2024 NBA Draft Thread - the hawks might be on the clock

I’ve never once watched LaMelo and thought man, that kid is really different. There are usually a handful of kid literally every year that have his skill set.

What makes him seem so special to y’all cause all I see is the hype.

Again....this is relevant to draft class. Lamelo left HS a top 3 PG in his clas. You’d project with growth and maturity that in this draft...he should be right there with the other pg prospects (as he’s always been) that are projected top 10 picks.

nico, rj, Cole, Edwards etc.

Do you see an nba player when you see Lamelo? If so, it isn’t just “hype”. He’s a legit prospect and legit basketball player. That’s all we’re saying.

But...the reason we are discussing him is because of the fact he is being talked about as a no. 1 pick.

The kid has 5 million IG followers. I don’t think a fringe 5 star prospect has ever received as much hype as him. He can be a nice player but nothing about him screams special.

The hype has nothing to do with who he is a player but more the whole circus that has been around him since he was a freshman.

But...the reason we are discussing him is because of the fact he is being talked about as a no. 1 pick.

The kid has 5 million IG followers. I don’t think a fringe 5 star prospect has ever received as much hype as him. He can be a nice player but nothing about him screams special.

The hype has nothing to do with who he is a player but more the whole circus that has been around him since he was a freshman.

He wasn’t a “fringe 5 star prospect tho” :lol:. He was firmly a 5* for much of his prep career when they decided to rank him. As high as #7 player in the country following his Soph year...and recently..like #13 or something when it all shook out, and there were concerns about where he’d continue his career. That’s from talent evaluators. Nothing fringe about that. You’re using him being a popular social media guy, to discredit his talent. In this draft class...he could absolutely be in the RUNNING FOR a #1 pick. Cole Anthony is too. And he too has questions about his game. They were the #1 & #2 PG prospects in their class for some years. Cole took the conventional route and played the conventional way...so you don’t question it. Lamelo is wildly unconventional, and you can’t understand it...so you question.

Why are you talking about his IG following when we are talking about his talent and abilities...that scouts have praised as elite for his CLASS for years? In a draft with no clear cut #1 prospect...Lamelo being a top 5-15 prospect, with the POSSIBILITY of going as high as #1 or something isn’t crazy.

That’s the point.

I'm not sure IG following = basketball hype. You're conflating two different things right now. The media circus is more about the family and what LaVar has drummed up to keep their name in the moves. Old mocks had him as a 2nd round pick, so I definitely don't agree that he's been the most hyped guy. Bums like Shabazz Muhammad got more hype in HS.

The basketball hype isn't close to the off the court following. He's JUST being talking about as a potential #1 pick now, in a weak class, as the result of his development. And when you look at the rest of that mock draft, it's completely fair. I'm not sure I'd want Wiseman as my top pick with how basketball is evolving, and Edwards is a 6'3 SG among other "flaws", etc. Him being in the mix of this among scouts in the pre-season isn't as crazy as you're making it seem.

Last edited:
He's absolutely better than Austin Rivers. His feel for the game and passing ability is way ahead of Rivers at the same stage. Rivers wasn't an efficient scorer either. Last name, beating up on **** competition in HS, and committing to Duke had the Rivers hype train way too high.

I can not stand Austin Rivers but until LaMelo consistently puts up numbers against actual competition, even I can’t co-sign this.

We talking about Chino Hills, Lithuania, Drew League and like 1-2 games in New Zealand. Give it a month or two.

I absolutely would not take LaMelo over Wiseman, Edwards,Anthony at this juncture and I’d be hard pressed to take him at 4 even if he balls out hard all season.

Personal opinion of course.

Also I realized I just jinxed myself that he’ll be a Hornet and a bust.

IG following, TV show hype absolutely has to do with why he’s being talked about @ #1.

Givony isn’t on TV taking about the other guys at 1 or on the ESPN front page.

Not that’s Alonzo wasn’t good but personally I don’t think he goes #2 if that the hype machine didn’t give the Ball platform it did.

In social media era, name recognition so everything. Y’all being obtuse but this kid largely was a top15-20 prospect most of high school.

