2025 NBA Draft Thread

NBA Draft: How Brandon Miller closed the gap between himself and Scoot Henderson

Over the last few weeks, more high-level NBA decision-makers have gotten a chance to get out into the NBA Draft scouting arenas. And those arenas are more multi-faceted than ever.

College basketball is still where you can see the most prospects. Conference tournaments allow executives to truly prioritize their time well by seeing larger numbers of prospects in the same location in a single day. This year, the SEC tournament was, based on my conversations, the most popular among scouts and executives. Beyond that, the G League Ignite have three potential first-round picks, including potential No. 2 overall pick Scoot Henderson. Overtime Elite just had its playoffs and championship games, where potential lottery picks Amen and Ausar Thompson swept through the event and looked terrific in doing so. And of course, Victor Wembanyama lurks overseas as he leads Metropolitans 92 from the bottom of its league last season toward a top-two regular-season finish this year.

This all leads to more opinions being articulated in conversations with scouts, agents and media members. We’re too early in the process for true smoke screens — those will come once the lottery order is set in May — and with a little more than three months until the draft, teams are really starting to hone in on the tiers in which they have placed prospects on their boards.

These rankings and tiers aren’t set in stone, but they are solidifying. And one opinion starting to solidify for executives in front offices across the NBA is that Alabama forward Brandon Miller is very much in the conversation at No. 2 overall, behind Wembanyama.

This is not a media creation or something with which people are trying to drum up interest at the top of a draft that has had precious little intrigue thus far. It is not a foregone conclusion that Henderson will be picked at No. 2. I’ve talked with a number of lead front-office executives as well as high-level scouts who either think the margin between Miller and Henderson is razor thin or just have Miller ahead at this point.

This is a very stark departure from what has been portrayed throughout the season, when Henderson has been seen at No. 2 on nearly every public-facing big board or mock draft since the preseason up until the last month. Heck, the NBA put on an entire scouting event for Henderson’s Ignite and Wembanyama’s Metropolitans 92 to face off against each other. I still have Henderson at No. 2 on my own mock draft and big board, even following these discussions with teams. He’s an elite-level competitor with elite athleticism, terrific passing and playmaking ability and high-end shot creation upside. I completely buy him. Miller is in the same tier for me, but I’m a believer in Henderson as something like a combination of Anthony Edwards and Derrick Rose.

But the Henderson-Miller conversation has become real over the course of the last few weeks for many who work within NBA front offices. There are a few reasons for that. Largely, it has do with Miller’s play. He’s shown improvement over the course of the season in the exact areas in which scouts wanted to see growth. This isn’t a case where Henderson doesn’t necessarily look like a top pick anymore; it’s that Miller looks like a real option there too. Despite being a year and a half older than Henderson, Miller’s growth trajectory, per these sources, is on a positive plane we’ll talk about below.

All of this, of course, is barring any further fallout from Miller’s situation at Alabama. A police investigator testified in court last month that Miller brought then-teammate Darius Miles the gun that was used in the Jan. 15 fatal shooting of 23-year-old Jamea Jonae Harris. Miller’s attorney rebutted the report, and Miller has remained an active member of the team. Miles and Michael Lynn Davis, who is not associated with the university, have been charged with capital murder.

Prior to the shooting, NBA team sources, who were granted anonymity so that they could speak freely, indicated the cursory early-season background checks they had done into Miller had come back positively. However, this situation has shined a new light onto Miller, and teams will want to do their own due diligence to get all of the information they possibly can.

If nothing changes regarding the current information at NBA teams’ disposal, Miller will be in the mix to be the No. 2 overall pick. Miller, a 6-foot-9 wing, is averaging 19.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists while shooting 45 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3 on over seven attempts per game. He is considered a solid defender — not a future All-Defense guy like Paul George, but one who could end up as above average in the vein of a Khris Middleton. However, it’s the rate of improvement over this last month that has made scouts extremely excited.

The first question scouts had revolved around Miller’s shot creation off the bounce, particularly going forward toward the rim. Over his first nine games, Miller shot a disastrous 32.8 percent from inside the arc, displaying difficulty getting all the way to the rim because of poor footwork on his drives and an ability to get bumped off balance. Throughout SEC play, Miller nearly doubled that mark, shooting 61.6 percent from 2-point range. In large part, that came from having better plans on his drives. Instead of aimlessly driving and predetermining his move, Miller is now reacting to what defenders present to him and maneuvering around them to get cleaner pathways toward the basket. His last step acceleration has really improved to be able to separate from defenders for that last instant, and he’s done a better job of using his frame to shield defenders from his path with the ball to the basket.

Throughout the process, I’ve been higher on Miller’s ability to string out defenders in ball screens and force those mismatch opportunities against bigs. His handle has never been all that poor; he just hasn’t gotten the most out of that footwork when driving forward toward the rim. Getting to a stepback and being able to drag defenders out is a different skill than attacking the rim. Now that he has worked through the footwork and can play through contact a bit more, everything is coming together in a tangible way for him as an attack-oriented player who can get to the rim. Over his last 12 games, per Synergy, Miller is actually getting to the basket for four shots within 5 feet of the rim per game in the half court (not including transition opportunities). He’s making those at a 58 percent clip, which is good given that he’s self-creating most of them on drives as opposed to finding those shots off cuts.

Off this improved driving patience and skill has come the development of his passing and playmaking. Miller has showcased some high-level, complex reads over the last few weeks that have heartened scouts into believing he can be a player who acts as a secondary initiator of an offense in time. He averaged 3.5 assists over Alabama’s last five games, including a few impressive cross-corner kick-outs and live-dribble looks that showcased impressive vision, as well as the ability to execute high-end reads with one hand. Long seen as something of a point forward at the prep levels, it took a bit of time for Miller to get comfortable with this part of his game at the college level. He’s there now, as you’ll see here.

Essentially, Miller has turned what were perceived to be weaknesses early in the season into strengths. He looks like the kind of prototype bigger wing creator who can defend at a reasonable level who teams covet across the league. Every NBA team I talk to is trying to find guys with plus positional size, athleticism, shooting ability and basketball IQ. Miller ticks some of those boxes more than others, but he doesn’t take anything off of the table in any one of those categories either. This is the player type NBA teams are trying to move heaven and earth to acquire. They’re arguably the hardest type of player to find, and they’re incredibly valuable when they hit.

All of this is why Miller has moved into the conversation at No. 2. This isn’t to say he’ll go higher than Henderson, but it will depend on the team that gets the pick now. It also has helped Miller that Henderson put together arguably his worst month in two years with the Ignite program post-All-Star break. In those eight games, Henderson averaged just 14.9 points while shooting 39 percent from the field and 27 percent from 3. Within that stretch, Henderson also averaged 7.5 assists and upped his rebounding rate substantially. But on the whole, scouts who have seen the Ignite recently have come away just a touch underwhelmed given expectations. And now it looks like Henderson is going to shut things down, as ESPN reported on Tuesday that Henderson will not play in the Ignite’s final five games.

There’s some truth and some fallacy to many of the arguments surrounding Henderson, even from scouts. Some will point to Henderson’s low free-throw rate as evidence that he’s settling too much and might not be an elite driver. I agree Henderson settled far too much recently, but his free-throw rate isn’t great evidence of that. He has only taken about three free-throw attempts per game this season. But in the G League, you only get one free throw attempt on shooting fouls for the first 46 minutes of a game. Only seven players in the entire league who have played in at least 20 games are averaging at least four free throws per game this season. Henderson is 32nd in the league in free throws drawn per game among those 324 players who have seen action in at least 20 games. You’d probably like to see that ranking a bit higher given his explosiveness, but I don’t think it’s a flag.

What is a bit more concerning is that Henderson, an elite athlete with power and physicality to spare in a shredded 6-foot-2 frame featuring a 6-foot-9 wingspan and enormous hands, took 93 shots at the rim in the half court versus 149 midrange jumpers this season. Too often, Henderson seemed comfortable to just get into that midrange area and fire up a 15-footer from the elbows. He’s pretty terrific in the middle of the floor and from the right elbow but hasn’t made a ton from the left side of the floor yet. It’s not all that dissimilar from what we’ve seen from past elite athletes as teenagers. Edwards took just over 100 shots at the rim versus 224 shots from outside of 13 feet in his season at Georgia, per Synergy. Rose took 172 jumpers on 253 half-court shot attempts at Memphis in 2007-08, per Synergy.

You can certainly make the case that Henderson, playing on an NBA-spaced court, should have an easier time getting to the rim. But there are real caveats there. The Ignite are not a team that shoots the ball well. They take the fewest 3s per game in the G League. The team tries to stick Henderson to elite shooting 2012 first-round pick John Jenkins in lineup combinations, but he’s really the only guy providing any space out there. Leonard Miller and Sidy Cissoko are not respected as shooters by opponents. Center Eric Mika has not attempted a 3 this season and is not a particularly vertical rim-runner. London Johnson, Cameron Young and Mojave King, Henderson’s three next-most common lineup partners, all shoot about 32 percent from 3.

To me, it seems like Henderson has things in neutral right now. There are moments when he decides to truly dominate. But more often than not when watching him, it seems like we’re watching an ultra competitor who has nothing to actually compete for. Nobody cares if the G League Ignite wins or loses. Henderson’s been told he’s locked into the No. 2 overall pick in the 2023 draft for over a year. I wouldn’t blame Henderson if he was making a business decision to try to avoid contact to not get hurt — especially given that he’s already suffered a nasal fracture, an ankle injury and a concussion this season. His recent play, where he rarely seems to get into areas with traffic and doesn’t seem all that engaged on the defensive end, would line up with that mindset. I don’t blame him for shutting things down given all of those factors.

Many people around the league are largely willing to give Henderson a relative pass. I haven’t talked to anyone within the NBA who is actually worried about his play. But the race for the No. 2 overall pick is actually competitive, and Miller’s play has really made it a question for NBA teams.

Hollinger’s NBA Draft talk: Henderson vs. Miller, NCAA Tournament players to watch and more

When it comes to the NBA Draft, some folks are just getting started while many others are nearly done.

With the NCAA Tournament starting this week, a lot of fans will be getting their first looks at some of the main players in this upcoming draft. So will some of the league’s owners and high-level executives, who tend to parachute into the process late once the work of the trade deadline is done.

This is interesting because the work of the league’s scouts is mostly done at this point. NBA teams typically have their entire staffs fan out to the various conference tournaments, which enables one-stop shopping to see nearly every team in a given league. (Some execs will turn this into an endurance event, stacking one-day trips to see, say, the ACC quarterfinals one day, the SEC quarterfinals the next and the Big Ten semifinals the day after. Let’s just say I did this once … and only once.)

As for the NCAA Tournament? Scouting staffs often watch that in takeout-littered conference rooms, channel surfing from game to game. The seats and access for pro teams at these events aren’t very good (the media seats, on the other hand, are amazing), so instead, this week becomes a time for everyone to retreat and compare notes.

The focal point for much of the NBA last weekend was the SEC, the league that most consider having the best draft talent this season by a wide margin. While the SEC’s domination of football is well known, don’t sleep on them in hoops either.

Yes, the Big 12 is still the best league, for now, and the SEC still has a few too many doormats not pulling their weight (hi, Georgia). But the Big 12 is more of a, shall we say, “veteran” league. In terms of the one-and-dones and sophomores who garner the most NBA attention, the SEC dominates. That pattern may only increase as the league’s football riches flow into basketball NIL deals and as Oklahoma and Texas move to the league in 2024.

I spent this past weekend at the SEC tournament in Nashville, Tenn., checking out the action, talking to scouts and coaches and filling in what I’ve seen on TV with some more in-person observations. Additionally, I’ve been making the rounds all season checking in on draft talent in between NBA stops.

At this point, I’ve seen 22 of the top 29 players on Sam Vecenie’s latest board play in person and will be redoubling my efforts this week to catch a couple more. (Sadly, a trip to New Zealand to see Rayan Rupert is not in the cards.)

Here are some key thoughts as we head into the NCAA Tournament, focusing on players we will be watching during March Madness, and some takeaways from the SEC tournament:

Is there a race for No. 2?

I alluded to this in my column Monday when I wrote about Scoot Henderson’s somewhat disappointing season with G League Ignite, but Alabama’s Brandon Miller is making the No. 2 spot on draft boards a competition.

Teams are going to have a lot of questions about Miller. A police investigator testified in court last month that Miller brought then-teammate Darius Miles a gun that was used in the Jan. 15 fatal shooting of 23-year-old Jamea Jonae Harris. Miller’s attorney rebutted the report, and Miller has remained an active member of the Crimson Tide. Teams are doing extensive due diligence on Miller and his background.

On the court, Miller has made an impression. A 6-foot-9 wing who can handle the ball, shoot with range and defend on the perimeter, Miller is the prototype for the positionless league of big, skilled wings. While his shot can come out a bit flat, he has shot 40.1 percent from the 3-point arc on massive volume (12.6 attempts per 100 possessions) and 85.6 percent from the line. I’d say he’s a plus-shooter. Miller also offers rebounding from the small forward spot, secondary rim protection and passes the ball well enough in the pick-and-roll to serve as a primary initiator.

I tend to put more weight on conference games than the rest of the season because the teams are better and heavily scouted. Several games also are rematches.

And in conference games, Miller was even better, with a 28.1 PER and some excellent point efficiency — 61.6 percent on 2s with a high free-throw rate and 63.5 percent true shooting overall.

Are there warts here? Sure, but you have to stare hard. Despite his size, Miller isn’t a particularly explosive or instinctive finisher around the rim. He’s also not a disruptive defender with low rates of stocks for this archetype. Finally, he’s an “old” freshman who will turn 21 in November — Henderson is 16 months younger, which is a big deal when you’re plotting out potential development growth.

But this isn’t some kind of foggy upside play — Miller might be the best perimeter player in college basketball right now. Between his positional value and immediate dividends, it no longer seems zany to talk about him going second.

SEC’s one-and-done dilemma

Perhaps no league has as many potential one-and-dones as the SEC, with nearly every decent team (and one or two indecent ones) having at least one such player on its roster. While high-level talent like Miller and Arkansas’ guards (more on them below) were the main attraction, a lot of evaluators also were in Nashville doubling down on some freshmen who weren’t necessarily in the limelight but could be in the draft.

They’re not necessarily projected as lottery picks (or even as first-rounders in several cases), but that hasn’t stopped people before. Players such as Tennessee’s Julian Phillips, Alabama’s Noah Clowney and Jaden Bradley, Arkansas’ Jordan Walsh, South Carolina’s GG Jackson, Kentucky’s Chris Livingston and Florida’s Riley Kugel all warranted a “watch” tag at the tournament in case they decide to turn pro later this spring. (You also could throw Ole Miss sophomore Matthew Murrell and Florida sophomore Will Richard into this discussion.)

In nearly every case, I came away thinking the steak wasn’t quite fully cooked yet. Any team drafting one of these players is committing to a development project on a set of mostly unrefined tools largely centered around, “Hey, he looks pretty athletic.” Given the relatively weak 2024 class and floor-leveler of NIL money, most or all of these guys would probably be better off staying another season.

One player who made the strongest impression was Clowney, a 6-10 slender, stretch-four candidate who is still just 18. While he shoots 28.6 percent from 3, watching him shoot before warmups gives a different impression. He doesn’t shoot like a 28 percent shooter — the ball comes off his hand in one clean, smooth motion on his catch-and-shoots.

Nobody was shocked to see him knock down three catch-and-shoot triples in the semifinal against Missouri. Clowney already has size for an NBA four (if not a five) and is still likely growing into his body and seems to have enough mobility to be credible defending the perimeter.

Even he needs some developmental work before he’s viable in a real NBA game. Clowney doesn’t offer much shot creation and adds little spice as a defensive disruptor. But the scouts crowding into Alabama games to watch Miller have certainly taken note of Clowney as well. Of all the players I listed above, he seems the most likely to be a late riser come June.

All eyes on Arkansas

If there’s one team for draftniks to keep a close eye on, it’s probably Arkansas. The Razorbacks play Illinois in a coin-flip No. 8 versus No. 9 game to open the tournament and then face the huge task of top-seeded Kansas if they advance. The Illinois game should be popular in NBA conference rooms, a mid-afternoon tilt against an Illini team that also has three potential draftees in forwards Coleman Hawkins, Terrence Shannon Jr. and Matthew Mayer.

Arkansas could have five players drafted in June if they all declare. In addition to Walsh (above), guards Anthony Black and Nick Smith are likely lottery picks, and leading scorer Ricky Council IV is projected as an early-to-mid second-rounder. A fifth player, forward Trevon Brazile, also could end up being a second-rounder, but he hasn’t played a game since tearing his ACL in December.

Smith came into the year with the most hype as a high-scoring guard in the Malik Monk mold, but at the SEC tournament, Black made the biggest impression. The 6-7 point guard is a skillful passer and playmaker who showed some real craft operating out of pick-and-rolls and also has the dexterity and feel to be a major disruptor at the defensive end. His size should allow him to switch across positions as well.

That could push him as high as No. 4 on some draft boards, but there are shortcomings to consider. Black is a shaky outside shooter with a push set shot from distance that requires time and space to get away. He’s a 31.0 percent 3-point shooter on the season and struggles to punish opponents who go under screens against him. And while he moves well and gets off the floor quickly, you wouldn’t call him a freak athlete. He’d be depending on continued skill development to hit on a Lonzo Ball-ish upside.

Smith has only played 14 games this season, so some scouts are still catching up on him. He is quick and bouncy, but most of that athletic pop right now is channeled toward difficult pull-ups and floaters. Off the bounce, he’s mostly a one-move, one-direction player who rarely gets to the cup.

Smith shot just 41.7 percent on 2s this season. Optimistically listed at 6-5 with a thin frame, Smith also may be better off checking point guards on defense. Since he’s wired as a pure scorer and would likely play off the ball on offense, this cross-matching could limit his utility at the next level.

Council had a rough SEC tournament but led Arkansas in scoring. He’s an athletic shot creator who can beat defenders with his first step and rise for pull-ups but has a contorted shot release that sprays oddly spinning line drives. He’s only at 27.2 percent from 3 this season and 30.5 percent across three college seasons and would likely need to revamp his shot to succeed as a bench scorer in the pros.

The NIT
Hey, remember the NIT? You might be ignoring it, but the NBA’s scouts aren’t. It’s a great opportunity to do some final homework on a player who slipped through the cracks in-season, especially since these games are usually much more hospitable to scouts than the NCAAs.

As luck would have it, several draftable players will be competing this week like Villanova’s Cam Whitmore, UCF’s Taylor Hendricks, Michigan’s Jett Howard and Kobe Bufkin, Santa Clara’s Brandin Podziemski, Washington State’s Mouhamed Gueye, Cincinnati’s Landers Nolley, Oregon’s Kel’El Ware and Florida’s Kugel and Richard. Wednesday’s matchup between Florida and UCF could draw a lot of NBA eyeballs … certainly more than the First Four games in Dayton, Ohio.

