2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

Has anybody looked at the Breakdown of Tatis Jr contract?
I sure haven't but a coworker brought it to my attention today.
At first I think Meh, probably nothing to worry about, so I looked up his Agent and then other players this Agent Managed to see if previous contracts were of similar structure and I find Tatis Jr structure as a pretty unusual structure(saw similar structure w/ Deshaun Watson Contract)

Well, the...hold on, let me link the Contract
Okay so the first 4years of the contract pay Tatis Jr 24million total+ 2.4million annual bonus +10million signing (34-36million total)
Year 1. 1million w/ 700k bonus
Year 2. 5million w/700k bonus
Year 3. 7million w/700k bonus
Year 4. 11million w/700k bounus
Initial 10million signing bonus..

So 34-36million is paid in the first 4years(roughly 10% of the total contract)
90% remainder or 300million is paid out over the remaining 10years at an average of 30million per year.

Does that not seem suspect? Looking up Riley, Nolan, Seager, Macahado, Lindor and none of them have a structure so weak in the first 3-5years.
He claims that Tatis Jr did this so in the even tthat he was caught cheating it would be in the next 3-5 years and it wouldn't cost him as much over his suspension?

I mean, this sounds like a take that was found or read on Reddit and passed off as his own thinking but nonetheless, **** makes sense a little bit.
They bought out his arb years where he'd be making peanuts, that's why the first few are low, and then it gradually goes up. It's better for them bc cost of money will be lower in the future. It's not bc he was expecting a suspension.

That would be Buehler's 2nd Tommy John. He had his first when he got drafted out of high school.
Thats what happens when you dont fix your mechanical flaw and just assume that the TJ surgery would fix any future problems. Called this in this thread years ago.

Cueto is by far my favorite SP to watch with Alex Manaoah catching up quick but, I’m always surprised Cueto doesn’t get more flack for his antics. Sometimes I get embarrassed rooting for him, he’s a borderline Clown

Angels just did that?
Oh my.
I haven’t seen an MLB player beat the hotbox in over 30years.

I can’t believe how bad they are.
Flood gates opened after that.

Back
Top Bottom