Thats great but in maybe the weakest high school class of all-time, I don’t think it’s crazy to call him a fringe 5 star guy.

That doesn’t mean he’ll prove me wrong or make a leap but the whole reason we are even discussion him isn’t because of basketball. He hasn’t done anything to warrant that.

Lavar for better or worse has made the fam the basketballs kardashians so you know what, they’re gonna get hyped and get talked about.

Y’all can pretend to be obtuse but he’s just another potential 1st rounder maybeeeeee potential lottery guy otherwise.

#1 pick definitely not.

Even in this horrible draft

Y’all can pretend to be obtuse but he’s just another potential 1st rounder maybeeeeee potential lottery guy otherwise.
Be obtuse about what? You're conflating IG hype with casual basketball fans and hoopsmixtape **** with actual hype as a prospect by scouts. He hasn't been receiving much of the latter, and actually received a fair bit of criticism on his game up until this point.

Giovny had him as a 2nd round pick in January of this year. I'm really not sure where you're getting that he's the most hyped "fringe 5 star player" ever. If this was really the result of the machine like you're suggesting, wouldn't it have made more sense for ESPN to pump him up when BBB/Var/Lonzo hype was at its peak? Everyone now is seemingly exhausted by the whole thing, and Lonzo is highly unlikely to ever become a superstar. I don't know what it's just not possible that people are high on his tools and have seen development in areas that they thought he needed work in. We're also finally seeing him in a structured basketball environment, he's growing height wise, and his Dad seems to be less involved. That's a far more logical explanation than IG hype driving his draft hype, IMO.
020 NBA Mock Draft
PICK PLAYER POS TEAM HT AGE
1. CLE
Jaden McDaniels PF Federal Way HS 6-11 18.3
2. CHI Anthony Edwards PG/SG Holy Spirit Prep 6-4 17.4
3. PHX James Wiseman C Memphis East HS 7-1 17.8
4. NYK Scottie Lewis SG The Ranney School 6-5 18.8
5. ATL Theo Maledon PG Villeurbanne 6-5 17.6
6. MEM Cole Anthony PG Oak Hill Academy 6-3 18.6
7. ORL Deni Avdija SF Maccabi Tel Aviv 6-9 18.0
8. DAL Isaiah Stewart C La Lumiere 6-9 17.6
9. DET Josh Green SG IMG Academy 6-5 18.1
10. WAS Bryan Antoine SG The Ranney School 6-5 18.7
11. SAC Kahlil Whitney SF Roselle Catholic 6-6 18.0
12. MIN Amar Sylla PF/C Real Madrid 6-9 17.3
13. CHA Josiah James PG/SG Porter-Gaud HS 6-6 18.3
14. LAL Malcolm Cazalon SG Bourg 6-4 17.4
15. NOP Killian Hayes PG/SG Cholet 6-4 17.4
16. MIA Matthew Hurt PF John Marshall HS 6-9 18.7
17. BKN Nico Mannion PG Pinnacle HS 6-4 17.8
18. LAC Tyler Herro SG Kentucky 6-5 19.0
19. SAS Jordan Poole PG/SG Michigan 6-5 19.5
20. HOU Ashton Hagans PG Kentucky 6-3 19.5
21. POR Tyrese Maxey PG South Garland HS 6-3 18.2
22. ORL (via OKC) Devon Dotson PG Kansas 6-2 19.4
23. UTA Wendell Moore SF Cox Mill HS 6-6 17.3
24. PHI Vernon Carey C University School 6-10 17.9
25. DEN Louis King SF/PF Oregon 6-7 19.7
26. BOS A.J. Lawson SG South Carolina 6-6 18.5
27. IND Joshua Obiesie PG/SG Wuerzburg 6-6 18.6
28. GSW Henri Drell SF Baunach 6-9 18.7
29. TOR Mfiondu Kabengele C Florida St 6-9 21.4
30. PHX (via MIL) Zach Norvell SG Gonzaga 6-5 21.1
31. CHA (via CLE) Jaylen Hoard PF Wake Forest 6-9 19.8
32. CHI Aaron Nesmith SF Vanderbilt 6-6 19.2
33. PHX LaMelo Ball PG/SG Spire Academy 6-6 17.4
34. PHI (via NYK) Jalen Smith PF Maryland 6-10 18.8
35. ATL Paul Eboua PF Roseto 6-8 18.9
36. CHI (via MEM) Jordan Nwora PF Louisville 6-8 20.3
37. ORL Nic Claxton C Georgia 6-11 19.7
38. PHI (via DAL) Ignas Brazdeikis PF Michigan 6-7 20.0
39. SAC (via DET) Arturs Zagars PG Joventut 6-3 18.7
40. MIL (via WAS) Tremont Waters PG LSU 5-11 21.0
41. SAC Markus Howard PG Marquette 6-0 19.8
42. MIN Marcos Lousada Silva SF Franca 6-6 19.5
43. NYK (via CHA) Karlton Dimanche PG/SG Cholet 6-5 18.8
44. LAL Dalibor Ilic SF/PF Igokea 6-9 18.8
45. NOP Kris Wilkes SF/PF UCLA 6-8 20.3
46. SAC (via MIA) Rayshaun Hammonds PF Georgia 6-9 21.2
47. CHA (via BKN) Charlie Brown SG/SF Saint Joseph's 6-7 21.9
48. LAC Daulton Hommes SF/PF Point Loma 6-8 22.5
49. SAS Derrick Alston PF Boise St 6-8 21.3
50. DAL (via HOU) Chris Smith PF UCLA 6-9 19.0
51. POR Kenny Wooten C Oregon 6-9 20.7
52. OKC Lamar Peters PG Mississippi St. 6-0 20.5
53. CLE (via UTA) Udoka Azubuike C Kansas 7-0 19.3
54. PHI Lindell Wigginton PG Iowa St 6-2 20.8
55. BKN (via DEN) Brandon Randolph SG Arizona 6-5 21.3
56. BOS Grant Riller PG/SG Charleston 6-3 21.9
57. IND Matas Jogela SF Dzukija 6-7 20.5
58. HOU (via GSW) Gytis Masiulis PF Neptunas 6-9 20.7
59. TOR Tyler Cook PF/C Iowa 6-9 21.3
60. MIL Cameron McGriff SF/PF Oklahoma St 6-7 21.3
Checking in on LaMelo Ball
Mike Schmitz: With LaMelo Ball (No. 33) now stateside in a somewhat more traditional evaluation setting than we last saw with Vytautas in Lithuania, we checked in on the 17-year-old point guard to get a feel for how he has progressed. In doing so, we traveled to Dayton, Ohio, to watch the Spire Academy prospect take on Prolific Prep, a well-coached group led by intriguing 2020 guard prospect Nimari Burnett.