Potential movers to watch

Some of the top prospects in this draft either aren’t playing in the NCAA Tournament or are such known quantities that their stock probably won’t move much either way. On the other hand, some players could have a lot riding on this event. In no particular order, here are a few that come to mind:

Jalen Hood-Schifino, 6-6 freshman PG, Indiana: A late riser who wasn’t thought of as a one-and-done for much of the season, Hood-Schifino has made an impression with his ability to get to midrange pull-ups and his size for a combo guard at 6-6. For somebody whose shooting was a question mark, it also hasn’t been all that bad — 34.7 percent from 3, albeit on low volume, and 77.6 percent from the line.

On the other hand, Hood-Schifino specializes in basketball’s least valuable shot, and the rest of his résumé isn’t that special. He’s a good on-ball defender, but his rather low rates of blocks and steals won’t impress analytics models, and he rarely draws fouls or gets to the rim.

At his best, he can look special, such as a 35-point outburst in an upset of Purdue. At his worst, he can barf up tough middies and shoot 1 of 6 or 1 of 8 or 1 of 9 or 1 of 14 … all of which he did this season.

Hood-Schifino closed the season on something of an uptick, with double figures in eight of his last nine games, but the last impression may matter more here than for some others.

Kobe Brown, 6-8 senior PF, Missouri: Brown had one of the most impressive games of the SEC tournament in a quarterfinal win over Tennessee, scoring 24 points against one of the nation’s best defenses, before Alabama’s stifling size cooled him off in the semis.

Brown has become an interesting player to watch for teams picking in the second round, with some obvious negative flags — he’s already 23, might measure shorter than his listed height and might not be a good defender in space. However, those are offset by genuine NBA-level skill as a shooter and passer and enough quick hops to sneak home dunks on unsuspecting bigs.

Dariq Whitehead, 6-7 freshman SF, Duke: Whitehead came into the season with lottery hype but struggled early and was injured in mid-December. That led to him falling down draft boards and brought some speculation that he might not be a one-and-done at all.

However, his play since returning on New Year’s Eve has caused scouts to circle back and re-evaluate. In particular, his shooting has been a revelation: Whitehead has taken more than half his shots from 3 in conference play and knocked down 46.7 percent of them. He was already regarded as a good athlete with prototype wing size at 6-7, and he won’t turn 19 until August. His other numbers are respectable for a freshman prospect. If he’s a knockdown shooter, the case for him in the top 15 becomes strong.

I’ll be in Orlando on Thursday to see Duke, who have four other freshmen who could impact their draft stock with a good tournament. (Forward Kyle Filipowski and center Dereck Lively II are viewed as mid-to-late first-rounders, while guard Tyrese Proctor and forward Mark Mitchell are probably more “next year” guys unless either blows up in the tournament). But Whitehead is the one I’ll be watching the closest.

Julian Strawther, 6-7 junior SF, Gonzaga: Everyone is looking for 3-and-D wings, and Strawther is a 6-7 wing who shot 42.6 percent from 3 this year. That’s his prima facie case for getting into the back end of the first round, but the scouting cycle for Gonzaga players may work against him.

The Zags tend to get big audiences for their early-season showdown games against non-conference powers, then everybody forgets about them for two months while they beat up Pepperdine and Pacific in WCC play. That was by far Strawther’s best stretch of the season, including a 40-point outburst against Portland.

Alas, he cooled off in the WCC tournament — right when the scouts showed up again — and his low rates of steals and assists will hurt him in analytic models. Thus, there’s a need for a standout tournament game or two to leave an impression. The good news is that, as a wing shooter, scouts are generally looking for reasons to rule him in rather than reasons to rule him out, so a hot tournament run could help Strawther as much as anybody.

Isaiah Wong, 6-3 junior SG, Miami (Fla.): Will we have an undrafted ACC Player of the Year for a third straight season? It seems unbelievable that a conference with bluebloods like Duke and North Carolina and academic heavyweight Virginia could be on such a streak, but Moses Wright and Alondes Williams weren’t selected either of the past two years, and Wong projects as a fringe draft selection despite winning those honors this season. (While we’re here: I thought Filipowski was the POY, but he only made second-team All-ACC, so what do I know?)

Wong’s calling card is the first-step quickness to get downhill. However, he plays more as a scorer and might be a bit undersized to play shooting guard at the NBA level. But he made some real progress as a distributor this season — he nearly doubled his assist rate! He also shot 37.8 percent from 3 and 83.6 percent from the line, a more respectable showing than his previous seasons. Is that enough to get him into the second round?

Maybe with a good tournament, but the deck might be stacked against Wong. Hurricanes big man Norchad Omier is likely to miss the opening round and should Miami survive against upset-minded Drake, a second-round meeting against Hood-Schifino’s Indiana team awaits.

Why Houston’s Jarace Walker could be March Madness’ breakout star

On the first Friday afternoon of March, Jarace Walker sets his phone on the table, smiles and extends a hand. He is fine. He is one of the best freshmen in the country and probably will be a millionaire by the end of the summer, so he should be fine. But Walker also played for the Houston basketball team the previous night, and at halftime of that game he had grabbed a total of two rebounds. It was not a lot of rebounds. Not for someone in this program. Particularly not for someone in this program who is 6-foot-8 and looks like he was built in a lab.

This was decidedly not fine. In fact, it put him in Kelvin Sampson’s blast radius. Asked to describe the tenor of the coaching directed at him during that break, Walker smiles again. “Expected,” he says. The specifics involve many bad words spoken loudly, but the gist is this: The Cougars have a manager named Eddie Lopez, whose nickname is “Speedy.” He is short. So Sampson used his prerogative to exaggerate and declared that Walker, at halftime, had the same amount of boards as Speedy.

Now look at you, the head coach said. Now look at Speedy. There’s a problem here, son.

Somewhere else, the tone is softer. Somewhere else, the paint doesn’t peel. Houston is not somewhere else. And Jarace Walker chose this. “I could’ve taken the easy route and went to a school where I took all the shots, did whatever I wanted, not get pushed,” he says, as teammates and staffers file by for a buffet lunch featuring burgers and wings. “I just feel like I play harder. You kind of have to, under a coach like Coach Sampson. He brought it out of me.”

