2025 NBA Draft Thread

Rookie of the Week: Jaden Ivey, PG, Detroit
(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best rookie of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

With Cade Cunningham out of the lineup the past two games and likely to miss a few more, the spotlight has turned to Ivey. Already a productive starter, the fifth pick in the draft became the Pistons’ lead (only?) shot creator in Cunningham’s absence, hanging a season-high 26 on the mighty Celtics on Saturday.

Ivey’s overall numbers have been solid, especially for a 20-year-old in his first month in the pros out of Purdue. Yes, the Pistons have been awful, but the blame for that falls mostly on an atrocious bench and a Swiss-cheese defense. Ivey bears some responsibility for the latter but has also punched above his weight as a defensive rebounder and a ballhawk (2.1 percent steal rate) on a team that is 29th in defensive rebounding and 29th in forcing turnovers.

His offensive game is the real story, however, and begs the question of whether he can develop it into a star-level, ball-in-hand offensive player to complement (or even supersede) Cunningham. Longtime readers know I’m suspicious of Cunningham in the crazy-high-usage role in which Detroit has cast him, but having Ivey as a perimeter co-pilot is a pretty ideal situation.

The key is that Ivey’s strengths and weaknesses balance Cunningham’s so perfectly — Cunningham is bigger, more methodical and a better shooter, but Ivey has the blast-off quickness that creates advantages and leaves defenses scrambling.

Check out how quickly he leaves RJ Barrett in the dust here, a scene that has replayed over and over again in the season’s opening weeks, especially when he can get downhill to his right:

Ivey still has to refine his finishing package at the rim but has the raw athleticism to make up for it in a lot of instances. Ivey shoots 62 percent in the restricted area, but the real magic is in foul drawing; he ranks in the 98th and 96th percentiles at his position in drawing shooting and non-shooting fouls, respectively, according to Cleaning the Glass. His shooting was seen as a potential problem, and while that certainly hasn’t been a plus, it hasn’t been a glaring weakness either: 35.1 percent from 3 on decent volume and 72.5 percent from the line.

In the meantime, he’s capable of conjuring up sorcery like this when he isn’t fouled:

Ivey still has to see the whole picture and is still too right-hand dominant, however, and that’s the key to whether he tops out as just an interesting ancillary piece or a top-three player on a good team.

Watch here, for instance, as Washington’s Monté Morris takes away his right hand and Ivey settles for a blah pull-up long 2 early in the clock. More opponents will do this as word gets around that you can’t let him get downhill to his right and he’s not going to beat a drop coverage with pull-up 2s.

Ivey isn’t on Cunningham’s level as a passer, but that’s the other part of the equation in his development. Thus far, he hasn’t yet shown the ability to make the advanced read that causes you to rewind the tape but by dint of sheer athleticism is able to access angles that most mortals can’t. Check out this pass to set up a corner 3.

Overall, work remains to be done, but early returns suggest Ivey was worthy of a top-five selection. He is averaging a respectable 24.1 points per 36 minutes on reasonable efficiency (54.4 percent true shooting) amid shooting-starved lineups that constrain his space.

Additionally, the two biggest question marks in his game (3-point shooting and on-the-move decision-making) are the two that tend to improve the most in a young player’s typical trajectory. While the Pistons have disappointed, the most important question for the team this season was whether Ivey could be a long-term piece. That answer appears to be affirmative.
Prospect of the Week: Jarace Walker, 6-8 PF, Fr., Houston
(Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best prospect of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

College basketball started last week, and with it the bulk of the scouting process heading into the 2023 NBA Draft. While the top three players are likely to come from beyond the NCAA’s ranks (French big man Wembanyama, G League Ignite’s Scoot Henderson and Overtime Elite’s Amen Thompson), that still leaves a wide field for a crop of one-and-dones who have generated considerable excitement in their own right.

Most of last week’s games involving major prospects featured one-sided routs of overmatched opponents, so we’ll get a lot more pertinent data on these players as the season goes on. Unhelpfully, two players scouts are most excited to see are also injured right now (Duke’s Dariq Whitehead and Villanova’s Cam Whitmore).

But in the early going, one player who caught my eye was Walker, a 6-foot-8 forward projected to go 18th on our Sam Vecenie’s most recent mock draft. Walker had a dud of an opener (3-of-14 against Northern Colorado) but bounced back with a monster outing in his second college game, with 22 points on 10-of-14 shooting, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals against St. Joseph’s.

Walker has prototype power forward dimensions, looking every inch of his listed height, and with broad shoulders — a Julius Randle or Jarell Martin-type build. Watching him against St. Joe’s, what impressed me was his ability to handle the ball and make guard-like moves despite his size, including one play when he went full-speed down the lane, sidestepped a charge and dropped in a running righty floater while going to his left.

Walker’s shooting also loomed as a question mark heading into the season; he made two 3s against St. Joe’s and looked comfortable doing it but is 2-of-8 on the year. Obviously, we will need a bit more sample size to come down firmly on either side of this one, but the stroke doesn’t look broken.

Walker will need to continue to produce on the court to move up draft boards because his age works against him a bit. His September 2003 birth month also makes him a bit older than several other one-and-dones — he’ll be 20 before he plays his first NBA game (if he enters the 2023 draft) and is 15 months older than a player teams will likely compare him against, South Carolina’s G.G. Jackson.

Nonetheless, even lottery-bound one-and-dones often struggle in their first few weeks of college play. That Walker hit the ground running and already looks like one of the best players on a national title contender is a huge mark in his favor and makes me wonder if his eventual landing spot will be higher than his current consensus projection in the teens.

Will Victor Wembanyama's rise spell the end of Team USA's dynasty?

Victor Wembanyama carries the date in his mind, a sinister anniversary he apparently has been unable to let go.

"That loss, I have thought about it every day since July, 11, 2021," Wembanyama said, in French, in an interview published in L'Equipe. "When everything falls apart in an instant while you are touching your dream, it's hard."

That day in Riga, Latvia, France lost to Team USA 83-81 in the U-19 World Cup final. Wembanyama, as you would expect from the No. 1 basketball prospect on the planet, impressed with 22 points, eight rebounds and eight blocks.

But Wembanyama fouled out with less than three minutes left. The play was clearly a foul -- he had slammed into future Detroit Pistons guard Jaden Ivey on a drive -- but it left Wembanyama steaming.

Wembanyama stomped around the arena, biting the collar of his uniform part in anger and part to prevent him from saying something that would make matters worse. Wembanyama has talked in interviews about how he can totally lose his cool after defeats and that he has to work to "remain civilized." That showed that day in Latvia; he barely held it together.

It is not a surprise to learn the players he has studied the most are Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Another date he can't forget, he said, is Jan. 26, 2020, the day Bryant died.

"I've thought about it almost every day since," Wembanyama said.

"I know all his stats and records, but mostly I admired his state of mind and his philosophy in his approach to the game. ... When I suffer, when I have a doubt, I wonder often what Kobe would have done. And I know he would have done more, so I'm going back to it."

After Wembanyama fouled out, France missed a chance to tie or win when the Americans got two offensive rebounds in the final 10 seconds. Had Wembanyama been in the game, he probably secures those boards, and that fact gnaws at him. When the buzzer sounded as the Americans celebrated, the French teenager heaved the towel he was chewing away in disgust.

"Just thinking about it makes my jaw clench," Wembanyama said. "It's a regret. An unfilled hole inside me that I have to fix."

This is all relevant now because over the past few days, the 18-year-old Wembanyama played for the senior French national team for the first time. It's being billed as a seismic moment in France, drawing comparisons to when soccer heroes Zinedine Zidane and Kylian Mbappé took their first steps playing for Les Bleus.

The progression could set the stage for a potential showdown with the Americans both in the World Cup next summer in Manila, Philippines, and of course, the 2024 Paris Olympics.

In his first game on Friday, Wembanyama scored 20 points with nine rebounds in just 24 minutes in a blowout of Lithuania. Monday, he helped the French seal their bid to the 2023 World Cup with 19 points in 25 minutes in a 92-56 win against Bosnia.

These midseason qualifiers don't typically attract the top talent, as the NBA doesn't even consider halting G League play for them. (Team USA is on the verge of qualifying itself for the World Cup following an 88-81 win against Colombia in Washington, D.C., on Monday using a mix of ex-NBA players and G Leaguers).

But it's important in France. The French League stops play for them, and Vincent Collet, Wembanyama's coach for his pro team, Metropolitans 92, is also the national team coach. That isn't a coincidence: Collet accepted the job with the franchise after Wembanyama pledged to play there last summer for his gap year before entering the 2023 NBA draft.

Just three weeks after the French U-19 team lost to Team USA in the cup final in 2021, their senior national teams played in the gold-medal game in Tokyo, with the Americans winning a closely contested game (87-82).

In 2019, the French beat Team USA in the World Cup in China to break the program's 58-game winning streak that dated back to 2006, knocking them out of the medals. In Tokyo, France beat the Americans in pool play to hand the U.S. its first Olympic loss since 2004, snapping a run of 25 games.

In 2024, the French will have home-court advantage as they try to stop the U.S. from winning a fifth straight Olympic gold.

And they're planning on having Wembanyama, who has said it is his intention to play as many summers as he can with the national team. Combined with French star Rudy Gobert, it gives France a massive edge against any team in the world and a potentially devastating interior defensive duo.

Team USA is in hot water in regard to size at the international level. Many of the world's top centers -- Gobert, Nikola Jokic (Serbia), Deandre Ayton (Bahamas) Jusuf Nurkic (Bosnia), Kristaps Porzingis (Latvia), Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania), Nikola Vucevic (Montenegro), Jakob Poeltl (Austria), Clint Capela (Switzerland), Ivica Zubac (Croatia) -- are non-Americans.

That's the bulk of the starters in the NBA. The Americans are fortunate Bam Adebayo didn't hold too much of a grudge for being the last cut for the 2019 World Cup team. He was eligible to play for Nigeria in Tokyo and seriously considered it before joining Team USA.

Karl-Anthony Towns has an ideal skill set for the international game, but he played for the Dominican Republic national team as a teenager and therefore is ineligible to play for the U.S.

That's why it was quite newsworthy that Joel Embiid became an American citizen earlier this year, and his national team recruitment is an underrated bit of drama leading up to the summer of 2024. Embiid also holds French citizenship and could join Gobert and Wembanyama for Paris if he was so inclined and healthy.

Even at 7-foot-4, Wembanyama's tremendous ball skills allow him to project to playing as a wing at least part-time at the next level. Consider that for a moment.

One more note about Wembanyama: The highlight that is embedded from Monday's game against Bosnia, this outrageously one-footed fading 3-point shot that is a vicious combination of Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant.

Well, it's the second time in the past few games Wembanyama has used it, making a similar shot in the French league a week ago. And get ready to see it more because he explained why it exists to L'Equipe, and this sort of answer is one of the reasons he appears to be the total package: "A basketball player is like a chess player, you have to be able to anticipate every move of your opponents and have a response. Adversaries always adapt. I have been working on this move for months. I want to be able to become indefensible."

The possible coming Wembanyama tidal wave has far-reaching implications, with the past few days serving as a reminder.

Victor has Mamba Blood. :pimp:

Will Victor Wembanyama's rise spell the end of Team USA's dynasty?

Victor Wembanyama carries the date in his mind, a sinister anniversary he apparently has been unable to let go.

"That loss, I have thought about it every day since July, 11, 2021," Wembanyama said, in French, in an interview published in L'Equipe. "When everything falls apart in an instant while you are touching your dream, it's hard."

That day in Riga, Latvia, France lost to Team USA 83-81 in the U-19 World Cup final. Wembanyama, as you would expect from the No. 1 basketball prospect on the planet, impressed with 22 points, eight rebounds and eight blocks.

But Wembanyama fouled out with less than three minutes left. The play was clearly a foul -- he had slammed into future Detroit Pistons guard Jaden Ivey on a drive -- but it left Wembanyama steaming.

Wembanyama stomped around the arena, biting the collar of his uniform part in anger and part to prevent him from saying something that would make matters worse. Wembanyama has talked in interviews about how he can totally lose his cool after defeats and that he has to work to "remain civilized." That showed that day in Latvia; he barely held it together.

It is not a surprise to learn the players he has studied the most are Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Another date he can't forget, he said, is Jan. 26, 2020, the day Bryant died.

"I've thought about it almost every day since," Wembanyama said.

"I know all his stats and records, but mostly I admired his state of mind and his philosophy in his approach to the game. ... When I suffer, when I have a doubt, I wonder often what Kobe would have done. And I know he would have done more, so I'm going back to it."

After Wembanyama fouled out, France missed a chance to tie or win when the Americans got two offensive rebounds in the final 10 seconds. Had Wembanyama been in the game, he probably secures those boards, and that fact gnaws at him. When the buzzer sounded as the Americans celebrated, the French teenager heaved the towel he was chewing away in disgust.

