2017 Tax Season and Return Thread Vol. Tax Podcast Mixed In?

I filed on the 27th Turbo tax sent a text saying I was accepted on the 28th ,but nothing from the IRS yet. How long does it take them to update?

People in general tend to freak out when they see popups on Turbo Tax when you complete your Federal. They assume the state has to be done right away at that very moment.

For MD:
http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Reso...g/Individuals_Electronic_Filing/default.shtml
It mentions using iFile for free
http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Reso...ls_Electronic_Filing/iFile_Requirements.shtml
https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/Individuals/IndivLogin/default.asp
Wally correct me I'm wrong but don't you need to make below a certain amount to file state for free on those sites?

My federal carme today now waiting on state. How long after should that come ?

Yes lol not sure why yal keep asking this .

If you have a simple W2 use TurboTax.
What's considered a simple W2? 

You should do it on your own, its super easy and saves you from paying someone. TurboTax is still more user friendly I would use that if you only have W2s to file, Freetaxusa is only good because TT stops you and makes you pay for an upgrade package if you have a 1099 form to file, freetaxusa lets you do this for free (all you do is pay the 12.99 for state, theres a 10 pct discount somewhere here). For the health insurance, I realized that you either have to go through healthcare.gov and file an exemption and get some kind of code, or you can do it directly with the Tax return program while filing you can just click the months you were covered and the rest you can click on some stuff to see if you can be exempt through hardship etc. Mainly a lot of people here were able to do so by just clicking it was unaffordable during that time and got exempt.  Hope this helps man. 
Yeah I don't have state taxes as I live in FL. 

I appreciate the response bro, I just wan't to gather as much Information as possible before I attempt to file on my own. I've received (2) of my W-2's so far I'm waiting on 1 more.

(1) from the temp agency from Jan-August ( I contacted them but they sent my W-2 to my old address, so once its returned back then they'll mail it to me)

(1) from my full time city job from Aug-December

(1) from my part time job from Oct-December

I've been doing the "turbo tax estimator" just to see now, how close is that normally to what is actually given back? I know I need to figure out what I contributed to my retirement plan in 2016 via my job today, I'll probably call pension at work and ask them.

Checked my account and the feds already deposited my refund, just like the website said.

Seems like they're on time, for once :lol:

Jus filed with freetaxUSA. Feels good payin only $11 and some change rather than $100+ TurboTax usually get outta me. My girl was skeptical at first but she saw the light...

I went with TT. They wanted $35 for access to last years return but I didn't need that so I picked the free package and manually answered questions about last year.

Is it hard to do? My brother keeps trying to tell me "man bro becareful doing it on your own man, becareful don't want to mess it up!" 
indifferent.gif

Is it hard to do? My brother keeps trying to tell me "man bro becareful doing it on your own man, becareful don't want to mess it up!" :stoneface:

Turbo Tax literally walks you through everything. Are you just filling a W2? If so, it's really easy. There are also side questions along the way if your confused about something.

The only hard part for me is the expenses and storage cost and other things I forgot to account for. I'm taking my time this weekend

Has anyone every claimed someone's kids on their taxes?

School me on TurboTax :nerd: I'm looking to use the service this year as I've heard it's free for your first time. Last year I wasn't able to and had to go to an accountant.

School me on TurboTax :nerd: I'm looking to use the service this year as I've heard it's free for your first time. Last year I wasn't able to and had to go to an accountant.
I've used Turbo since 2007 dope program and haven't had any issues.

So I filed my return and it's been accepted by both federal and state. So happens I just received a 1099-int that I forgot about, what do I do now? It's $50 so it's not much. Do I amend? I did everything though turbotax if that matters.

You have two options

1. File amended tax return
2. Wait for IRS notice of supplemental tax

If you were getting a refund, I'd just wait.

It's free for simple W-2's. The only time you have to pay is if you itemize your deductions or enter other income, such as a W-2G.

Try out Credit Karma's new tax application. The entire thing is free, even if you itemize and it is very user friendly, especially for beginners.

Last edited:

It's free for simple W-2's. The only time you have to pay is if you itemize your deductions or enter other income, such as a W-2G.

Try out Credit Karma's new tax application. The entire thing is free, even if you itemize and it is very user friendly, especially for beginners.

My W-2 is likely as simple as it gets :lol: so I'll def look into TT and CK.

Thanks fellas.

The CreditKarma one was so user friendly and even to itemize was :pimp:. A damn teenager could do it :lol:. Whoever did the UI for that needs an award for how they did it as well as Credit Karma for letting it be free

You have two options

1. File amended tax return
2. Wait for IRS notice of supplemental tax

If you were getting a refund, I'd just wait.

I just received a 1099-int also but I filed a couple days ago. Whats a notice of supplemental tax?

I do taxes in NYC. H&R blocked certified. Will come to your job/work/coffee shop and talk business. Free estimation on the spot. PM me. Forewarning, I don't do illegal things. I don't want to get locked up.

Back
Top Bottom