If Houston reaches a Final Four held five miles from campus next month, the highest-rated recruit in program history may not be the reason why. It’s also possible he very much is. This is the portent of Jarace Walker. His actualized self is something like a basketball griffin, with the frame of a power forward and the hands of a wing and the head of a point guard. A problem, basically. His own thing.

The problem has to manifest, though, over six whole games. No vanishing acts, for any stretch. No nights that make the head coach invoke Speedy again. Walker is Houston’s most consequential variable in March, making him one of the most determinative players in the entire field. “He has the most potential of any kid on our team,” Sampson says. “But our best player is Marcus Sasser. Our most valuable player is Jamal Shead. Our X-factor is Jarace. Jarace represents our ceiling. You just don’t know when he’s going to get in the elevator and go to the floor he should be on. That’s what makes us a little scary.”

He means scary in a bad way here, which is maybe the default setting for 67-year-olds who have coached for three decades. But all contexts apply.

The measurables leave room for interpretation. Walker is Houston’s second-leading scorer (11.1 points per game) and rebounder (6.6 per game). He also has the third-best assist rate on the team (12.2 percent) and shoots 34.4 percent from 3-point range while, we remind you, looking like someone who regularly takes super soldier serum. His 1.02 points per possession overall, meanwhile, rate in the 63rd percentile nationally, per Synergy Sports. These are good numbers for a freshman logging a lot of minutes for a national title contender. They are not outrageous.

He also walked on the floor in October for a secret scrimmage against a talented, rugged Texas team and, according to the head coach, played well for the first time. He dropped 17 points, seven rebounds and four assists on Virginia in Charlottesville. He has, in lighter moments, when system fit isn’t the priority, hit fadeaways and pulled off between-the-leg dunks on fast breaks. “Any crazy thing that comes to mind,” says frontcourt mate and roommate J’Wan Roberts. It’s these nights and moments no one can let go of. There is Walker’s level, and there is the level-up, and it is intoxicating.

“He’s the most talented player to have played here since (Hakeem) Olajuwon,” Houston assistant coach Kellen Sampson says. “He’s certainly the best pro prospect since Olajuwon. That’s not a shot at anybody else. He’s the best pro prospect to come to this school since Olajuwon. That’s pretty good.”

Jarace Walker is ready for this, whatever this looks like. He grew up as the youngest of four siblings, and the other three were sisters – Jaden, Natichia and Sherelle – who were not unsure of themselves. Sherelle eventually played volleyball at UMBC. Jaden is finishing her senior season as a forward for St. Joseph’s. But the trio’s general success in doing life was outpaced only by their ability to force the baby of the family to do the life stuff they didn’t want to do. “I was getting bossed around all the time,” Jarace says now. Their chores often somehow became his chores. Clean the bathroom. Mop the floors. Put away their clothes. If little brother protested? They’d go to a parent and make something up to get Jarace in trouble. “So I kind of got over that,” he says. “‘OK, I got you. Clothes are done.’”

These are days that grow a kid up quick, when he sees what people will do to get what they want. It reframes the world. A 14-year-old version of that kid deciding it was best to leave home entirely is not the usual outcome, but neither was the choice staggering, all that considered. Walker was one of the best eighth-grade basketball players in the country. IMG Academy is an incubator for such players. This was, as Walker saw it then and sees it now, the bigger picture. “You gotta look at your dreams and aspirations,” he says. So off he went. No parents, no sisters. The only time to manage, and laundry to fold, was his.

Guys like Jaden Springer and Josh Green and Armando Bacot waited for him when he arrived. He stressed. He second-guessed. Then Walker got on the floor. All that stopped. He was getting beat up, and he was getting better. “He essentially turned pro at 14,” Kellen Sampson says. “He’s been on his own. He’s made decisions for himself. He’s had to process adversity and negativity and bad feedback. He had an unbelievable foundation to handle the moment.”

Handling Houston is different, mostly because it requires handling Kelvin Sampson, and Walker still was asking for it. He’d evolved into the consensus No. 8 prospect in the Class of 2022. He had options when the Houston coaching staff showed up for a home visit, with a tray of food set out and Walker’s college destination in the balance. Sampson, not shockingly, got to the point. They liked Jarace. Jarace liked them. What’s the next step? Horace Walker said he wanted his son to reach his potential, because he didn’t think Jarace had. The family wanted a coach that could make Jarace as good as he can be. The family wanted a coach who would have a relationship with their son but also be a spur dug into his side every day.

We got a chance, Kelvin Sampson thought as the Cougars staffers left Baltimore.

Walker’s commitment to Houston arrived on Nov. 4, 2021. Never a bigger coup in program history during the recruiting-service era. “I’m kind of used to the adversity and having my back against the wall and just pushing through it,” Walker says now, which, yes, sounds a little funny coming from one of the most gifted basketball players in the country at his age. But the general idea rings true enough. He usually chooses to learn to do hard things.

As usual, Houston put a bubble on top of the rim during summer workouts, guaranteeing misses on any shot. Winners in five-on-five sessions decided by who got to 10 boards first. Walker didn’t love it — his current head coach remembers watching a grassroots game in which Walker may not ever have made it inside the 3-point arc — but he understood it. “It’s just want-to,” Walker says. “If you want it, go and get it. If you don’t, somebody else is going to get it. It’s really that simple.”

On the other end, Walker started by repping in his beloved fadeaway turnarounds in workouts, only for Kellen Sampson to begin the process of elimination in June. We’re not practicing it, the Cougars assistant told Walker. It might be what you do or need at the next level. In Division I men’s college basketball? Get to the lane. Get to two feet. Get to a jump hook or a floater and shoot over the top of the defense. “Every once in a while he’ll get to that nonsense,” Kellen Sampson says. “He had one at Virginia that silenced them and he kind of winked and smiled. I wanted to throw my pen at him. But he has gotten to two feet 10 times as much as he’s gotten to that fallaway.”

There’s been zero pushback, according to the Houston coaches. Could be that’s what coaches say. But the teaching points mostly have translated to games. Walker is listening and absorbing. He has both a strong idea of who he is and what his place is.

Kellen Sampson coached Blake Griffin as a freshman at Oklahoma. Walker, in his estimation, has a maturity incomparable to Griffin’s lack thereof at that time. “Most people can’t handle accountability because they’re insecure,” Sampson says of Walker. “He’s not.” It is not uncommon – maybe even more common than not – for a Houston film session to be interrupted by Walker raising his hand like an elementary school student. He’s a “why” guy, as Kelvin Sampson puts it. Why do we trap a post player who isn’t a threat to score? Well, Jarace, we’re trying to force him to pass. Because he doesn’t do that well, maybe we’ll induce a turnover. “I’ve never, in 34 years as head coach, had a freshman that asked pertinent, meaningful, purposeful questions like Jarace does,” Kelvin Sampson says.

