2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

What purchasing are they doing besides a 1 yr Kluber deal??

Signed Kluber, re-signed DJ, Cole, Giancarlo, Aroldis, Britton etc. within the past few years. You don't think they've been aggressive in an attempt to end their brief drought?

You're an LA fan right?

If you were in/around NY you'd know there's a little bit of pressure and their recent spending has been indicative of that.

Signed Kluber, re-signed DJ, Cole, Giancarlo, Aroldis, Britton etc. within the past few years. You don't think they've been aggressive in an attempt to end their brief drought?

You're an LA fan right?

If you were in/around NY you'd know there's a little bit of pressure and their recent spending has been indicative of that.

mom from NY and live in Houston now. I’ve been a Yankee fan my whole life. Those resigning are guys they’ve had for a few years now. Going out and resigning guys that were already (especially guys in their arbitration years) on your roster, isn’t purchasing a championship.

mom from NY and live in Houston now. I’ve been a Yankee fan my whole life. Those resigning are guys they’ve had for a few years now. Going out and resigning guys that were already (especially guys in their arbitration years) on your roster, isn’t purchasing a championship.

Yes it is. It's exactly what the Dombroski Red Sox did and Dodgers did. When you have owners that are leaps and bounds ahead of the league in terms of willingness to spend, pressure exists to win. Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, Dodgers, etc. Not really a novel concept here.

The Yankees are currently top 2 in payroll with a lot of good home grown talent and big agency signings both in the lineup and staff over the past few years and haven't won in over a decade. It's time. Yankees fans I know in real life are sick of the one and dones and feel the same way.

This is not a knock. It is a compliment. The roster is great. Kudos to the front office.

Last edited:
Buying a championship was always labeled as signing multiple fee agents not already on your roster. Now we’re moving the goal posts and including maintaining our roster? Nah that’s not it. Everyone in that lineup now was in that lineup last year. Only addition so far has been Kluber coming off injury on a one year deal.

and please don’t chalk up to what Dombroski does as the same. Man is known for destroying farm systems and signing excessive deals.

Edit - I know it wasn’t a knock. That’s just always been in the past. Not seeing it when it’s maintaining the current roster. I mean some of those deals are arbitration years that would have to be done regardless.

Last edited:
Buying a championship was always labeled as signing multiple fee agents not already on your roster.

Always labeled? News to me. Spending is spending, whether it's to add or retain talent. But $36M for Cole. $29M+ for Stanton, $15M for DJ, $13M for Britton, $11M for Kluber, etc. in free agency alone from what I can recall.

Also I never referred to this offseason alone. You seem to be stuck on that. I've been talking about the past few years. They've been pretty liberal in attempt to bring one home.

So yeah in my opinion spending a ton like the Sox or Yankees as opposed to doing the sabermetrics or moneyball thing with less payroll like the Rays or A's leans towards buying championship. Quite literally. And that's not a bad thing. It's just a different approach. When you have a lot of money committed, you tend to have higher expectations.

Last edited:
Stanton was a trade. Chapman was originally a trade as well. You could make the argument he was a resign as well. DJ is a resign the same year Harper and Machado got huge deals. Cole was going to get that kind of money from other teams regardless. So if another team spent that on Cole, would it be looked at the same way? I ask because it just seems when other teams hand out big contracts it’s just free agency but the yanks do it, it’s buying championships.

Stanton was a trade. Chapman was originally a trade as well. You could make the argument he was a resign as well. DJ is a resign the same year Harper and Machado got huge deals. Cole was going to get that kind of money from other teams regardless. So if another team spent that on Cole, would it be looked at the same way? I ask because it just seems when other teams hand out big contracts it’s just free agency but the yanks do it, it’s buying championships.

Pretty sure I just put the Red Sox, Dodgers, Astros and Angels in the same category. More than once. Add the Mets to that list.

So that's what it is. You're just a little touchy because it's the team you root for. I get it. Disregard the Yankees then and replace them with the Red Sox if it makes you feel better, because they've had the same approach before Bloom and essentially paid their way to a few championships because they have good owners who were willing to open up their wallet to retain and add talent.

Bigger wallet, more high end talent. Doesn't always work, but the optics of it look worse when you lose than teams who lose that don't spend as much. Like the 2012 Red Sox paying out the *** for AG, Crawford and others and not even making the playoffs. That's why I say the Yankees need to win this year. At least get to the WS, based on their payroll, talent of their roster and 10+ years without a banner.

Not touchy. They just signed 2 guys to relatively low annual deals and the “yanks buying a championship” talk rolled out. Didn’t really matchup for this offseason sense most of the deals that were done by them, were for guys on their own roster to avoid arbitration.

Not touchy. They just signed 2 guys to relatively low annual deals and the “yanks buying a championship” talk rolled out. Didn’t really matchup for this offseason sense most of the deals that were done by them, were for guys on their own roster to avoid arbitration.

No it was prompted by Kluber, DJ, Gerrit last year, the payroll and their recent failures. It didn't require this much energy. Baseball is the only one of the big 4 where you can actually buy a championship. Still have to play the games, but more money is good. This was exhausting.

But good luck. I'm hoping for a Dodgers-Yankees WS again for the fire power combined on both rosters.

**** move.

1611033618398.png

This guy clearly isn't good with the ladies if he has to send penis pics to them. His firing is inevitable within 24 hours!

Major dweeb, and an exponentially bigger creep.

Guessing other women will step forward if this is how much time he put into one woman who wasn’t even close to interested.

This guy clearly isn't good with the ladies if he has to send penis pics to them. His firing is inevitable within 24 hours!

Not good with the ladies is an understatement, you'd think he'd get the message with over 60 messages without a reply.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him fired before noon, a promotion for Zack Scott from AGM to GM, and then announcing the signing of Springer to draw the attention away 🤷‍♂️

So...ESPN has been sitting on this story for like 4-5 years? Cubs win a championship, a Cubs employee knew and ESPN still kept this story hidden? Dude went to Arizona for years, still no story?

Last edited:
So...ESPN has been sitting on this story for like 4-5 years? Cubs win a championship, a Cubs employee knew and ESPN still kept this story hidden? Dude went to Arizona for years, still no story?

From the article:

In December 2017, ESPN obtained the messages after being alerted to their existence by a baseball source. ESPN reached out to the woman, interviewed her and was prepared to report about the allegations but did not do so after the woman concluded her career would be harmed if the story came out. ESPN has periodically kept in touch with the woman -- who since has left journalism -- and, in recent days, she decided to come forward only on the condition of anonymity because she fears backlash in her home country.

About that first sentence, who was “the baseball source”? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom