2023 Official MLB Season Thread

Bonds simply played in an era where baseball literally did not care about keeping the game clean as it was making them money. If anything, steroid use was encouraged. Now instead of having juiced players, they have replaced them with juiced baseballs.

1 facet of the game doesn’t deserve HOF worthy.

Sheffield was good, but same, not HOF worthy. I would even argue the same for Andrew Jones. His last couple years definitely hurt his stock, but even then, HOF was a reach

Andruw Jones is where I draw the line with this post. He absolutely deserves to be a Hall of Famer. He was an elite player for 10 straight years. He was the best defensive centerfielder any of us has ever seen. He is in the top 50 in homeruns. The last couple seasons you speak of were also much better than people remember. It was really just his one season in LA that sticks in people's memories.

Andruw Jones is where I draw the line with this post. He absolutely deserves to be a Hall of Famer. He was an elite player for 10 straight years. He was the best defensive centerfielder any of us has ever seen. He is in the top 50 in homeruns. The last couple seasons you speak of were also much better than people remember. It was really just his one season in LA that sticks in people's memories.
.211 average batting average for the last 6 years of his career. That’s better that what people remember? Remove the dodgers season and that average is .222. 34 average RBI’s per year for the last 5 years. That’s HOF worthy? Ehhhh not to me.

He killed it at the beginning of his Career, but how his career tailed off, idk. But that’s just my opinion

.211 average batting average for the last 6 years of his career. That’s better that what people remember? Remove the dodgers season and that average is .222. 34 average RBI’s per year for the last 5 years. That’s HOF worthy? Ehhhh not to me.

He killed it at the beginning of his Career, but how his career tailed off, idk. But that’s just my opinion

We still using batting average and RBIs as important statistics?

Andruw Jones WAR over the last 5 seasons of his career was 1.7, which is better than plenty of HOFers final 5 years.
If you dont include his season with the Dodgers where he had 3 DL stints and knee surgery, he had a 3.3 WAR over the last 4 years of his career (also better than PLENTY of HOFers).

I dont understand why the end of his career is being held against him when it isnt with other HOFers. Jones was an ELITE player for a decade. How is that not HOF worthy?

They just need to make the votes public so the boneheads like the one who didn't select Jeter can get shamed out of his job.

Mariano already got unanimous so it didnt matter if jeter didnt get it this year... just happy he made the HOF really... prally some boston writer that didnt vote him in :lol:

Doesn't seem like Bonds is ever gonna get in which is a shame,the first half of his career alone is HOF worthy

They just need to make the votes public so the boneheads like the one who didn't select Jeter can get shamed out of his job.
But then it’ll be that bonehead writer who will be the anomaly just so people talk about him and he can plug his show/podcast

^I simply dont buy the idea that if he admitted to using something, that these voters would just get up and say "ok, now that you have admitted it, we are going to vote for you. "

It isnt an uncommon opinion to have, but I dont see it as realistic. Voters grudges are what is keeping Barry out. Watch David Ortiz get in on his first try at nearly 100% and then tell me it only has to do with admitting it.
I'm with you. The Ortiz angle is going to be mad interesting....he's going in first ballot IMO. And that is pretty effed up when you think about it.

The Bonds topic has obviously been rehashed to death.... it's just sad to me. It always will be. Bonds was my favorite player growing up. But following him from afar the last half of his career and what was going on was simply the most baffling MLB thing I've ever seen and ever will see. It was SO absurd, that the absurdity of those stats is what is hurting him now.

To me as a fan I selfishly would like to finally hear him own up, and so would others. As I have said before...he doesn't owe us that. But he was a walking chemical experiment and what he and his team figured out off the field was one for the history books. And some just can't sit here and pretend that didn't happen. It was literally the most insane thing we have ever seen. He won't acknowledge it. People in the sport continue to be irked.

Mook to the Night's Watch? :lol:

Untitled.png

It would certainly make the Padres more interesting watch. Would also allow me to grab a Mookie jersey finally lol.

Jeter wasnt even the best shortstop on the yankees. His ego made the Better player move to 3rd. A-Rod the goat.

No. That's pretty debatable considering the two separate steroid use admissions. Won't get too much into his post season stats.

Back
Top Bottom