It’s curiosity. It’s also a savvy sense of self-preservation not all teenagers have. “If I don’t understand it, I’m not going to mess up and run for it,” Walker says. “I’d rather just ask the question then and there and learn. And pick (Sampson’s) brain, because he’s been around the game for a long time. If he says something, he’s usually right.”

Houston’s immersion program, for the most part, has worked. When it hasn’t, it can be reasonably attributed to Walker’s personality. He doesn’t impose. This is who he is. Roberts, his roommate, isn’t exactly filing noise complaints from the other side of the apartment. “Sometimes I don’t even know he’s in there when he’s in there,” Roberts says. When Walker didn’t make a bucket from the field and scored just two points against UCF on New Year’s Eve, the Houston coaches convened. The problem wasn’t entirely the player, they concluded; the issue was not forcing Jarace Walker to be Jarace Walker, whether he liked it or not. “He can become passive if you don’t direct the ball to him,” Kellen Sampson says. “That was his rock-bottom. We as a staff said, look, we have got to start directing the ball to Jarace more. He isn’t going to interject himself.”

This brings us to Houston’s inflection point for March: Walker doing things a future NBA Draft lottery pick does, only without anyone asking.

It’s the start of the second half of Senior Night on the first day of March, and Houston holds a tenuous two-point lead over Wichita State. The third straight sellout of the Fertitta Center – a new school record – and the Cougars look a little adrift. Walker’s energy level, in particular, has been barbecued by the coaching staff in the locker room.

On Houston’s first possession after the break, Shead misses a 3-pointer. Walker grabs the offensive board, kicks it out, and the ball moves around to an eventual bucket for Roberts. On Houston’s second trip, Tramon Mark misses a layup. Walker collects another offensive rebound. Mark misses a 3-pointer on the second-chance possession. Walker grabs that offensive board, too, and Shead winds up hitting a jumper.

For a few more minutes, Houston still can’t quite create a comfortable distance, and then Walker shuts things down. An assist to Emanuel Sharp for a 3-pointer. A drive right, and then a seeing-eye bounce pass through traffic in the lane to Roberts for a dunk. Houston up 12. A 6-8, 240-pound human reaching into a bag of tricks belonging to someone two-thirds his size and looking natural as he does it. “It’s just reading the game,” Walker says a day later, “and letting it talk to you.”

Sure, Walker’s reverse double-pump dunk later sets the building on fire. Rightfully so. The whole package is why he won’t be here next fall. But the moments to remember were much smaller and simultaneously much bigger than an acrobatic flush. “Now he sees the effect he has on this team, when he plays bad and when he plays good,” Roberts says the next day. “Whenever he plays bad, our team is not as good as we want it to be. When he’s on 10, that gets everybody on 10. And then we take off.”

If Walker doesn’t need the occasional dress-down as a reminder, it will be extremely helpful for Houston. Repeatability matters this time of year. Since Feb. 8, Walker has played 10 games. He has scored 10 or more points in five. He has rebounded above his average in six games and below it in four. He missed nine of 13 shots in an AAC conference tournament title game in which Sasser didn’t play. Walker is not Houston’s alpha – “If you ask him to be that,” Kelvin Sampson says, “you’re missing who he is” – but he is the delta.

That Senior Night second half was merely one of the most recent examples. Jarace Walker can change everything.

Everyone knows it. He climbs a ladder on the first night of March and snips off a piece of a net and twirls it around, celebrating the Cougars’ regular season league championship. When Walker returns to earth, he lingers by his teammates for a moment or two, smacking sophomore Ja’Vier Francis on the bum as Francis makes his way to the ladder, but after that he drifts to the fringes of the celebration on the floor. He mingles with family and friends to the side. He is nowhere near the center of attention, on purpose. He is happy to be here and happy to go unnoticed.

That doesn’t last long. A scrum of reporters approach for an interview, and Walker says he isn’t thinking about whether this is his final home game, that there’s too much basketball left to play. Then he bends over to get in pictures with two different kids. Then he indulges a young woman for a picture. Then a selfie with another fan, and then more TV cameras approach, and he talks about how Houston’s veterans have taught him the value of working even when you don’t feel like it, of giving maximum effort at all times. He says his team is playing at a high level, but there’s still more it can tap into during this month, innocently unaware that he’s a big part of the “more” in that scenario.

He’s asked about the satisfaction of winning the league championship, and for a moment, Houston’s star freshman betrays a bit of incredulousness. “I didn’t come here to lose,” Walker replies. “I came here to win.”

He chose this. He chose to get where he’s going the hard way. And this month, the world will see how well Jarace Walker learned the first thing anyone learns here: If you want it, go get it.

Probably smoke screen.

A team isn't passing on Scoot at #2. Unless DET decides to draft for fit instead of going BPA.

Nvm I'm not going Scoot if I'm DET. Trade down. Cant have my backcourt shoot 30% from 3.

NBA draft stat-based projections: The top prospects in the NCAA tournament, elsewhere

How do the top prospects in action during the NCAA tournament project statistically? As the college postseason begins in earnest, it's time for the annual first look at my projections for players in the upcoming NBA draft.

This year's crop of college prospects has been overshadowed with four of the top five in the top 100 prospects by ESPN's Jonathan Givony playing elsewhere: Victor Wembanyama in France's LNB Pro A league, Scoot Henderson in G League Ignite and twins Amen and Ausar Thompson in Overtime Elite.

Still, this looks like a relatively strong group of potential one-and-done prospects from a statistical standpoint. In particular, Alabama's Brandon Miller has played well enough to merit strong consideration at No. 2 behind Wembanyama.

My projections translate performance in NCAA Division I and other levels to an NBA equivalent then adjust for age and position to project value over a player's next five seasons. Lastly, I add in ranking in the top 100 for the best consensus projection.

Note that I do not have projections for the Thompson twins, currently ranked fourth (Amen) and fifth (Ausar), respectively, in the top 10.