From a sheer talent perspective, Ball looks the part of a 2020 first-round pick. He has grown closer to 6-7 with a body similar to Lonzo Ball's at the same age, while showing impressive passing instincts and making much more of an effort to play the right way rather than jacking 40-footers every time down.

✔@Mike_Schmitz
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1087414535118614528

LaMelo Ball comes out to warm up fashionably late to a packed gym. A lot of BBB apparel in the crowd. Some Vytautas jerseys also. Slow motion look at Ball’s shooting mechanics.

He has the ball on a string, changing speeds and directions fluidly before whipping right- or left-handed live-dribble passes to open teammates. Although still far too casual and risky of a passer at times, he loves to ignite fast breaks with quick outlets -- a Ball family trait. His shot is still a bit wonky with a low, two-handed release and inconsistent rotation, but he has natural touch that extends to the NBA line. Around the rim, he can improve his physicality and focus, but he's ambidextrous with a good feel for how to employ finesse in the paint.

On the other end of the court, Ball remains a minus. He stands upright in Spire's trapping defense and still has no semblance of discipline or consistency with his effort. The instincts are there both as a rebounder and passing lanes thief, with the same backyard-hoops-developed anticipation we've seen from his older brother. Still, he simply relaxes far too often at this stage, and that lackadaisical approach most certainly played a role in Spire's 30-plus-point loss to Prolific Prep.

His defensive effort could improve when he's in a more challenging setting, but his lack of interaction with his teammates and coaches was also concerning. He came onto the court a good 10 minutes after his teammates were already warming up, AirPods in, showing little camaraderie with others. He makes those around him better and puts them in position to succeed offensively, but he's not all that vocal on the floor and can work on his body language when his running mates falter.

If Ball were eligible to go to college next year and had taken a similar path as Lonzo, it would be much easier to slot him in as a sure 2020 first-rounder. He's close to 6-7 with elite all-around basketball instincts, shot-making potential and an impressive level of confidence for a 17-year-old. With that said, it remains to be seen where he'll end up during his draft-eligible season and whether it will be advantageous for his development. According to his camp, the G League path is certainly an option. While talented, it will be up to NBA scouts and executives to weigh his clear talent against what some teams might fear can come along with investing in the Big Baller Brand.

Kids don’t really just go from 2nd round picks to in the convo for #1 without a seismic growth spurt...

He’s not really I’m that convo but because of the hype around the family putting that up inner ESPN’s page drives clicks, and views. It’s the era we live in.

Since I posted my critiques of his game, I’d love to discuss people to tell me how an athletically limited guard with a middle school jumpshot form is really a #1 pick contender since y’all swear that’s why we are here?

If people think they can project him as tall Trae Young, then yes, he should probably go early.

I'd personally like to see him in more structured games before putting him there myself though.

Kids don’t really just go from 2nd round picks to in the convo for #1 without a seismic growth spurt...

He’s not really I’m that convo but because of the hype around the family putting that up inner ESPN’s page drives clicks, and views. It’s the era we live in.

Since I posted my critiques of his game, I’d love to discuss people to tell me how an athletically limited guard with a middle school jumpshot form is really a #1 pick contender since y’all swear that’s why we are here?

Breh...my man just laid it out to you...and you choose to ignore it :lol:. Melo moved into the first round projections on a previous mock in summer time around the Drew League etc before this latest one. The main thing with scouts is they didn’t know what to make of him...because they hadn’t seen him in a structured setting...so that’s hard to slot how that could project. Even with that...Scouts still had him as a first round pick.

RJ and Lamelo drew close to 30 scouts this past weekend...so teams could get a first look evaluation. This is similar to showcases like Hoop Summit etc...where draft projections and stocks go up and down depending on the showing. They’re the only two main prospects playing right now...and it’s preseason, so of course there is going to be some ink about them. Lamelo had a great showing...and for the time being...answered all the major questions scouts have about him...and they feel comfortable now projecting where he’d likely be (lotto talent). He COULD go as high as #1...which is the case with many top 10 prospects around this time before the dust settles. Or, he could be a late lotto pick, or top 5. Point is...what they saw in that setting answered some questions Melo needed to show scouts to give them confidence. If he continues like this...then yes...he’ll be in the running to be a high lotto pick.

I’m not sure you understand “hype” and how it isn’t what’s being discussed with Lamelo’s talent. You’re letting your distaste for the noise around Melo...blind you from what we’re speaking about here.

These are good breakdowns that I’d implore you to watch from reputable basketball minds that all came to the same conclusions. Coach Nick saw him in the drew league and called him a potential
top 5 pick months ago.

This video from today explains why many genuinely are coming around to that.

If people think they can project him as tall Trae Young, then yes, he should probably go early.

I'd personally like to see him in more structured games before putting him there myself though.

Yup.

And that’s completely fair. And what I think the cautious optimism should be. That’s where I’m at with it. Like with Trae...some had him as high as top 3 (myself and others)...and you had him late lotto. He went top 5.

For some reason, worldbeefreeg worldbeefreeg cant see this...and insist all this has to do with “hype”.

I’ve never said he wasn’t a baller...I really don’t care what other scout say or how he moves up or what lists he’s on...none of that means anything at this point I’m the year.

Basketball is a game for giants, to be his size and be a #1 pick you have to be the most elite of athletes of a savant pretty much or a combination of both.

The kid doesn’t have a follow through and has played a few games of basketball in australia so far.

Once again, all you said was he answered questions...I watched all that footage of him this summer at Drew and at spire and I saw a guy who lacked real explosion, average at best handle and a shot that to me has real concerns since he doesn’t have a follow through pretty much.

