources gossiped. About someone those sources never predicted would protest the national anthem in the first place and someone they disliked well before the protest, anyway.

No doubt, Jed York stood up for Kaepernick’s right to protest after it happened, and I give Jed full credit for that. I did at the time; I do now.

But it’s not like the Yorks ever warmed up to Kaepernick as his QB or that Kaepernick and Jed ever spent quality time together.

So Kaepernick shows up at a few community events–paid out of his own pocket, FYI, and that gets Jed or whoever clucking to King that this proves Kaepernick might lack the necessary NFL commitment.

As if running community events means you’re not committed to football.

I guess he should be out in a club. Or breaking laws.

Yeah, that would prove the commitment. To Jed and his fellow owners.

-Kaepernick did not “turn down the 49ers’ money for this season.” He was always going to get released this spring because the 49ers weren’t going to pay him that large salary and everybody knew it.

So instead Kaepernick changed the contract so that he could be the one to choose the exit date, not the 49ers. It gave him some extra weeks to find a job (before the April 1 date originally set in the contract)… it turned out not doing him any good, but that was why he did it.

Blaring on about Kaepernick “walking away” from a 49ers 2017 salary is factually incorrect, if you actually know the situation at all, but I guess it’s what passes for fan facts in America these days.

—OK, now to the Gabbert Factor.

I wrote weeks ago that, even though this looked like it could be an NFL black balling of Kaepernick, I also understood that it was an individual decision made by all 32 teams who have football reasons, PR reasons, and all other reasons to make their own call on whether to sign Kaepernick.

At that point, I said this may not be a black ball. To be fair to NFL teams and executives, I was saying I would refrain from calling it a black ball until and unless Gabbert was signed ahead of Kaepernick.

I gave them that. 32 teams, many different systems, it’s not like Kaepernick has been good for a while, go make your decisions.

But come on: Kaepernick is not a terrible QB; he was not terrible last season, and he was coming off of multiple offseason surgeries and just a little slower than usual.

He is not coming off of surgeries going into this season, and he is unquestionably better than Gabbert. Kaepernick was better last summer, even while still in recovery, but Chip Kelly started the season with Gabbert because he wanted Kaepernick at full strength.

Then Kelly benched Gabbert for Kaepernick and kept Kaepernick the entire way. Despite Trent Baalke’s pure disdain for Kaepernick. Would Kelly do that if Kaepernick was comparable in any way to Gabbert’s pure mediocrity-or-worse? No, not a chance.

So that’s why I said I will use Gabbert as a line of demarcation between saying I think this could be a Kaepernick black ball to saying yes, it is some form of black ball, it’s there.

And Gabbert just got signed.

Remember, back when I said Gabbert would be my defining line on this issue, nobody said it was unreasonable. You cannot objectively say that Gabbert is good, not if you watched him in any part of his NFL career. You can’t.

He’s actually quite bad. I would say this if Gabbert espoused every principle I believe in, I would say this if he was my neighbor, I would say this if he said he’d just donated $1M to my favorite charity.

And I would rip Kaepernick if he was bad. I think my track record proves that.

I have criticized his stance with the media during his early 49ers days, and I have criticized him when he has played bad.

So I will defend him vs. lies now, and I will say he’s a decent QB–at least in the 40th to 50th percentile of the 70 or so QBs who will have jobs this season–and if you disagree your opinion is skewed by something.

Meanwhile, Gabbert is bad. Lesser to Kaepernick in every football way.

So he’s the line. And he just got signed.

Hmm, now the guys who secretly hate Kaepernick and want a black ball but can’t admit that… now have to love Blaine Gabbert.

-They’re saying that Gabbert is a better fit for Arizona. My answer: Bad quarterbacks are just bad, they are not a fit anywhere. And also: Gabbert actually isn’t a great fit, IMO.

-They’re saying that Gabbert is a wonderful resource for other QBs on the roster and that Kaepernick tears apart locker rooms, yet…

The 49ers players voted Kaepernick, not Gabbert, as the team’s most inspiring player last year.

This the same award Bryant Young won seven times. And Young is only one of the most respected 49ers players ever–by his teammates.

Finally, yes, I can see why some teams wouldn’t want to deal with the Kaepernick distraction. For some of the 32, he isn’t good enough or isn’t the kind of QB who is worth potentially roiling the fan base or the coaching staff or the Fox News mindset.

Some teams. I can see why he might not be a fit for some systems. Some systems. But you’re telling me E.J. Manuel is?

Kaepernick was not a distraction in the 49ers locker room–in the middle of a horrendous season, when other players could’ve easily used him as an excuse–and he sure wasn’t the reason the season was horrendous.

Jed York hired every person that led to the 2-14 season, and yet he’s the one–allegedly–whispering that Kaepernick isn’t committed to football and Jed York is the one who is only praised by his national buddies.

Just run that through your head and ask yourself, is the right person getting minimized here?

The most rabid of these people want a black balling of Kaepernick, and maybe many NFL owners and executives want it, too. They are dying for a black ball. They love that it’s happening.

So why not just admit it and say this is a black ball? I don’t get all the cloak and dagger on this, and yet here we are.

Actually, that’s what this is–not an outright colluding “he must not be signed” full NFL black balling of Kaepernick, but a whisper campaign, from inside 49ers HQ, around the league, and through the regular media channels, warning anybody who might even be thinking of signing him that there will

be some kind of PR and NFL establishment hell to pay if you do.

It’s how they do it now, I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom