2025 NBA Draft Thread

VARNELL HILL VARNELL HILL

Thoughts on DJ Wagner

Funny you ask cause I was about to mention him in my last post about scouts being down on these next 2 classes.

He can put the ball in the hole no questions asked but I fear he's fallen too far in the "volume scorer" category. Seemed SUPER mature with an advanced feel for the game as a freshman...but he may have picked up some of the bad habits some kids develop in AAU ball. Still alot to like there. Has good size, broad shoulders which suggest he can pack some more muscle on. He's a bit more explosive vertically than he was a few years ago and finishes at the rim well. Can make basic reads but definitely leaning more towards Shooting Guard than Combo.

Guards like him usually do well w/ Cal so I still have stock in his upside.

23 could be the weakest HS class in years 2012 still the GOAT :sick::lol:

Top 10 guys who would be rank 15 to 30 most years it looks like

Aj johnson , Matas Buzelis and Isaiah Collier tho :pimp:

282329-HCt-K1-YZ5.jpg

2823317k-Mo7-H2-HX.jpg

Derrick Williams was just never that good and he tried to play the 3 when he’s a 4

Beasley was always a bucket but didn’t bring anything else…At least in college his rebounding numbers were crazy n was a legit force in the paint but much like Williams he transitioned more to the perimeter in the league

Derrick destroying Duke is always appreciated:

I wanted to see Derrick do well because he was a local (his team actually upset Harden/Artesia his senior year, one of only two losses that season). He was supposed to go to USC, but the OJ Mayo-Tim Floyd scandal happened and he went to Arizona. He was just bigger and stronger than everyone in the PAC-10 and had an outlier shooting season from three. I don't know who he was fooling thinking he could play SF.

You either gotta be a crazy elite scorer (which Beasley was), be able to guard multiple positions, or play make for others if a tweener forward.

Im def more surprised Beasley busted. But I feel like that was more mental and idk how much he really worked on his game. Had a long career though and can still be in the league.

You either gotta be a crazy elite scorer (which Beasley was), be able to guard multiple positions, or play make for others if a tweener forward.

Im def more surprised Beasley busted. But I feel like that was more mental and idk how much he really worked on his game. Had a long career though and can still be in the league.
Beasley can score but no team would give him the usage or responsibility on offense to justify him being anything more than a journeyman …It was about doing other things for him

Also had a tough start, Miami never wanted him and once he started to bounce around you get a rep

I’m not sure how well GG Jackson projects as a pro. He’s a 6’8 big who’s not a great shooter and is sketchy guarding on the perimeter. Doesn’t have otherworldly athleticism either. Not sure what his role is supposed to be outside of a high energy guy that hits the glass.

Can G.G. Jackson make South Carolina men's basketball relevant again? Coaches and scouts weigh in

One of the first things on coach Lamont Paris' to-do list after taking the South Carolina job in late March was to take the 25-minute drive to Ridge View High School and meet with elite recruit G.G. Jackson and his father.

Jackson had been a primary target for Frank Martin, but the coaching change slowed the Gamecocks' pursuit of the hometown star, and with a commitment looming, Paris had to make up ground.

It wasn't enough, though, and Jackson committed to North Carolina a month later -- and also confirmed he had no intention of reclassifying into the 2022 class.

Paris' chance at an early statement signing seemed out of reach.

In early July, however, rumors began to grow of Jackson potentially decommitting from North Carolina and subsequently committing to South Carolina and enrolling in college for the upcoming men's basketball season.

The first domino fell on July 14, when Jackson announced he was decommitting. Less than 24 hours after his final AAU game, on July 23, he announced his commitment to South Carolina, while simultaneously confirming he was going to reclassify and suit up for the Gamecocks this season.

With Jackson officially in the fold, what can Paris and South Carolina expect from the 6-foot-9 forward? We reached out to college coaches and NBA scouts to get a feel for his game, potential impact and his NBA draft position for 2023.

Jackson's skill set stands out

Jackson staked his claim as perhaps the best player in the 2023 class during a three-month run that included Gatorade Player of the Year honors in South Carolina for the high school season, averaging a double-double on the Nike EYBL circuit and then earning MVP of the prestigious NBPA Top 100 Camp in June. His performance at the latter, where he averaged 14.0 points and 9.2 rebounds, opened a lot of eyes.

"I think he's a competitor. At [NBPA] camp, he really took on a different level of accountability in that setting," one college coach said. "I think sometimes it might be difficult with his AAU team, with ball-dominant guards, to really showcase the versatility of his game, the competitiveness, the desire he had. He really attacked that camp with the idea of being MVP of that week, proving he was the best player in the country.

"He was showing more with his ability to defensive rebound, handle the ball, push in transition. Catch at the 3-point line, beat guys off the dribble, make second moves, get himself all the way to the rim. In the AAU setting, he's mostly the recipient of transition baskets, shots around the rim. But the competitiveness he showed, the passion he played with, the enthusiasm he played with, the way he communicated was really impressive -- along with his burgeoning perimeter game."