"Just thinking about it makes my jaw clench," Wembanyama said. "It's a regret. An unfilled hole inside me that I have to fix."

This is all relevant now because over the past few days, the 18-year-old Wembanyama played for the senior French national team for the first time. It's being billed as a seismic moment in France, drawing comparisons to when soccer heroes Zinedine Zidane and Kylian Mbappé took their first steps playing for Les Bleus.

The progression could set the stage for a potential showdown with the Americans both in the World Cup next summer in Manila, Philippines, and of course, the 2024 Paris Olympics.

In his first game on Friday, Wembanyama scored 20 points with nine rebounds in just 24 minutes in a blowout of Lithuania. Monday, he helped the French seal their bid to the 2023 World Cup with 19 points in 25 minutes in a 92-56 win against Bosnia.

These midseason qualifiers don't typically attract the top talent, as the NBA doesn't even consider halting G League play for them. (Team USA is on the verge of qualifying itself for the World Cup following an 88-81 win against Colombia in Washington, D.C., on Monday using a mix of ex-NBA players and G Leaguers).

But it's important in France. The French League stops play for them, and Vincent Collet, Wembanyama's coach for his pro team, Metropolitans 92, is also the national team coach. That isn't a coincidence: Collet accepted the job with the franchise after Wembanyama pledged to play there last summer for his gap year before entering the 2023 NBA draft.

Just three weeks after the French U-19 team lost to Team USA in the cup final in 2021, their senior national teams played in the gold-medal game in Tokyo, with the Americans winning a closely contested game (87-82).

In 2019, the French beat Team USA in the World Cup in China to break the program's 58-game winning streak that dated back to 2006, knocking them out of the medals. In Tokyo, France beat the Americans in pool play to hand the U.S. its first Olympic loss since 2004, snapping a run of 25 games.

In 2024, the French will have home-court advantage as they try to stop the U.S. from winning a fifth straight Olympic gold.

And they're planning on having Wembanyama, who has said it is his intention to play as many summers as he can with the national team. Combined with French star Rudy Gobert, it gives France a massive edge against any team in the world and a potentially devastating interior defensive duo.

Team USA is in hot water in regard to size at the international level. Many of the world's top centers -- Gobert, Nikola Jokic (Serbia), Deandre Ayton (Bahamas) Jusuf Nurkic (Bosnia), Kristaps Porzingis (Latvia), Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania), Nikola Vucevic (Montenegro), Jakob Poeltl (Austria), Clint Capela (Switzerland), Ivica Zubac (Croatia) -- are non-Americans.

That's the bulk of the starters in the NBA. The Americans are fortunate Bam Adebayo didn't hold too much of a grudge for being the last cut for the 2019 World Cup team. He was eligible to play for Nigeria in Tokyo and seriously considered it before joining Team USA.

Karl-Anthony Towns has an ideal skill set for the international game, but he played for the Dominican Republic national team as a teenager and therefore is ineligible to play for the U.S.

That's why it was quite newsworthy that Joel Embiid became an American citizen earlier this year, and his national team recruitment is an underrated bit of drama leading up to the summer of 2024. Embiid also holds French citizenship and could join Gobert and Wembanyama for Paris if he was so inclined and healthy.

Even at 7-foot-4, Wembanyama's tremendous ball skills allow him to project to playing as a wing at least part-time at the next level. Consider that for a moment.

One more note about Wembanyama: The highlight that is embedded from Monday's game against Bosnia, this outrageously one-footed fading 3-point shot that is a vicious combination of Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant.

Well, it's the second time in the past few games Wembanyama has used it, making a similar shot in the French league a week ago. And get ready to see it more because he explained why it exists to L'Equipe, and this sort of answer is one of the reasons he appears to be the total package: "A basketball player is like a chess player, you have to be able to anticipate every move of your opponents and have a response. Adversaries always adapt. I have been working on this move for months. I want to be able to become indefensible."

The possible coming Wembanyama tidal wave has far-reaching implications, with the past few days serving as a reminder.

Victor has Mamba Blood. :pimp:

Influence

I want to go back and watch him at that tournament

2023 NBA draft top 100 and stock watch: Who impressed at the Champions Classic?

The Champions Classic serves as an annual introduction for fans and some NBA executives to the next line of elite prospects competing at college basketball's most prestigious blue bloods. Few will forget Zion Williamson's 28-point, seven-rebound performance in just 23 minutes in Duke's 2018 blowout win over Kentucky or guard Grayson Allen exploding for 37 points in 2017 as the Blue Devils beat Michigan State.

