2024 NBA Draft Thread - the hawks might be on the clock

Na I agree with him. If the Lakers didnt hold the #2 pick, I dont think Ball would've gotten drafted there. Top 5? Sure.

Idk what/how to feel about Lamelo. He's got such an ugly shot for me to like him, but there he goes making the right passes and reads :lol:

Like osh said, it’s hair splitting. You may not think he would of gotten as a high as 2, but the reality is is that for the entire season essentially he was at the top of his class.

independent of LaVar, Lonzo was right there for the #2 pick

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of Cunningham but he looks incredibly skilled. Instincts were there from the little that I saw

The reality is...and I keep saying this. 90% of these draft outcomes are decided by who learns to shoot and who doesn't.

and as far as I can tell we have no reliable way of predicting this.

If Lonzo was shooting 40% from 3 like he did at UCLA, he'd be on his way to stardom. Dearon Fox learned to shoot and Lonzo hasn't, it doesn't go much deeper than that.

I’ll acquiesce to that point but people were talking about him as the GOAT PG prospect for a guy who can’t even take his man off the dribble and had a completely broken jumper.

I personally always thought he was very flawed.

And I see a lot of the same issues with his brother.

He’s a fine proposed who I would guess will be a top 10 in a very weak draft.

But #1 picks are generally guys who can physically take over games...Zion/Ben/Ayton/Wall/Rose.

He isn’t of that profile. Maybe he’ll be able to read the game at a super high level like Lonzo and his weird jumper will work but that asking for a lot.

You have people in here saying, he’s answered all the scouts questions when he’s played in two NBL games and a handful of games at Spire.

I don’t see anyone talking about Nico Mannion, Scottie Lewis or Josh Green going #1 and they’re all the same caliber of prospect. That’s my point.

But whatever, I hope the kids the best Lonzo and Melo both cause there father hasn’t made it easy for them the past couple of years and they both have the potential to be good players when it comes down to it.

The reality is...and I keep saying this. 90% of these draft outcomes are decided by who learns to shoot and who doesn't.

and as far as I can tell we have no reliable way of predicting this.

If Lonzo was shooting 40% from 3 like he did at UCLA, he'd be on his way to stardom. Dearon Fox learned to shoot and Lonzo hasn't, it doesn't go much deeper than that.

Agreed but you can also look at how they shoot and it’s been clear from Day 1 both of their shots are going to have real problems against high level competition.

Lonzo’s form is completely broken and Melo short puts the ball with no follow-through. You may not be able to predict who can shoot but you can certainly make an educated guess on who won’t.

Agreed but you can also look at how they shoot and it’s been clear from Day 1 both of their shots are going to have real problems against high level competition.

Lonzo’s form is completely broken and Melo short puts the ball with no follow-through. You may not be able to predict who can shoot but you can certainly make an educated guess on who won’t.

Lonzo wasn't like Derrick Williams, taking a bunch of open 3's and catching a heater for a college season.

he was taking really difficult deep attempts and I can totally understand thinking despite the unorthdox mechanics thinking he has a feel for shot making that would translate to the nba. Same goes for Lamelo.

but Lamelo is already cleaning up his shot, hence why he scouts are warming to him.

Cade Cunningham, Kuminga (assuming he reclassifies which is seems he will), Mobley & Green in the next class is a real nice group.

I’ll acquiesce to that point but people were talking about him as the GOAT PG prospect for a guy who can’t even take his man off the dribble and had a completely broken jumper.

I personally always thought he was very flawed.

And I see a lot of the same issues with his brother.

He’s a fine proposed who I would guess will be a top 10 in a very weak draft.

But #1 picks are generally guys who can physically take over games...Zion/Ben/Ayton/Wall/Rose.

He isn’t of that profile. Maybe he’ll be able to read the game at a super high level like Lonzo and his weird jumper will work but that asking for a lot.

You have people in here saying, he’s answered all the scouts questions when he’s played in two NBL games and a handful of games at Spire.

I don’t see anyone talking about Nico Mannion, Scottie Lewis or Josh Green going #1 and they’re all the same caliber of prospect. That’s my point.

But whatever, I hope the kids the best Lonzo and Melo both cause there father hasn’t made it easy for them the past couple of years and they both have the potential to be good players when it comes down to it.

How were people talking about Lonzo as the “goat pg” prospect...when Fultz (who came from an 8 win Pac 12 team) went unanimous #1 at the PG position Ahead of Zo :lol:. And there were some that were going with Fox at the time based on their head to head. You all over the place fam.

And people have had Cole Anthony in “the running” for #1 prospect...and in the very same tier as Lamelo ascended to now for months. They’re not saying Lamelo is a lock to be the #1 prospect in basketball. What the scouts are saying is he’s a top caliber prospect in this class....with the CHANCE to go as high as #1. And it’s time to take him seriously as an elite prospect. That’s all.

Same with Trae last year....who started off the season not on the draft board at all...but by December...had articles written about why he could be a top 3 pick...if not THE #1 pick.

When the dust settled...he went #5...as a 6’2 PG with average athleticism...no defense at all...super small wingspan...but elite ball skills, vision, range, playmaking ability....and turned in a 19 & 8 campaign as a Rookie.

6’2 Darius Garland just went #4 after playing less than 10 games at Vandy and being hurt....and you think it’s crazy Lamelo could be considered that type of prospect in a weak draft. Hilarious.

Start all the way over fam.

Scottie Lewis has no handle and going to be 20 by the draft

But is the same caliber of prospect as Melo :lol:

And i like Josh Green game but his last year in HS wasn't good

worldbeefreeg worldbeefreeg playing no games with these takes

I was with you on Trae more than anybody else in this thread.

I don’t think it’s crazy that he could got top five or even top three. This draft sucks.

I think it’s crazy that we are in september talking him about as no.1 pick before CBB season even starts.

And the reason we’re talking about that isn't because of his progression but because of his last name.

ESPN is leading their rankings/mocks with his name for a reason. At this point he’s not above Anthony Edwards/Wiseman/Cole.

But you won’t here those names in the same context and that’s my whole point.

And I do think it was crazy that Garland went that high.

Just like Anthony Bennett was really a #1 pick but he ended up there.

I’m this draft it’s lossible but so far everyone in this thread is really putting this kid as a pedestal.

Y’all feigned outrage over a superficial comparison to Austin Rivers who was a better prospect in HS (every scouting service had him top five versus Lamelo who ended the year around 20).

The LaMelo hype has little to do with basketball and all tondo with his father just like Tebow hype had little to do with his skills and all do with his Christianity/race etc.

I’m not saying that these guys will be as poor as tebow on the next level I’m just pointing out we wouldn’t be talking about these kids at all without the elephant in the room (his father).

That’s it.

If the death of the big man within the next decade is real, then having an entire starting 5 of 6'6 point guards and 6'9 wings might be a thing of the future.

Indy, Portland, Philly to name a few are going to test the big man theories this season

Guys like Bagley, JJJ and Collins will be 4's as well this year...

Cade....Black Luka for real. That boy skrong...and if the jumper improvement is what they say it is...he “it”.

Been pushing Cade in here since i saw him at the World games. This kid is way too advanced for someone his age.

I’ve only seen bits and pieces of Cunningham but he looks incredibly skilled. Instincts were there from the little that I saw

Cade has a mature AF game . Cade was really good in the u19's

Cade looks 25.

Only reason LaMelo is being talked about for #1 pick right now is because he is the only one playing. Once the college season starts there will be many more options to focus on.

Wiseman playing for Penny in that loaded class.

Edwards does not look like #1 pick material to me, but the class could recede away from the top players and someone like him could go at the top by default. It is not a great draft by any means. Some of these guys may become great pros later on, but no Day 1 franchise changers.

Anthony looks like the goods, but much depends on how much freedom Roy lets him have.

Should be a good season to watch though. Lots of raw talent and a real chance for someone to move up the draft boards with no real locks at the top spots. Probably will depend much on what coach they are playing for. If Cade goes to OkSt and gets up 30 shots a game that may be all it takes.

Back
Top Bottom