2024 NIKE SB DUNK THREAD_____GRs and QSs added

Wow....

REPPED for having $500 to blow on Skunks tho....
Figured they were worth a couple pairs of general release Jordans / Foams LOL!  Seriously though...sneaker prices have skyrocketed over the last few years.  Just check the classified section on Niketalk.  Not sure if its sustainable but I dont see Skunks moving south in price...especially not deadstock.  The story behind them.  Nike actually jumped out there pretty far with this release even with where the country is right now regarding marijuana use...the lack of future ***** themed releases I'm sure was a calculated decision on Nike's part, especially after the Black & Tan blow-back and the damage control Adidas had to do with those JS Round House Mids (slavery sneakers).  "Those sneakers made my lil' Timmy smoke marijuana!"  I want 500 million!  Not saying they are an investment but looking at where comic books, G.I. Joe and Star Wars figures, etc. are, it might not be too far a stretch.  How many of us wish we woulda kept that OG R2D2 in the package LOL!  Problem is, I'm now stuck between rock or stock...even after what I just said about R2D2.  Good problem to have and this thread stands on making that a problem for everyone!  You guys are the greatest IMO.  Normally wouldnt share a pick up but this thread restores my faith!      

The reason R2D2 is worth what it is is precisely because nobody thought to keep them in the package, so they are rare. This is all baseball cards all over again - my stack of Barry Bonds rookie cards is worthless because everybody knew about their parents who stuck Mickey Mantle cards in the spokes of their bikes. But, since the next generation all saved their stuff, it never achieved rarity, so it never became valuable. Ditto with sneakers - we're in the Barry Bonds era. None of this stuff is rare and little of it will wind up being truly valuable. Right now, you just have a lot of commerce, but that doesn't equate to value. You have a bunch of sneakers and money changing hands so people can play catch up. Half of today's "sneakerheads" essentially rent their kicks. At some point the sneakerhead bubble will burst and most of the current crowd will move on to something else, that's when you will find out which items truly have legitimate value... and, if you ask me, very little of it will hold the prices it commands today. That's because very few of those who have demonstrated that they will be still here when the smoke clears seem to value much of that stuff. Remember - something's market price and it's "value" are not synonymous; the "value" is what's left when the artificial demand of a manipulated market, or bubble, is removed.

All that said, I think Skunks will do well at retaining value long term. But, I'm speaking on your larger point.

Last edited:
Damn! Those skunks are clean though
pimp.gif

I also just realized what your name is
laugh.gif

I also fully understand what bip is saying in regard to his barry bonds cards... Like back in the day no one knew that jordans would become what they are right now.. but now that dudes are aware of what an og pair of banned ones are worth they are trying to stock pile rookie lebron's but in reality if everyone is doing the same thing (stock piling rookie shoes in hope of them becoming valuable) they really wont be worth all that much...

Last edited:
Exactly!

And, comics and cards had their bubble days as well, when Ken Griffey and Frank Thomas rookies were fetching hundreds of bucks. Those joints are, what, like $20 now?

We've even seen it within sneakers - how many models had bubbles that burst? SBs. Dunks. AF1s. These snapshots are just microcosms of the whole hobby and culture.

Eventually, people will move on what will be left are those who truly do this because they love it, and a bunch of people bitter because their DS 2013 Grapes are barely fetching box price, because the OGs don't want them, and every one of their friends is trying to sell their pairs too.

This day may not be tomorrow, but it will come. The question for the purist is whether to cash in when the hype hits its peak and then rebuild later or just hold the course.

Eventually, people will move on what will be left are those who truly do this because they love it, and a bunch of people bitter because their DS 2013 Grapes are barely fetching box price, because the OGs don't want them, and every one of their friends is trying to sell their pairs too.

This day may not be tomorrow, but it will come. The question for the purist is whether to cash in when the hype hits its peak and then rebuild later or just hold the course.

Yupp.. Been waiting for is day like :nerd:

Will scoop up everything I missed at retail or close to it

Agreed. The A's pair looks nice. The other one could be nice too, but I'd need to see real pics.
Damn they are nice indeed.  I generally wear New Loves or green/yellow Zig Encores to A's games but I might pick these up.

And repped for the pics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom