2023 Official MLB Season Thread

MLB gets little to no coverage on ESPN anymore. Watch their typical programming and you’ll get irrelevant NFL offseason noise, NBA tabloid material, women’s softball, and WNBA before anything related to pro baseball is brought up.

So true man. I love Ohtani I just feel like he should be a household name and I just don’t think he is.

MLB desperately needs Angels in WC or better.

to you he was. To the general public no one cares. I know baseball is the distant 3rd and the pitch clock is amazing and look at these game times. It’s beautiful.

You need your best players on the biggest stage.

They need Angels - Yankees ALDS.

Would be insane.

For instance Angels are on national TV tonight.

Haven’t seen a peep.

Plus 10 at night east coast on a weekday is a disaster.

Last edited:
and I wish I had an answer on how MLB can reach the up and coming crowd of fans I just don’t. I’m 32 and my friend group loves MLB because it was the best when we were younger.

Na when Japan won and he struck out Trout they were talking about baseball for at least a couple days.

I remember posting a Shannon Sharpe in here and I’ve never heard that dude talk about baseball. :lol:

To recreate that level of hype/madness it will have to be in playoffs. Of course.

The coverage when something monumental will always be there. I mean dude Judge broke the record last year (it’s still bonds) but you know what I mean.

These big networks won’t shy but I’m talking about the future generations.

Perfect example man. The minor leagues.

CBB and CFB are amazing because the traditions of the programs but also you are watching the future.

College Baseball is currently on ESPN now. Straight up. Problem is you can’t name anyone there because it doesn’t matter. None of these dudes are gonna make it. Maybe a handful.

It’s a weird spot.

I see where finallyfamous finallyfamous is coming from. These major networks like ESPN and Fox regularly put MLB games on national television during the summer, why don’t they market and cover the league more during their other programs?

The coverage when something monumental will always be there. I mean dude Judge broke the record last year (it’s still bonds) but you know what I mean.

These big networks won’t shy but I’m talking about the future generations.

Perfect example man. The minor leagues.

CBB and CFB are amazing because the traditions of the programs but also you are watching the future.

College Baseball is currently on ESPN now. Straight up. Problem is you can’t name anyone there because it doesn’t matter. None of these dudes are gonna make it. Maybe a handful.

It’s a weird spot.
That's a similar problem of promotion, because College Baseball does have some guys that'll make it like Dylan Crews or two-way player Jac Caglianone, who could be Ohtani-lite.

I've always contended that ESPN is filled with guys that love unwritten rules and how the game used to be. They don't like the flair and don't believe young guys should be getting screen time, because that's not how it was back in their day., so it seems like their attempts are acts of due diligence instead of actually trying to grow interest with the sport. Seems like baseball is showing signs of life and a second wind too. MLB can dominate the summer by linking itself with 4th of July, where every team should be playing, followed by the All Star Game where decent games are actually played, as opposed to the NFL and NBA All Star games...

With Ohtani it's hard because you can't force him to do talk shows, especially with a language barrier, but you can do more segments that can bring out his quirkiness and maybe cause virality. Outside of that, him continuing to play on the biggest stage is crucial. He needs to be in the post season where more eyes are watching.

I get it. But it’s always been regional sport.

I’m sure all of your regional networks/outlets/media mostly only talk about the local baseball team.

Just nationally it’s different. 162 games. It’s hard to grab national attention and let it marinate in such a fast world especially when there’s a game on the next day.

But over here they want to kill Aaron Boone and the Steinbrenners. All they talk about is the Yankees (and Mets too). :lol:

I don’t think one man can save baseball. just enjoy it. It’s not like the league is in danger of folding :lol:

Also, would you guys even watch baseball coverage on ESPN? I don’t even watch their NBA or NFL shows.

Just nationally it’s different. 162 games. It’s hard to grab national attention and let it marinate in such a fast world especially when there’s a game on the next day.

Why? There’s nothing else going on right now in American sports…

I don’t think one man can save baseball. just enjoy it. It’s not like the league is in danger of folding :lol:

Also, would you guys even watch baseball coverage on ESPN? I don’t even watch their NBA or NFL shows.
I would if it were interesting. I like their NBA and NFL shows mid day. MLB network has great coverage but barely anyone has the channel. They’re pretty good with their socials though, so that’s how I see their stuff. I also like that they’re trying the conversational Manning-watch like coverage with CC and other folks in a more casual setting.

Back
Top Bottom