The event can also be fools gold for scouting, too -- as fluky hot shooting (Quentin Grimes for Kansas in 2018) or savvy veteran experience (MSU's Keith Appling's near triple-double in 2013) can create false impressions that eventually fade. Sometimes those narratives last -- Jabari Parker backed up his No. 1 pick hype by starting his season off with a bang (27 points, nine rebounds in the 2013 Champions Classic) and rode that momentum all year, while Kentucky's Kevin Knox was the best player on the floor in 2017. Both players' NBA careers ended up fizzling out in disappointing fashion despite hot starts to their college careers.

It's important to take the Champions Classic with a grain of salt and not overreact to what we saw on one of college basketball's biggest platforms with more than 100 NBA scouts and executives in the building.

For the first time this season, we're debuting our top-100 prospects tool which includes detailed scouting observations on most players dating back to 2018. See how our thoughts have evolved over time, and keep checking back as we'll continue to populate blurbs for all of the top prospects in the 2023 NBA draft class as new players inevitably emerge. This tool can be found in the "best available" tab in the ESPN NBA draft section.

Duke needs Kyle Filipowski to be a star

Filipowski enrolled at Duke as a projected top-10 pick, but the early reports from NBA scouts out of Durham were far from positive -- not all that dissimilar to what we heard about AJ Griffin at the same time last year. Filipowski looked a step behind on both ends of the floor, scouts said, struggling to make good decisions with the ball and getting lit up defensively, inside and out. I attended a Duke practice in October and saw much of the same. Coach Jon Scheyer was riding him to play harder, take the open shots that were presented to him and do a better job crashing the glass and staying in front of his man.

It was obvious why Scheyer was being so hard on him -- Duke has very little in the way of reliable shot-creators and need Filipowski to shoulder a big load offensively, especially with five-star freshman Dariq Whitehead out with a foot injury. If Duke is going to return to the Final Four, they'll need Filipowski to play a Paolo Banchero-type role as a mismatch power forward pushing off the defensive glass, creating from the mid-post and making shots from the perimeter.

Filipowski delivered in a major way against Kansas, posting 17 points, 14 rebounds and mostly holding his own defensively thanks to his size, intensity and smarts. He was all over the glass on both ends of the floor and kept Duke in the game offensively on a night they were only able to muster up 64 points due to ice-cold 3-for-21 shooting from outside.

The results weren't perfect as Filipowski missed some good looks around the rim (5-for-12 from 2) and went just 1-for-6 for 3, being out of position at times defensively on the perimeter when asked to guard smaller players. Still, we're talking about a 7-footer who can handle the ball, find the open man and shoot in a variety of ways, who is playing with a big competitive streak on both ends of the floor -- something NBA teams scour the globe for. If he continues to produce all season and finds a way to get his good-looking jumper to fall with more regularity, it will be difficult to keep Filipowski out of lottery conversations based on what we saw in Indianapolis.

Gradey **** is ahead of schedule

No freshman had a more impressive season debut than Kansas forward **** -- posting 23 points in 31 minutes in a blowout win over Omaha with several eye-opening dunks, deep 3s off-movement and strong defensive possessions on and off the ball. The Champions Classic would present a much higher level of competition, though, so many scouts were curious to see how that would translate to a tough matchup with Duke.

Translate it did, as **** was the best player on the court in several stretches, most notably down the stretch where he scored seven consecutive points to ice the game for the Jayhawks.

**** proved to be more than just an outstanding shooter (43% for 3 on the season so far), making several outstanding cuts and acrobatic finishes in this game, hitting a mid-range pull-up jumper attacking a closeout, and leaking out intelligently in transition for a tough finish through contact.

He continued to make a strong impression defensively, heating up the ball in the backcourt, coming up with deflections, and drawing an offensive foul locking up Tyrese Proctor one-on-one. While not the strongest, longest or rangiest defender, **** has a great foundation to build off with the effort level he provides, his anticipation skills off the ball and the toughness he displays.

**** is displaying a great deal of calmness and confidence you wouldn't necessarily expect from an 18-year-old, something that bodes well for the role he's projected to play in the NBA. It's very early in the season, but there aren't many teams in the NBA who won't be interested in adding a 6-7 dead-eye shooter with a strong feel for the game who looks capable of holding his own defensively.

