2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Man...one day I got bored and got lost in so many Nolan Ryan stats it was insane. The guy was ABSURD :lol:

His first no-hitter was 1973. His last was 1991.
At age 40 he led the NL in ERA and strikeouts. He went 8-16.
He led the league in strikeouts in his age 40, 41, 42, and 43 seasons.
He pitched a no-hitter at 44.
His fast ball was hitting 95 at the age of 46.
He had 215 ten-strikeout games (that's 105 more than Roger Clemens)
He had 277 wild pitches (51 more than the next highest)
On June 14, 1974 he pitched 13 innings and threw 235 pitches in one game. He threw again three days later and shut out the Yankees over 6 innings.
His lifetime batting average allowed was .204
7 no hitters, 12 one-hitters, and 18 two-hitters
0 Cy Youngs

^ That last one is what really did me in on awards somewhere in the late 90s/00s. I don't even remember who it was, but I remember reading an article that compared Nolan Ryan to another pitcher and the other pitcher had Cy Youngs and Ryan didn't, and the article was holding that against him. I distinctly remember thinking 'Hold on, Ryan never won a Cy Young? If Nolan Ryan was never voted the best pitcher for a season, why have the award? Actually, what are any of these people voting on? In any sport?'

Also, pretty sure he's the only pitcher to throw a no hitter in 3 different decades.

235 pitches and then came back on 3 days rest :rofl:

I remember when he got involved in the FO he was anti pitch count and I thought he was just being an old fart. Now I see why he thought that way :lol:

^ That last one is what really did me in on awards somewhere in the late 90s/00s. I don't even remember who it was, but I remember reading an article that compared Nolan Ryan to another pitcher and the other pitcher had Cy Youngs and Ryan didn't, and the article was holding that against him. I distinctly remember thinking 'Hold on, Ryan never won a Cy Young? If Nolan Ryan was never voted the best pitcher for a season, why have the award? Actually, what are any of these people voting on? In any sport?'
In 1987, Nolan led the league in ERA, ERA+, Strikeouts, H/9, and SO/W ratio. And opponents batted .199 against him. He finished FIFTH in NL Cy Young. :lol:

I remember growing up my pops made it clear awards didn’t mean anything because of that stat lmao

Back in the day when you couldn’t just pull up highlights whenever you wanted my dad used to always tell me about 2 plays. Nolan ryan putting Robin Ventura in a headlock and Jose Canseco hitting a homerun with his head. I still remember the first time I saw those with him :rofl:

Damn, those were some good times. Sitting on the couch with pops while he told me about the 60s, 70s, 80s, early 90s :pimp:

Back in the day when you couldn’t just pull up highlights whenever you wanted my dad used to always tell me about 2 plays. Nolan ryan putting Robin Ventura in a headlock and Jose Canseco hitting a homerun with his head. I still remember the first time I saw those with him :rofl:

Damn, those were some good times. Sitting on the couch with pops while he told me about the 60s, 70s, 80s, early 90s :pimp:
That's awesome, man. Thanks for sharing that.

I really hope my son talks about us and sports the same way.

Im seriously nervous about that - kids nowadays have so much to do.
Every single generation has so much more to do than the generations prior. When my son has grandkids, he'll be telling them 'Man, you guys and on your newfangled contraptions. Back in my day, we didn't have all that'... and right now is back in his day, when we are saying 'Man, look at everything you have. Back in my day, we didn't have all that.'

My nervousness comes from how hard I am on him compared to his mom, who is a complete pushover and avoids confrontation at all costs. I'm hoping that as long is I actually make time for him, (every day, not 2-3 times a month), that will be the most important thing.

I think home culture, in regards to sports, goes a long way. Obviously can’t force the young ones to love sports like we do, but I think they’re bound to take away things from evening traditions like watching a game together. When we watch Dodger games, my son is only fully invested sometimes and other times he’s playing his Switch while listening in the background but we all high five when runs are scored. I’ve started to buy hobby baseball cards again so he’ll ask me things like who my favorite players were and if prefer walk off homers or striking out batters to end the game, little stuff like that.

The kid is only in 3rd grade and is well acquainted with Dodger fandom, seeing them lose consecutive World Series, followed by getting booted early last year haha. Probably doesn’t even remember the result of the last Dodger game we went to, but surely remembers the helmet nachos and participating in a pathetic wave.

The thing that will be interesting for my kids someday is who they cheer for - they won’t be born in NY - and won’t live there until adulthood if they so choose. They will only see the Yanks a few times a year but I guess TV will give them a better chance to watch it daily?

Growing up that was something that always kept me tight with my uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc was being able to connect about the Yanks, Giants, Knicks, Rangers. And really that’s what I love about European soccer - the club is literally in your blood. If your family cheers for Chelsea there’s ZERO chance you are cheering for ANYONE else lol

The thing that will be interesting for my kids someday is who they cheer for - they won’t be born in NY - and won’t live there until adulthood if they so choose. They will only see the Yanks a few times a year but I guess TV will give them a better chance to watch it daily?

Growing up that was something that always kept me tight with my uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc was being able to connect about the Yanks, Giants, Knicks, Rangers. And really that’s what I love about European soccer - the club is literally in your blood. If your family cheers for Chelsea there’s ZERO chance you are cheering for ANYONE else lol
a lot of kids end up cheering for their dad’s favorite team so I’m sure your kids will be Twins fans

Man...one day I got bored and got lost in so many Nolan Ryan stats it was insane. The guy was ABSURD :lol:

His first no-hitter was 1973. His last was 1991.
At age 40 he led the NL in ERA and strikeouts. He went 8-16.
He led the league in strikeouts in his age 40, 41, 42, and 43 seasons.
He pitched a no-hitter at 44.
His fast ball was hitting 95 at the age of 46.
He had 215 ten-strikeout games (that's 105 more than Roger Clemens)
He had 277 wild pitches (51 more than the next highest)
On June 14, 1974 he pitched 13 innings and threw 235 pitches in one game. He threw again three days later and shut out the Yankees over 6 innings.
His lifetime batting average allowed was .204
7 no hitters, 12 one-hitters, and 18 two-hitters
0 Cy Youngs

Not that it should matter in regards to the CY, but his teams must've perennially sucked.

In 1987, Nolan led the league in ERA, ERA+, Strikeouts, H/9, and SO/W ratio. And opponents batted .199 against him. He finished FIFTH in NL Cy Young. :lol:
It was a different time then. You werent winning the Cy Young in 1987 if you won 8 games on the season. Im shocked he even finished 5th.

Back
Top Bottom