He’s competitive as hell, takes it harder to the basket than Lonzo but I don’t see how he’s much better of a prospect if he is at all (he isn’t imo) and his brother pretty clearly only was selected that high cause of Lavar/ESPN hype.

his brother pretty clearly only was selected that high cause of Lavar/ESPN hype.

That’s not true.

Lonzo was going to be a top 5 pick with/without LaVar/ESPN based on his productive college season, His HS 5*prospect status, size and potential. The Lakers just happened to be #2...and the perfect blend of location, Magic Johnson, D-lo struggles etc made that the choice the Lakers were making at #2 that year. Let’s not pretend like Zo wasn’t an elite prospect. He had questions in his game too...but he was productive And highly sought without the noise. If the Lakers took Fox at 2...Sac woulda took Zo at 5. Dsjr and Frank were the only other 2 PG prospects in that top 10 range. And they too...went top 10 with their holes in their game. So relative to the rest of the pg prospects at the time....it was Fultz as the consensus...then the choice between Zo or Fox....who were seen as better prospects than DSJR and Frank Nitti.

NBA Draft Lottery selections are comedy every year :lol:

How Melo going top 5 a big question mark with his skill level

Look at the picks after 6 in that same mock draft Melo >>>

I’ve never said he wasn’t a baller...I really don’t care what other scout say or how he moves up or what lists he’s on...none of that means anything at this point I’m the year.

Basketball is a game for giants, to be his size and be a #1 pick you have to be the most elite of athletes of a savant pretty much or a combination of both.

The kid doesn’t have a follow through and has played a few games of basketball in australia so far.

Once again, all you said was he answered questions...I watched all that footage of him this summer at Drew and at spire and I saw a guy who lacked real explosion, average at best handle and a shot that to me has real concerns since he doesn’t have a follow through pretty much.

He’s competitive as hell, takes it harder to the basket than Lonzo but I don’t see how he’s much better of a prospect if he is at all (he isn’t imo) and his brother pretty clearly only was selected that high cause of Lavar/ESPN hype.

Can't take anything you said seriously with that last paragraph.

He wouldn’t have gone #2 without his pops and that’s facts.

D fox busted him nationally twice!

I never said he wouldn’t have gone even too five...not as high equals not #2. Lakers bought the hype cause it’s the #Lakers.

Let’s see how that elite that layup package is against elite defenses with grown men cause his bro was one of the worst finishers in the league.

I think Lavar has to be given credit,
I think he's stumbled into a better training and development system than a lot of the workout culture guru's.

Junking up the game, having kids play tons of possessions, run and gun, it doesn't always look pretty but kids are getting that invaluable experience, training their brain to recognize patterns

buuut not teaching his kids to shoot a normal jump shot probably nullifies all that. :lol:

Theres probably a happy medium between the two approaches. :lol:

He wouldn’t have gone #2 without his pops and that’s facts.

D fox busted him nationally twice!

I never said he wouldn’t have gone even too five...not as high equals not #2. Lakers bought the hype cause it’s the #Lakers.

Let’s see how that elite that layup package is against elite defenses with grown men cause his bro was one of the worst finishers in the league.
dude you're splitting hairs, it was a totally justifiable 2 pick. maybe you liked fox better but at the time Lonzo, lavar or no lavar would have been a totally justifiable #2 pick.

Lonzo had one of the best Senior years ever then was the primary reason why UCLA was a juggernaut his freshman year

to say he was a #2 pick mostly because of his dad and hype is just wrong

the same with melo. The idea that he’s in talks for the #1 pick just shows how little of a pulse one had on him as a prep thus far. Before he got taken out of chino hills he was clearly headed to top 5 in his class

Na I agree with him. If the Lakers didnt hold the #2 pick, I dont think Ball would've gotten drafted there. Top 5? Sure.

Idk what/how to feel about Lamelo. He's got such an ugly shot for me to like him, but there he goes making the right passes and reads :lol:

Average athletes, over sized PG, good vision, shooter, crafty, needs a pick:

Lamelo screams Ratsull to me

Im almost there but one abuses the midrange pull up and the other to this point essentially avoids it. They do share a ton of similarities though.

Back
Top Bottom