2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, Charlie Hustle: Rest In Power, Willie. RIP, Pete.

Guaranteed money vs what if money
It’s hard to leave $150 mil on the table. Granted he could easily make that IF he were to perform, but maybe he’s not confident he would

Bet on yourself! 30 yr old would have cashed out again. And then go to AL in case no DL in NL.

Some players value security over money.

Sure Harper could've cashed out 2-3 times in his career but can't knock him if this is what he wanted.

Wait...the initial hangup between Bryce and the Phillies was about the opt out (obviously they moved on) either being in year 3 or 5. IF the Dodgers deal is true, he's an absolute IDIOT for not taking that 45m deal.

Anyways...Nats will be fine. Harper has always been crazily overrated, except for his anomaly of a season a few years back when he was MVP. Dude got treated w/ kid gloves here in DC. Philly is a different beast. They actually care about their sports. He's going to get eaten alive by their fans and media. 0-20 slumps in DC are hardly a blip on the radar. :lol:

31A1AD2E-F76B-4B06-A15E-3CEB5C0E8872.jpeg

Not sure if serious

Again, I get the injury/security logic for Bryce to sign what he signed. But I am signing THIS offer and not even thinking twice about it.

He woukd have 9 years to make up $150M to match what he is getting from Philly. NINE YEARS.

With how contracts are climbing, he will easily make that $150M back, plus a ton more. And even if he falls off, there is no way he doesnt average 16M for the next 9 years.

He’s a moron if that’s true lol boras screws his clients over. Only reason he didn’t take that four year deal would be boras selfish *** wanting the 330 mill for the commission. Common sense says two shorter deals in a row would’ve amounted to far more money.

Thank you.

4 180

Next deal would probably be 4 200

Then 4 100-150

A lot of money he missed out on but who knows. He’s always getting hurt, he could fall off hard in a couple seasons and wouldn’t have got much

I wanted Ricketts to pony up and I think he's stupid for not trying, but 4/180 was a no, and 13/330 with a no trade and no opt outs.......yeesh. I can't be too mad at him even tho he just added a multi billion dollar TV deal. He better be ready to spend soon.

Congrats to Harp and Philly. Will be hugely interesting when he faces Scherzer/Stras etc.

The article with Bryce and Boras is the lamest thing ever..

This dude and his wife are on one..have fun in philly lol welp 329 million richer than I am so who cares

I can see it from both sides. It's easy to see why Phillies fans would be ecstatic. John Middleton and Matt Klentak promised to splash big cash this offseason, and they delivered. You have to believe the city of Philly would be disappointed if they struck out on Manny AND Bryce. Even after adding Segura, Realmuto, Robertson and "Cutch." Also locking Nola up in a very team-friendly deal. Harp instantly becomes their centerpiece to build around for years to come. Did Philly overpay? Yes. Is the contract length absurd? Of course. The Phils ultimately did what they had to in fending off vicious competition and bountiful suitors. LAD, SF, etc.

On the flip side, Bryce can be very, very streaky with the bat. He could very well mash 10 homers a month like we saw in May. But then somehow follow it up with a disastrous month of June, where he was batting sub-.200. The Phils are essentially paying a premium for the 2015 MVP-caliber player we saw. If Harp gives you anything like the last three seasons, the deal is a complete dud and Philly likely won't be in the WS conversation.

Nats fans can't be mad in the slightest. Lerner and Rizzo made an extremely competitive offer with the 10-year, $300M offer. That's not the kind of bluff that you pull off for publicity and merely to appease the fan base. Washington was serious in retaining Bryce. I honestly think the Nats's OF will be fine moving forward with Soto, Robles and Eaton. That group is still above-average, especially when you compare to my lowly Indians's outfield.

People getting on Harp about the perceived loss in value and future money. OK, I get it. But there's also something to be said for stability and putting down roots long term. Him and Kayla Varner have been fairly public about settling down and building a family, from what I've read. If we keep it trill, let's say Bryce lost $70M for the sake of having a quantifiable number, does it really matter to him? In the grand scheme of things, is $400M going to change Bryce and Kayla's lives much more than $330M would? They're set for life either way. Depending on how they manage and invest their money, their kids won't have to work a day in their lives either, if they so choose.

For everyone in here arguing Harp should have taken the LAD deal for four years, $180M. I understand, my personality as a competitor would go that route. To bet on myself and hit the open market again for an even larger contract. Hypothetically, Bryce would be 30 when that Dodgers offer expires. If you take his career numbers averaged out, is any club really going to give him $150M over five years ($30M AAV) at that point? Or even $150M over six years ($25M AAV)?

Boras did his job. He got numerous offers better than what the Nats gave. Phils and Dodgers. You might say that the extra years for a 'paltry' $30M more is minute, but how many 36-year-olds are getting three-year, $30M ($10M AAV) deals?

