2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

Recent deals, besides Morton to ATL:
Minor to KC - 2/$18M
Trevor May to NYM - 2/$15M
Joe Ross back to Nats - 1/$1.5M
E-Rod back to BOS - 1/$8.3M
NYY plans to tender Gary

I gotta hear the entire thing for context as well.

But winning a World Series is hard, even if you make all the right moves and do the right things to field a quality product. Look at the Dodgers prior to this season and the Braves when they dominated the 90’s and were having 100 win seasons in the early 2000’s.

As an organization, you want to win as many championships as possible. You want to have a solid farm system to where you can consistently pump out quality home grown talent while having the resources to improve the team via free agency when said move makes sense. But ultimately you can make all the right moves to put your organization in a position to succeed and increase their chances of winning championship(s), but even with that it’s hard.

Hell no team has repeated as World Series champs since the 1998-00 Yankees, and during that stretch aside from the 01 Yankees and 09 Phillies, no defending champ has even made it back to the World Series the following season.

What you're saying is right. But trying to win a championship shouldn't be looked at as a different path as building a good process and culture which is why I thought his take was odd. You need the initial goal to reach the ultimate one. It doesn't have to be either or

The key issue I see with building a foundation is are you letting those who run the ship to see it through? Most franchises across all sports hit reset extremely fast and you're stuck in a cycle of repeating the same errors

Not defending champs, but getting there

Rangers went to the World Series back to back years in 2010 and 2011. Giants went and won 3 in 5 years - 2010, 2012 and 2014. Royals 2014 and 2015.

Some don’t hit reset soon enough and wind up stuck somewhere in the middle thinking you’re still contending. Giants and possibly/maybe the Cards come to mind.

yeah true but they've both won something not too long ago. I can get that holding on too long when you had some success

There's franchises who have had zero and they cut bait two seconds into reaching the dock

What you're saying is right. But trying to win a championship shouldn't be looked at as a different path as building a good process and culture which is why I thought his take was odd. You need the initial goal to reach the ultimate one. It doesn't have to be either or

The key issue I see with building a foundation is are you letting those who run the ship to see it through? Most franchises across all sports hit reset extremely fast and you're stuck in a cycle of repeating the same errors

If I read your first part correct, I agree with you. Building the process and culture is ultimately done with the intent of competing for and trying to win championships, and do that, you have to be good consistently.

Yeah there’s extremely rare cases like the 97 Marlins where they signed a bunch of guys and blew it up the following season, but for most teams, building a winning culture and trying to compete to win championships is the ultimate goal.

Some don’t hit reset soon enough and wind up stuck somewhere in the middle thinking you’re still contending. Giants and possibly/maybe the Cards come to mind.

The Giants were a weird case to me. They never made the playoffs 2 seasons in a row during their run where they won the World Series 3 times. They were never really dominant in the regular season and there was a lot of roster turnover between the 2010, 12, and 14 teams outside of their main core guys. To their credit, they won 3 times in 5 seasons so what they did worked. But given that they were never really dominant per say in the regular season, once guys started getting older and the talent wasn’t what it was prior, the decline was quick. I could see why they tried riding it out though. They had a good 2016, played the Cubs tough. I’m sure they thought they could make one last run up until 2017 or so.

But when you’ve won something and have had that success, it’s tougher to hit that reset button even when it’s due. But it’s crazy how some teams are in a constant rebuilding cycle.

idk how I feel about white sox trading away dunning for lance lynn

I liked dunning a lot on the sox

idk how I feel about white sox trading away dunning for lance lynn

I liked dunning a lot on the sox
Oh man Lynn is such a great addition though.
That team is primed for big things on the Offensive side of the ball and he’s exactly what they need on the Dede side end. Lynn might be the most reliable SP in the League. I don’t think anybody threw more 7inning games than him. He’s going to give you 6-7 innings every 5 days. 110pitches every time out.

The Giants were a weird case to me. They never made the playoffs 2 seasons in a row during their run where they won the World Series 3 times. They were never really dominant in the regular season and there was a lot of roster turnover between the 2010, 12, and 14 teams outside of their main core guys. To their credit, they won 3 times in 5 seasons so what they did worked. But given that they were never really dominant per say in the regular season, once guys started getting older and the talent wasn’t what it was prior, the decline was quick. I could see why they tried riding it out though. They had a good 2016, played the Cubs tough. I’m sure they thought they could make one last run up until 2017 or so.

But when you’ve won something and have had that success, it’s tougher to hit that reset button even when it’s due. But it’s crazy how some teams are in a constant rebuilding cycle.

If the Giants had a reliable closer, I am convinced the Cubs lose game 5 of that series and are still looking to break the curse. And I will die on that hill.

If the Giants had a reliable closer, I am convinced the Cubs lose game 5 of that series and are still looking to break the curse. And I will die on that hill.

I’ve thought the same about that series. If Romo doesn’t crap the bed. Pressure is all on the Cubs in that game 5 and they would’ve been vulnerable for sure.

I’ve thought the same about that series. If Romo doesn’t crap the bed. Pressure is all on the Cubs in that game 5 and they would’ve been vulnerable for sure.
The entire bullpen **** the bed that series. I’ll go so far as to say if Bumgarner pitched a better game 3 it would’ve spared the bullpen 1 more day and maybe they would’ve pitched better in game 4. But, we’ll never know.

The entire bullpen **** the bed that series. I’ll go so far as to say if Bumgarner pitched a better game 3 it would’ve spared the bullpen 1 more day and maybe they would’ve pitched better in game 4. But, we’ll never know.

I do remember he had a rough game 3. I think Jake Arreita hit a home run off him in that game. Game 1 and 4 were definitely winnable for the Giants that series.

Ehhhh I dont know about that man. The game went 13 innings. Our bullpen faced 7 total hitters in game 4.

Back
Top Bottom