2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Lost in this isn’t that the Padres’ ownership group absolutely needed the money they borrowed, they just didn’t want to fork up their own money after the financial windfall of TV deal collapse.

Rich people only open up their own pockets when they have to, otherwise they’re using other peoples’ money to do business.
This. The MLB hasn’t seriously punished a team for having too much debt, even though they review it and have meetings with teams after the season. The worst the Padres would have to do is write a report about how they’re going to manage the debt *wank*

The Ballys deal shorted them right at $50MM this season. The MLB said they’ll help cover up to $40MM (80%) of that out of pocket. Can’t find any details about the timing of the MLB’s payments, so financing this $50MM might possibly be cheaper than forking it over out of pocket and losing interest/returns in the market for the ownership. Most of the times these guys don’t get to own baseball teams by being foolish with money.

I do think the Padres we’re already operating on razor-thin margins this season hoping to sustain future interest and income, though. That $50MM shortfall from Ballys was probably critical in them breaking even after they racked up an almost $300MM luxury tax. The fact they didn’t ask any ownership for additional investment to cover the costs tells me this was probably forecasted and not a terribly huge deal in the long-term.

One guy with 4 hits, 5 walks, 0 runs allowed though 6.

One guy with 1 walk, finally blew his no-hitter (x2 while typing this), and 0 runs allowed through 6.

Multiple ways to skin a cat I guess.

Gallen rocking some nice AJ 9 cleats.

Rangers seemed poised to blow this open for 2nd game in a row.

rangers get their first ring... bochy really is a great manager... the only thing I dont like about baseball is injured players who dont make the playoffs roster wont get a ring... degrom should get one smh

Back
Top Bottom