2023 Official MLB Season Thread

They’re not going to fire a coach over what the Miami players voted they wanted to do. Should the organization come under fire? Absolutely. It’s more their call, than Mattingly’s.

They’re not going to fire a coach over what the Miami players voted they wanted to do. Should the organization come under fire? Absolutely. It’s more their call, than Mattingly’s.

If he knew and I’m assuming he did as the manager, he needs to go. He should have stepped up like nah, we can’t do this.

Here's how it reportedly went down Sunday in Philly. Further proof here that players and coaches should not be making any gameday decisions on this right now and the fact they are put in that position is stunning to me.

Ahead of the Miami Marlins' game Sunday against the Philadelphia Phillies, the Marlins found out that starting pitcher Jose Urena would not be available to play. Urena had tested positive for Covid-19, according to multiple outlets, including ESPN and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

But the players decided in a group chat to play the game anyway, Marlins shortstop Miguel Rojas said in a video call with reporters. "We made the decision that we're going to continue to do this and we're going to continue to be responsible and just play the game as hard as we can," Rojas said. The Marlins went on to win the game, 11-6.

As of Monday, 11 Marlins players and two coaches tested positive for coronavirus.

On Tuesday, the Miami Marlins told CNN that the team had alerted the league and the Philadelphia Phillies of the team's "positive tests" ahead of Sunday's game. The Marlins say the Phillies "concurred to play" despite the revelation of positive tests.

A reporter followed up with Rojas Sunday, asking if in that group chat there was a discussion Sunday morning that maybe they should not play that day. "That was never the mentality," Rojas replied. "We knew this could happen at some point. We came to the ballpark and were ready to play. It was never a thought that we weren't going to play."

After the game, Marlins manager Don Mattingly was asked if the team had been considered Sunday morning not playing the game. "You never really considered not playing from my standpoint," Mattingly said. "We're taking risks every day. Every day we're taking risks so that's what the players all around the league are doing. You know you travel all the time. ... You're in planes, you're in buses, you're in different hotels. It's a risk that we take. You look at scenarios: Could we have played it at a different time of the year," Mattingly said. "You know, and our guys make the decision, right? And maybe it was a discussion, but the conclusion they came to was that we're taking chances every day. I think it was more about the flight and kinda seeing where we're at before we fly."

If he knew and I’m assuming he did as the manager, he needs to go. He should have stepped up like nah, we can’t do this.

that’s an organizational and league call. That’s above his pay grade. All those positive tests were sent to the league office. They could of easily called/postponed it. Instead, MLB left it up to the Miami players and they voted to play.

Here's how it reportedly went down Sunday in Philly. Further proof here that players and coaches should not be making any gameday decisions on this right now and the fact they are put in that position is stunning to me.

Ahead of the Miami Marlins' game Sunday against the Philadelphia Phillies, the Marlins found out that starting pitcher Jose Urena would not be available to play. Urena had tested positive for Covid-19, according to multiple outlets, including ESPN and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

But the players decided in a group chat to play the game anyway, Marlins shortstop Miguel Rojas said in a video call with reporters. "We made the decision that we're going to continue to do this and we're going to continue to be responsible and just play the game as hard as we can," Rojas said. The Marlins went on to win the game, 11-6.

As of Monday, 11 Marlins players and two coaches tested positive for coronavirus.

On Tuesday, the Miami Marlins told CNN that the team had alerted the league and the Philadelphia Phillies of the team's "positive tests" ahead of Sunday's game. The Marlins say the Phillies "concurred to play" despite the revelation of positive tests.

A reporter followed up with Rojas Sunday, asking if in that group chat there was a discussion Sunday morning that maybe they should not play that day. "That was never the mentality," Rojas replied. "We knew this could happen at some point. We came to the ballpark and were ready to play. It was never a thought that we weren't going to play."

After the game, Marlins manager Don Mattingly was asked if the team had been considered Sunday morning not playing the game. "You never really considered not playing from my standpoint," Mattingly said. "We're taking risks every day. Every day we're taking risks so that's what the players all around the league are doing. You know you travel all the time. ... You're in planes, you're in buses, you're in different hotels. It's a risk that we take. You look at scenarios: Could we have played it at a different time of the year," Mattingly said. "You know, and our guys make the decision, right? And maybe it was a discussion, but the conclusion they came to was that we're taking chances every day. I think it was more about the flight and kinda seeing where we're at before we fly."

it’s most definitely an organizational/league call. Players and coaches have a one track mindset.

As much as I hate the state of Florida, I feel like this situation was 100% the fault of Major League Baseball and not the team. The fact that there were zero league mandated protocols in place for when a player tests positive is absolutely mind blowing.

D15D455E-164B-487F-8119-F04F0A8F9695.jpeg

So Florida

So Manfred and the MLB knew? I’m so lost. This guy really needs to be fired. Other teams have had positive tests and have done it right. Mattingly comparing this to taking a plane or bus to a game is so damn dumb. I can not wait for Manfred to get fired.

AND THEY SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST ALL WORN MASKS WHILE PLAYING. ****IN MORONS.

Last edited:
As much as I hate the state of Florida, I feel like this situation was 100% the fault of Major League Baseball and not the team. The fact that there were zero league mandated protocols in place for when a player tests positive is absolutely mind blowing.

nah you can put this on all of them. MLB, the Marlins FO, the Marlins players, the state of Florida. Somewhere along that chain someone has to have two brain cells to say “hey this is serious we shouldn’t put ourselves and others at risk”. But then you have dumbass Rojas and the other players trying to be badass. Then you have mattingly and the FO not stepping in despite common sense. the state of Florida is self explanatory.

finally, manfred. No protocol in place and no oversight/authority over the situation. Dude has epically failed in 2020 from the Trashtros to MLBPA negotiations and now this. What an idiot.

this doesn’t sound like a bad idea...I forgot we have 4 stadiums in NY...including the ones in Coney Island and Staten Island

this doesn’t sound like a bad idea...I forgot we have 4 stadiums in NY...including the ones in Coney Island and Staten Island
I been said this

I don't like the Astros either but going at the head with 96 mph is reckless & dangerous

Back
Top Bottom