Edit:
Plus whatever the Giants actually offered. Was that leaked to the public? Had to be better than Washington if Harp was seriously considering.

Who's left out there?

Kimbrel?
As others in this thread have mentioned, Dallas Keuchel is the last 'big name' left. Supposedly he's firm about wanting five years, upwards of $100M in total value. I think his leverage was hurt by premier SP signing team-friendly deals, which obviously sets and impacts the positional market. Nola for 4/$45M and "Sevy" for 4/$40M. At those rumored Keuchel figures, how can you not opt for a guy like Kluber in the trade market. He's flat-out a better pitcher and comes cheaper, at just under $53M over the next three seasons. Under team control through 2021. Yeah, it'll take top-tier prospects, particularly in the OF. But Kluber is an ace. Keuchel is a #3, possibly could argue fringe #2.

Edit:
I know he was a great find in Japan by the Cards, but that's crazy Mikolas got an extension for 4/$68M when the guys I mentioned above, Nola and Severino, got upwards of $22M less.

Yes.
The Phillies spent more $, got the sexier name, but the Mets have strengthened their weaknesses.

Our pitching staff has handled Harper decently throughout his career.

Im still picking the Mets to win the Pennant.

tenor.gif

Again, I get the injury/security logic for Bryce to sign what he signed. But I am signing THIS offer and not even thinking twice about it.

He woukd have 9 years to make up $150M to match what he is getting from Philly. NINE YEARS.

With how contracts are climbing, he will easily make that $150M back, plus a ton more. And even if he falls off, there is no way he doesnt average 16M for the next 9 years.

Nah, I got it on Harper's part

Going with the safe long term contract is a good idea. I still think Harper should have added opt out in the contract

I find this hard to believe on Dodgers' part. Maybe around $35 mill a year. But $45 mill a year? Oh geez

What ever you want to say about the contract, but I can respect him wanting to stay in one city for the whole deal.

Giants wanted to just satisfy the fan base, they tried really hard and in reality should have been able to afford him.

12-310, hmm tough with income taxes

Let’s go get Adam Jones and Gio and be done with it.

I will never, ever, be a fan of that toolbox ...

Am I bitter? A tad ... But I actually dont think Harper is worth that money ... He will be playing first base by year 6 of the deal ... He is a terrible defensive player ... Terrible ... He sucks ... 30 HRs and 100 rbi be damned ...

But the thing that does piss me off is seeing an employer do everything it could to accommodate their home grown star and watch that star poo poo them for 3 years and 30M ... I hear the baseball is business talk, but no way in hell the Lerner's wouldnt have gone 13 for 330, ket alone choosing Philly for 3/30 ... I will never believe that the Nats didnt go for that ... Something else happened ...

In the end, the Lerner's nixing the trade to Houston looks like **** ... The placating looks embarrassing ... But the Nats are a better team without $26M more on the payroll ...

bryce y :frown:

"Chicago is my favorite city to eat"
*seen at multiple blackhawks games*
*Harper jersey on the Jordan statue*

im gonna be ******* sick

Reactions: HIM
DD885F72-EF47-4113-9805-5112D1AFD3AB.png
I will never, ever, be a fan of that toolbox ...

Am I bitter? A tad ... But I actually dont think Harper is worth that money ... He will be playing first base by year 6 of the deal ... He is a terrible defensive player ... Terrible ... He sucks ... 30 HRs and 100 rbi be damned ...

But the thing that does piss me off is seeing an employer do everything it could to accommodate their home grown star and watch that star poo poo them for 3 years and 30M ... I hear the baseball is business talk, but no way in hell the Lerner's wouldnt have gone 13 for 330, ket alone choosing Philly for 3/30 ... I will never believe that the Nats didnt go for that ... Something else happened ...

In the end, the Lerner's nixing the trade to Houston looks like **** ... The placating looks embarrassing ... But the Nats are a better team without $26M more on the payroll ...

https://amp.si.com/mlb/2019/02/28/b...rred-money-phillies?__twitter_impression=true

Nats fans can't be mad in the slightest. Lerner and Rizzo made an extremely competitive offer with the 10-year, $300M offer. That's not the kind of bluff that you pull off for publicity and merely to appease the fan base. Washington was serious in retaining Bryce. I honestly think the Nats's OF will be fine moving forward with Soto, Robles and Eaton. That group is still above-average, especially when you compare to my lowly Indians's outfield.
If the rumored deferred money in the Nats offer is accurate, they didn’t make a competitive offer. Nats definitely should’ve matched this IMO. If they don’t re-sign Rendon the fans not already pissed will turn.

That being said, I do like the OF regardless. If they get a full healthy season of Eaton and a repeat of last year from Soto they’ll be fine. Robles should provide a spark in CF as well.

Back
Top Bottom