Cason Wallace is a force defensively

Wallace had a strong showing at the Champions Classic, posting 14 points, eight steals, five rebounds and five assists in Kentucky's double-overtime loss. Most notable were the steals, showing outstanding physicality, awareness, intensity and instincts in one-on-one situations, jumping passing lanes, and digging down from the weakside, leading to several run-out baskets. Wallace has a knack for anticipating opponents' passes and pre-rotating to deny the ball or sneaking in for timely swipe-downs to create turnovers. He's also much stronger than at first glance, being able to absorb blows from bigger players and still contain them off the dribble on the perimeter. He's an excellent rebounder and had one awesome block rotating to protect the rim and erase a sure-fire dunk.

Offensively, Wallace hit a pair of smooth-looking spot-up 3-pointers and did a nice job of probing with the ball and dishing to open teammates. He's Kentucky's most reliable post-entry passer, often tasked with feeding forward Oscar Tshiebwe in the paint and generally doing a good job of getting the ball where it needs to be in the half-court.

His limitations as a creator in the half-court were also evident, as he's not the most dynamic ball handler or explosive driver and struggles to put pressure on the rim, often being forced to settle for low-percentage floaters and pull-ups from difficult vantage points inside the arc. He ran out of gas late in the game and made some bad decisions when Kentucky desperately needed someone to step up and make a play off the dribble down the stretch. Navigating Kentucky's lack of spacing will likely be an issue all season with the number of non-shooters and non-passers coach John Calipari has assembled once again, so how Wallace evolves as a half-court creator will likely play a key role in how he's viewed as a prospect on draft night.

Wallace clearly has a high floor as a prospect with his lockdown defensive prowess, toughness, feel for the game, ability to make open shots and how he impacts winning. Scouts will try to get a better feel for his offensive ceiling as the season moves on.

Dereck Lively II didn't look ready

After missing nearly a month of action with a calf injury that forced him to miss several scrimmages and Duke's regular season opener, it shouldn't be a major surprise that Lively didn't look ready to make an impact against the defending national champions. His only offense came on a pair of well-timed putback dunks. He struggled to be in the right spots defensively -- looking a step-slow -- particularly guarding pick and roll.

Lively's thin frame allowed Kansas to screen him out of the action repeatedly and nullify his best attribute, rim-protection prowess. He got scored on around the basket several times even when he was in position to make a play, most glaringly giving up a crucial and-one allowing a non-scoring guard, Dajuan Harris Jr., to catch and finish a bounce pass in rhythm as Lively was showing too high up on a screen. Duke is going to need Lively to get up to speed quickly as they embark on a crucial trip to Portland for the PK-85 next week.

Oscar Tshiebwe is still the best player in college basketball

Tshiebwe surprised no one in posting 22 points, 18 rebounds and four blocks in his return from knee surgery before fouling out, as the consensus National Player of the Year looks primed for another run at all the same awards he won last season.

Tshiebwe's instincts and historic production as a rebounder are well documented and were on full display again with the way he inhaled every loose ball caroming off the rim on both ends of the floor, even missed free throws. He carved out deep post position at will, knocked down all four of his free throws and had some strong moments protecting the rim with his 7-4 wingspan.

Still, many of the same limitations we saw last year that held back his draft stock were evident again against Michigan State -- namely his struggles as a passer (five turnovers), his occasionally poor shot selection (including one baffling turnaround jumper towards the end of regulation) and especially his inability to defend in space which the Spartans fully looked to exploit whenever he was in the game. Tshiebwe's lack of mobility and awareness are major hindrances projecting to the NBA, as he struggles to navigate screens and is prone to falling asleep and losing his man off the ball, which is how Michigan State tied the game at the end of regulation on an in-bounds play.

Tshiebwe is no doubt en route to another fantastic season from a productivity standpoint, and is sure to find a team that values the incredible energy he brings, likely in the second round.

Scoot-Ivey-Cade pairing if the Pistons land @ 2?

ty-removebg-preview.png

How Overtime Elite aims to find its ‘voice’ in Year 2 and expand pathway to NBA

On a Friday night last month, the Roselle Catholic High School gym buzzed with excitement as Overtime Elite, the nascent but growing basketball league, brought its spectacle to New Jersey. This was a homecoming for one of its new stars and a traveling roadshow for the league itself, and there was certainly interest. A group of teenagers flocked to OTE players between games. Agency personnel and a national scout dotted the stands. Seton Hall head coach Shaheen Holloway took a seat catty-corner to the OTE bench.