In terms of his game and skill set, crashing the glass might be his biggest positive. Jackson led the Nike EYBL circuit in rebounding, averaging more than 10 a game and posting 13 double-doubles in 20 games. He also had a 20-point, 12-rebound outing at the FIBA U18 Americas with USA Basketball.

"His rebounding correlates with his motor and how hard he plays. He's a pretty smart basketball player, understands who he is and what he is. The rebounding component relates to intangibles -- his intangibles are unbelievable," one NBA scout said. "The self-awareness of what he does well and what he doesn't do well, and his understanding of who his teammates are. He knows what his teammates are going to do and where the ball is going to end up."

Jackson's improvement on the perimeter, especially as a shooter -- he shot 16.7% on six 3s last spring on the EYBL circuit, and 35.1% on 37 3s this spring and summer -- and his ability to create matchup problems with opposing frontcourt players are assets, too.

"When his motor is on, you see why some people had him No. 1," a scout said. "He can kind of protect the rim. At that level, he can get out and hedge a little bit. I actually thought he shot it pretty well, especially for him. It's not the prettiest form, but he looked like he could be a threat from 3 eventually."

"He has size and positional versatility. He's skilled, can dribble, pass and shoot," one college coach added. "And he can also take advantage of smaller guys inside."

Is his offensive game ready to carry South Carolina?

Jackson is still only 17 years old and won't turn 18 until the middle of December, but given the lack of talent surrounding him at South Carolina, he will be tasked with taking on a go-to role on the offensive end right away. It's a tough position for any freshman, let alone one who should still be in high school.

"I don't think he's a complete offensive player by any means," one college coach said. "His shot needs a lot more consistency. He has to improve his ability to play on the perimeter; he's most effective in and around the rim. He doesn't necessarily have a scorer's game, but given how much South Carolina needs him to be a focal point for what they do, his talent level and effort level will allow him to put up really big numbers."

On the AAU circuit, Jackson played with Robert Dillingham and Aden Holloway, two high-level guards who are at their best with the ball in their hands. As a result, he attempted the third-most shots on the team. At South Carolina, those types of guards don't exist on the current roster, so Jackson will have as many shots as he can handle.

"My only concern is the way he impacts the game won't be conducive to his game at South Carolina. I don't know if he's a star in college right now," one NBA scout said. "I don't know if he's a go-to scorer right now, a go-to central figure on the offensive end. I don't know if he even wants to be that guy yet. But what he does best is act as an elite complementary guy, second or third guy. That's my only concern at South Carolina. There's not a whole lot of talent around him.

"It's one thing to do it against a top-50 high school player; it's another thing to do it against Oscar Tshiebwe one night, Colin Castleton the next night -- at the age of 17, when you're the top guy on the scouting report."

How he stacks up in the 2023 NBA draft

Eleven months removed from playing his final AAU game, Jackson will be hearing his name very early in the 2023 NBA draft. He's very likely going to be a one-and-done player at South Carolina, and is already considered among the best NBA prospects in college next season.

Victor Wembanyama is the overwhelming favorite to go No. 1, with Scoot Henderson the clear No. 2. But multiple NBA scouts and college coaches think Jackson ultimately falls into that next tier of players, at the back end of a group that includes Arkansas' Nick Smith, Duke's Dereck Lively and Dariq Whitehead, Villanova's Cameron Whitmore, Overtime Elite twins Ausar and Amen Thompson, and a couple of others.

"Long-term, there aren't a lot of holes in G.G.'s game. He's not great at anything yet, but he's also not bad at anything. And that's a true sign of a well-rounded basketball player," one NBA scout said. "When you get down to it, he has the intangibles, the size, the defensive buy-in -- that's a really, really good foundation."

His shooting is going to be the biggest factor in where he falls in the 2023 pecking order. At 6-foot-9, he's going to need to contribute more as a face-up threat than on the interior.

"I'm pretty optimistic he'll develop into a worthwhile shooter," a scout said. "There's nothing that says his shot is broken. There's nothing that says he can't develop a better jump shot as he gets older. He is pretty good in the 12- to 15-foot range. It's about becoming a legitimate catch-and-shoot guy at our level. Three or four years from now, he can be worthwhile in that regard."

One college coach pointed out that while he would put Jackson behind the aforementioned prospects, it's an unfair comparison because of the age gap. Jackson is nearly two years younger than the Thompson brothers, a full year younger than other draft prospects such as Keyonte George and Dillon Mitchell, and several months younger than the rest.

"He's young; he's very young," the coach said. "He's going to have to continue to round out elements of his offensive game. At his size, it's going to be hard for him to be more of an interior player. Lively is already a 7-foot lob threat with potential as a 3-point shooter. That's a thing that already exists in the NBA, you can easily plug that in. Nick Smith is a creative shooter with shot-making ability. Look at Jordan Poole -- that thing exists. People can more easily identify with that. G.G. is a little bit undersized for what he's been consistently. When you compare him to those guys, there's a little bit of a gap."