OTE debuted last season with a shiny new arena and a host of famous investors as a potential disruptor in amateur sports, in part because it took amateurism out of the picture altogether. In this second year, OTE continues to grow and change. It has drawn even more high-end talent down to its Atlanta base and signed a media rights deal with Amazon. It has even found a place for amateurism once again as name, image and likeness deals have proliferated at colleges across the country.

The league’s evolution was visible in that New Jersey gym, which served as a return home for Naasir Cunningham, a consensus top-five recruit in the class of 2024. He had starred at a nearby high school until this summer, when he left for OTE. His recruitment was a coup for the league.

It was also different from the rest. Cunningham, unlike the first class of OTE players, did not take a salary. The 17-year-old is with the league on a scholarship, thereby leaving open a lane to still play college basketball when he is old enough. Punting on a salary to join a league known for guaranteeing at least $100,000 to each of its players was a counterintuitive choice. It’s also one that nine other OTE players made this season.

“The scholarship option (for high-school aged recruits) has been big for us, if not bigger than NIL,” said Damien Wilkins, OTE’s general manager. “Because now we can go out and recruit without restrictions. There’s no real downside.”

This is just one of the ways in which the league has pivoted in Year 2. OTE has further prioritized player development, rearranging its coaching staff and practice schedules to affirm that. It has landed a three-year media rights deal to broadcast 20 games on Amazon Prime, in addition to the bulwarks the league has made on TikTok and Instagram. Salaries for players have returned but so have NCAA-compliant options like scholarships.

If the first year was about setting up the league and creating something new, this year is about fiddling with new ideas to seek out what works and what doesn’t, then implementing them.

Dan Porter, Overtime’s CEO and co-founder, said that course was necessary as the league transitioned between seasons. During an interview with The Athletic several months ago, Porter discussed what he had learned from OTE’s debut season and listed off how Overtime Elite’s identity had been forged through experimentation. By being so new, he said, it had the leeway to shift quickly.

“We are not an NBA team,” he said. “We’re not the NBA. We’re not a college team. We’re not Kansas or Duke or Kentucky. We’re not a high school team. We are our own entity. And there are things you can take piecemeal from understanding how professional basketball works and college basketball works, but none of them are exactly right for us. So you can’t have a voice in social (that) sounds like Duke men’s basketball or sounds like the Lakers. You have to figure out what your voice is and all of that. Same for the experience when the fans come in the arena. Same for all of those things.”

This next year will be crucial for Overtime Elite. It could very well end with the league’s first two NBA Draft lottery picks — twins Amen and Ausar Thompson are each projected to go in the top 10. The Amazon Prime broadcasts could open the league to new audiences. It has added not just Cunningham to its stable of players, but also Robert Dillingham, a Kentucky commit and a top-10 recruit in his high school class.

The hope is these expansions will not only show off Overtime Elite as a media product — the Amazon deal gives the league a wider reach, in addition to the success it has already on social media, where it has 1.4 million TikTok followers and 467,000 Instagram followers — but also as a proving ground for future pros. OTE had three players reach the NBA or G League this offseason, with one making an NBA Summer League roster, another a G League draft pick and Dominick Barlow on a two-way deal with the San Antonio Spurs.

Barlow came away impressed by his one year with the league. He joined as a well-rated but hardly highly touted prospect and came out with an NBA deal.

“They did a really great job of player development and really engaging the players and kind of picking their brain on what they want to get better at too,” he said. “It wasn’t just a one-way street. So that was definitely a great experience.”

His opinion carried weight as Cunningham considered his options. Cunningham listened to his former AAU teammate, especially as Barlow stressed how much his time in Atlanta helped him improve. Cunningham was skeptical at first, put off by OTE’s newness, but became convinced after visiting OTE’s multi-million dollar facility and meeting with staff and coaches.

Still, he didn’t want to narrow his future options by taking a salary, so Cunningham’s parents and OTE staff figured out that the scholarship route would be plausible. NIL remains an option for him as well: Scholarship players at OTE can sign NIL deals as long as they don’t conflict with Overtime’s primary sponsors in Gatorade, MetaQuest and State Farm. OTE has hired an NCAA compliance officer to make sure it stays inbounds.

Cunningham has continued to take college visits — he mentioned trips to Missouri, Rutgers, Seton Hall and UConn — and each one reinforced how OTE already offers an environment similar to what he could find at the next level. He sees common ground between the two, from the routines college coaches detail to their facilities.

He has enjoyed OTE’s all-in approach to basketball, something he said he could not get at his New Jersey high school. There, he didn’t have a nutritionist or as dedicated a strength coach, he said. If he wants to get into the gym late at night to shoot — OTE’s gym is open until midnight — he’ll get help or a coach to join him. Rare, too, is OTE draws visits from high-profile stars like Devin Booker, Thad Young and Pau Gasol, all investors who regularly sift through the building.

These perks are each part of the push made by OTE executives to hone in on player development. To top high-school aged players, they can pitch a daily trial by fire, where the best face their peers. That opportunity is what sold Cunningham.

“In regular high school, you have those games where the whole team is — like it’s not fun,” he said. “It’s a waste of time. Nobody on the team is a high-level player. You’re not getting better. Here, every day, there’s somebody that’s gonna push you to get better, and you’re gonna push somebody else to get better. So I feel like the competition here is a lot different.”

OTE brass have also worked to improve its own level of competition this season after taking feedback from players’ parents and agents. It has added games outside of just the six teams within its league, with teams going to New Jersey to play high-level AAU teams or taking on Bronny James and his AAU team in Atlanta. OTE took its draft-eligible players on a trip to play professionals in Spain this summer and went to Phoenix to face the Adelaide 76ers during the Australian pro team’s American tour.

The league rearranged its staff this season to augment that as well. It has more than doubled the amount of skills coaches on its payroll, from three to seven.

Last season, practice was mostly centered on the team, with every player practicing at once at the cost of individual attention. This year, there is more individual training. Teams practice at different times and for shorter periods — each session is no longer than an hour. Coaches now run players through 55-minute individual workouts, including film study. This is during a day that still includes a class schedule and high school students pursuing an education.

“The development is everything,” VP of recruiting and player personnel Tim Fuller said. “OTE would just be another prep school if it wasn’t for the development. We would just be another basketball factory trying to get wins and put players on television. But that’s not our goal. Our goal is to have those children or those student athletes cross the finish line. And the finish line for us is when they shake (NBA commissioner) Adam Silver’s hand. Whereas other people are trying to get wins. They want to win Geico (High School Basketball Nationals), they (want to) win national championships, they want to check more boxes. We’re trying to make sure that each player can play a complete game.”

As OTE continues to focus on how its players can improve, it also fixates on the business itself. It is a consumer product too. Those two are inter-related, Porter believes. Player development is important in recruiting, he said, but also as a compelling reason to watch. It gives the league a narrative to sell and a reason for audiences to tune in.

One day, Porter hopes Silver will give the league a public stamp of approval as a pathway to the NBA. Porter thinks it will take two to three years for that to happen, as OTE optimizes itself for what NBA teams seek.

“It’s a weird balance because if you go to play for Auburn or Kentucky, their goal is to win a national tournament,” he said. “It’s not to send you to the NBA. Our goal is to make an incredible media product that fans love and also send you to the NBA because in part it’s going to be partially interesting because you want to watch the people on the journey, and that’s the story of Overtime. If you’d asked me five years ago ‘What is Overtime?’ It was like Overtime is like ESPN a year or two before because you’re following all these people at a high level of content and a Gen Z voice, but you’re going on their journey. And so I think we’re trying to do the same thing here.”

He’ll consider the league a success, he said, when fans in the middle of the country, far from OTE’s Atlanta base (where each of the six teams is located), will cry in agony when their favorite OTE team lost in the final. For OTE, Year 1 was about getting people to know it exists. Now, it’s about getting people to care.

To achieve that, Overtime will have to adjust, habitually, to the desires of its players and by moving toward its fans. Porter talks of a company he sold a decade ago, on the back of a highly popular iPhone game. That company was a success, he adds, despite launching a year before the iPhone debuted.

“Our competitor is the attention of the young viewer and their willingness to engage,” Porter said. “Video games. Not really the NBA or the NCAA. You can like basketball in a lot of different shapes and sizes. It’s not an either/or. Our competitor is our ability to get their attention and get them to care and to make sure we attract the athletes of the highest caliber. That’s a huge driver for the league.”

Proctor is best with the ball in his hands. Excited to watch his growth.

Ready to see Whitehead return to the floor. Likely allows Proctor and Mark/Flip take advantage of playing 2nd units

Whitehead will open the entire floor up and allow proper spacing

Back
Top Bottom