Who's No. 1 in 2023? College coaches and NBA scouts make their picks

Jackson was a clear candidate to jump into the No. 1 conversation in the 2023 class, after his consistently dominant performances during the spring. Was it enough to overtake D.J. Wagner at the top of the class? We'll never know.

But Wagner's grip on the top spot has loosened in recent months, leading to a discussion about the elite prospects in the class. It's not considered a very good class compared to previous groups.

"It's a very average class as far as high-level, elite talent," one high-major head coach said.

"I don't even think there's a No. 3 player in the class, let alone No. 1," an NBA scout said.

Because it lacks a transcendent talent at the top of the class, there are a slew of candidates for No. 1 -- as evidenced by 11 different players being mentioned in conversations with coaches and scouts.

"At first I thought the '23 class was really bad. And it's not great," said one college coach. "But it's emerged as a class that has a number of solid players and no star players."

After polling more than 20 college coaches and NBA scouts, here was the pecking order:

1. Mackenzie Mgbako, 6-8, SF, Roselle Catholic (New Jersey)

Recruitment: committed to Duke

NBA scout: "He has the most translatable skill set to the NBA. He's 6-foot-8, switchable because he's long. The shooting is elite. It's hard to find those guys. He's a pure 3, and it's so hard to find a pure 3. I thought [he was No. 1] before Peach Jam and then saw him shoot the lights out, and it confirmed my thoughts. He's going to be the easiest to fall in love with out of all those guys."

College coach: "He plays like an NBA player. He shoots the ball. He has a calm, focused demeanor. He makes the right play. He's a good passer. But I think he's more of a solid NBA player. He's not a ball-handler, not a creator, not a great athlete. He's cast into more of a stretch-4 or big 3 who can really shoot the ball. At the next level, I think he plays off of other guys."

2. D.J. Wagner, 6-3, PG, Camden High School (New Jersey)
Recruitment: uncommitted (battle between Kentucky and Louisville)

NBA scout: "I have a hard time seeing a 6-foot-1, 6-foot-2 volume scoring guard as the No. 1 guy in the class. That's no slight on him. He's a warrior. He'll have longevity in the NBA. You tell me he plays 12-14 years in the NBA, I wouldn't be surprised. I just don't know how much of that time comes as a starter. Best-case, he's Tyrese Maxey. And that's not bad at all. I just don't know if that's your No. 1 guy in the class."

College coach: "I think he is one of the best scorers out there. His speed and ability to create space with his jumper set him apart. Everyone was looking for someone else, but to me, he was clearly the guy."

3. Aaron Bradshaw, 7-foot, C, Camden High School (New Jersey)
Recruitment: Uncommitted. (Once perceived to be a Kentucky vs. Louisville battle, but UCLA and Texas are among the other schools also recruiting him.)

NBA scout: "I think it's Aaron's ability to get his own shot and score from different spots -- I think he's a better scorer than he realizes. He can guard different spots. He's really going to blossom into having his own name."

College coach: "He's an interesting one. He's improved a lot. He's developed the look of a guy who has potential as a shooter. He's similar to Lively: big-time lob threats, rim protectors with some potential as jump shooters. And that's en vogue at the center position."

4. Matas Buzelis, 6-10, PF, Sunrise Christian Academy (Kansas)
Recruitment: committed to G League Ignite

College coach: "He's 6-foot-10. He's a vertical athlete, handles the ball, has feel as a passer. He's not a good defender, but he has ability as a defensive playmaker. He's kind of thin and weak, but he has instincts defensively, he blocks shots, he gets in passing lanes for steals. His size, his ability to handle the ball, play in pick-and-roll and pass, the versatility he presents on offense -- it's all in line with the direction the NBA is going. I don't sense that same sort of excitement with any of these other players."

College coach: "I just think he's the best player currently and the best pro prospect as well. All the other dudes have holes, in my opinion. Buzelis is just the best player."

5. Xavier Booker, 6-11, C, Cathedral High School (Indiana)
Recruitment: committed to Michigan State

NBA scout: "Xavier Booker has the highest upside of anyone. There's questions about motor and production. But he's going to Michigan State, where he'll resolve a lot of that stuff. Or he won't."

College coach: "He's 6-foot-10, really athletic. So you can make that case for No. 1. But he doesn't get a whole lot done. He doesn't win many 50-50 balls. He doesn't dominate games. He doesn't impose his will. If you're the No. 1 player in the class, you're looking for more."

Others receiving votes: Justin Edwards (Kentucky), Isaiah Collier (uncommitted), Ron Holland (uncommitted), Caleb Foster (Duke), T.J. Power (uncommitted), Sean Stewart (Duke)

Back
Top Bottom