1. Victor Wembanyama
Metropolitans 92 | C
Top 100: No. 1
Stats: No. 18
Consensus: 3.7 WARP
I wouldn't read anything into Wembanyama's stats-only ranking, which is the product of the deep group of college prospects this year. Among No. 1 picks since 2012, he'd rank fifth by the stats-only measure, behind Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns and Ben Simmons. Wembanyama projects as a dominant paint defender, as only Walker Kessler and Mitchell Robinson have had better block projections among drafted players in my database, which includes prospects as far back as 2003. Wembanyama's combination of that skill plus a high projected usage rate (22%, which might undersell things based on his higher-usage role this season as the most valuable player in the French Pro A league) is unprecedented. No player in my database has been projected for even a 5% block rate and 20% usage before Wembanyama.

2. Brandon Miller
Alabama | SF
Top 100: No. 3
Stats: No. 3
Consensus: 3.6 WARP
Givony wrote earlier this week that Miller's productive freshman season at Alabama has created the possibility he could usurp Scoot Henderson as the No. 2 pick. Miller already holds that spot in my projections as one of the best players in the college game. (He is No. 3 in Sports-Reference.com's box plus-minus, behind a pair of upperclassmen.) At 6-foot-9, Miller's skill set is NBA-ready. His 103 3-pointers (at a 40% clip) lead all players ranked in the top 100. He hasn't been quite as accurate inside the arc (51% on 2s), but that's really the only statistical shortcoming. Unfortunately, the more important questions about Miller entering the draft don't reflect his play but instead his level of involvement in the tragic death of Jamea Harris.

3. Cam Whitmore
Villanova | SF
Top 100: No. 7
Stats: No. 2
Consensus: 3.2 WARP
Although Whitmore's return wasn't enough to turn around a Villanova season that ended in the NIT, his production was solid. My model particularly seems to like Whitmore's combination of a high steal rate and accurate shooting inside the arc. No other player in this year's top 100 boasts a projected 2-point rate better than 52% (Whitmore is at 54%) and a projected steal rate of 2.0 per 100 or better. Just three draft picks have hit those marks since 2011: Mikal Bridges, Paul Reed and Zion Williamson.

4. Cason Wallace
Kentucky | G
Top 100: No. 13
Stats: No. 6
Consensus: 2.8 WARP
As a full-time starter, Wallace's offensive production (11.6 points per game and 4.2 assists per game) is modest for a lottery pick. He'll have to improve his shooting in the NBA, having hit 35% from beyond the arc. But Wallace's defensive potential is impressive. His projected 2.1 steals per 100 plays is best among prospects in the top 50 of Givony's rankings.

5. Gradey ****
Kansas | G/F
Top 100: No. 11
Stats: No. 13
Consensus: 2.6 WARP
Shooting is the primary appeal with ****, who hit 40% of his 3s while attempting nearly six per game as a freshman. He could increase that rate even more by developing a sidestep move instead of dribbling in for a pull-up 2 after up-faking a defender. For a strong shooter, ****'s game has few glaring weaknesses.

6. Taylor Hendricks
UCF | PF
Top 100: No. 12
Stats: No. 12
Hendricks -- the highest-rated recruit ever to commit to UCF -- was productive playing for longtime NBA player Johnny Dawkins. In the non-Wembanyama category, no prospect combines better floor spacing (Hendricks hit 40% of his 3s, attempting 4.6 per game) and shot-blocking potential (Hendricks' 6% block rate ranked second among college prospects in the top 30 of Givony's rankings).

7. Keyonte George
Baylor | SG
Top 100: No. 9
Stats: No. 16
George's ability to create shots for himself and others at a physical 6-foot-4 is intriguing. His 31% usage ranks second among freshmen who played at least 500 minutes, per Sports-Reference.com, and George adds a solid 2.8 assists per game. To excel in the NBA, he'll have to become more efficient as a scorer, having hit 35% of his 3s and just 43% inside the arc.

8. Brice Sensabaugh
Ohio State | SF
Top 100: No. 18
Stats: No. 11
Consensus: 2.4 WARP
The one freshman with a higher usage rate than George: Sensabaugh, responsible for a massive 34% of the Buckeyes' plays. Sensabaugh still scored efficiently thanks to 40.5% accuracy on 3s and 4.9 free throw attempts per game. The question is what else Sensabaugh will contribute in the NBA. He averaged just 1.2 assists and less than a combined steal and block per game.

9. Dereck Lively II
Duke | C
Top 100: No. 22
Stats: No. 9
Consensus: 2.3 WARP
Lively's 5.4 PPG would be the fourth-lowest average for a first-round pick in the past 15 years, ahead of Harry Giles III, Daniel Orton and Peyton Watson. In terms of advanced stats, Lively has been much more productive after a slow start. He shot 74% on 2s in conference play (mostly above-the-rim finishes), and his 8% projected block rate trails only Wembanyama among top-100 prospects.

10. Scoot Henderson
G League Ignite | PG
Top 100: No. 2
Stats: No. 60
After impressing with his development as a shooter in a pair of exhibitions against Wembanyama's Metropolitans 92 team in October, Henderson didn't play to that level against G League foes before his season was shut down on Monday. During the G League regular season, Henderson shot just 27% from 3-point range, and his 2-point accuracy slumped to 46.5% in 19 games. There's still much to like about Henderson's G League production. His projected assist rate (6.7 per 100 plays) is easily best among top-40 prospects. And Henderson is a strong defensive rebounder -- historically a positive indicator for guards. Physical playmakers have been the best bets to outperform their statistical projections. Still, Henderson's play suggests he shouldn't automatically be considered the second-best prospect after Wembanyama.

11. Jarace Walker
Houston | PF
Top 100: No. 6
Stats: No. 30
As a key starter for No. 1 seed Houston, Walker's game should be on full display this month. A strong shot-blocker for 6-foot-8 thanks to his leaping ability, Walker has rejected more than 5% of opponents' 2-point attempts and also boasts a good steal rate for a big man. His efficiency has lagged (.535 true shooting percentage) and will be the pivotal stat for Walker in the NBA.

12. Kyle Filipowski
2023 NBA Draft: Victor Wembanyama
Duke | F/C
Top 100: No. 14
Stats: No. 19
The more productive of Duke's two standout freshmen bigs, Filipowski has the most double-doubles (16) of any freshman, per Sports-Reference.com. His advanced stats aren't quite as effusive. Because Filipowski isn't yet an accurate 3-point shooter (30%), his efficiency (.541 true shooting) is middling. He also is a below-average shot-blocker for a college big. Still, Filipowski's strong free throw rate (77%) suggests he should eventually develop 3-point range in the NBA.

13. Nick Smith Jr.
Arkansas | G
Top 100: No. 8
Stats: No. 23
It's been an uneven season for Smith, who missed two extended periods and had to fit back into a talent-laden Arkansas team that earned an 8-seed after staggering midseason. Smith has made just 42% of his 2-point attempts, fourth lowest among top 100 prospects. Smith was much more productive in the 2021 Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) AAU competition, also included in these projections, ranking third among current top-100 prospects in wins above replacement player that year.

14. Brandin Podziemski
Santa Clara | G/F
Top 100: No. 39
Stats: No. 4
Consensus: 2.2 WARP
Givony recently highlighted Podziemski's rise up draft boards, fueled in part by his strong statistical projections. Podziemski ranks 11th in box plus-minus, second behind Miller among underclassmen, because he has filled up the box score this season with 8.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.8 steals per game to go with his 19.9 PPG on 44% 3-point shooting.

15. Dariq Whitehead
Duke | SF
Top 100: No. 29
Stats: No. 10
Whitehead's stats-only projection owes largely to his strong EYBL play. Coming off a foot fracture in August team workouts that required surgery, Whitehead has hit just 40% of his 2-point attempts as a freshman. Whitehead has been more accurate beyond the arc (41%) and has made an impressive 88.5% of his limited free throw attempts.

16. Anthony Black
Arkansas | SG
Top 100: No. 10
Stats: No. 24
Arkansas' lead ball handler at 6-foot-7, Black has the potential to fit well with teams that like size in the backcourt for defensive versatility. As is often the case with players of that ilk, shooting is the question mark for Black. He has hit 31% of his 3s on limited attempts (2.6 per game) and has shot a middling 70% at the foul line.

17. Jett Howard
Michigan | SG
Top 100: No. 16
Stats: No. 20
Consensus: 2.1 WARP
Playing for his dad, longtime NBA standout Juwan Howard, Jett has averaged 14.2 PPG as a freshman with solid production across the board. Howard's 7.3 3-point attempts per game are sixth most among players in the top 100, suggesting his 37% accuracy has come on unusually difficult attempts.

18. Donovan Clingan
UConn | C
Top 100: NR
Stats: No. 1
A name to remember for down the road, Clingan was in Givony's 2024 mock draft; but he doesn't yet appear in the top 100, having averaged just 13.2 minutes per game playing behind veteran center Adama Sanogo on a loaded UConn team. In that time, Clingan was remarkably productive, averaging 22.1 points, 17.7 rebounds and a whopping 5.6 blocks per 40 minutes for the nation's fourth-best player efficiency rating (PER), according to Sports-Reference.com. We'll likely learn more about Clingan as he moves into a larger role down the line.

19. Zach Edey
Purdue | C
Top 100: No. 48
Stats: No. 5
The nation's leader in PER? Edey, the most productive player in college basketball, with 22.3 points, 12.8 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game. How well the 7-foot-4 Edey's game will translate to the NBA, where his post-up game won't likely be quite as effective and teams will attack him in pick-and-roll, remains to be seen. At the very least, there should be a situational role for Edey off the bench, like Boban Marjanovic played in his prime.

20. Will Richard
Florida | SG
Top 100: NR
Stats: No. 7
Consensus: 1.9 WARP
Having transferred from Belmont to play for new Florida coach Todd Golden as a sophomore, Richard improved his efficiency in the SEC, making 40% of his 3-point attempts and 62% of his 2s for an impressive .647 true shooting percentage as a perimeter player. Richard also has racked up steals and blocks at a high rate, a good indicator for pro success.

21. Baylor Scheierman
Creighton | SG
Top 100: No. 40
Stats: No. 14
Consensus: 1.9 WARP
Another transfer, Scheierman has shown his dominance in the Summit League with South Dakota State could translate against better competition. Scheierman has seen his 3-point rate slip from 47% in 2021-22 to 36%, and he plays a lower-usage role on a deep Creighton team, but he remains a valuable contributor. As long as Scheierman proves capable of defending NBA athletes, there's a role for him in the league.

22. Terrance Arceneaux
Houston | SF
Top 100: No. 67
Stats: No. 8
Consensus: 1.8 WARP
Another long-term play, Arceneaux rated as one of the most valuable players in the 2021 EYBL, but he has seen limited opportunities on a veteran-laden Houston team. He made his first career start in the American Athletic Conference title game. Arceneaux's steal and block rates have been impressive in limited run, though he'll have to improve on 26% 3-point shooting thus far.

23. Noah Clowney
Alabama | F/C
Top 100: No. 19
Stats: No. 28
Consensus: 1.7 WARP
The second full-time freshman starter on the top-seeded Crimson Tide, Clowney has NBA-ready physical skills. Taking advantage of Alabama's strong floor spacing, he has made 68% of his 2-point attempts. Although he has played primarily at power forward in the NCAA, Clowney might spend more time at center in the NBA until he develops as a floor spacer, having hit just 28% beyond the arc.

24. Leonard Miller
G League Ignite | F
Top 100: No. 24
Stats: No. 27
Consensus: 1.7 WARP

Get your favorite live sports, stories and originals with ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu. Upgrade to a Disney Bundle plan and start streaming something for everyone today!
It was Miller, not Henderson, who led Ignite draft prospects in scoring during the regular season with 17.8 PPG, to go along with 10.9 RPG. Miller also needs work on his shot, having hit less than a 3 per game at 29.5% accuracy across Showcase Cup and regular-season play. But his willingness to do the dirty work and his shot-creation make Miller a deserving first-round pick.

25. Colby Jones
Xavier | SG
Top 100: 28
Stats: No. 25
Consensus: 1.6 WARP
In his third season, Jones has developed into a 38% 3-point shooter, to go along with a high percentage for a guard inside the arc (58%) and 4.3 assists per game. The one concern is that Jones' free throw shooting (67%) hasn't shown the same improvement.

26. Jordan Hawkins
UConn | SG
Top 100: No. 20
Stats: No. 33
Consensus: 1.5 WARP
Hawkins has perhaps the purest shot in this year's draft, having made 37% of his attempts beyond the arc while attempting 7.6 per game thus far. Hawkins is even better at the line (88%), although his accuracy on 2s (43% over two seasons at UConn) is a little disappointing.

27. Josiah-Jordan James
Tennessee | F/G
Top 100: No. 73
Stats: No. 17
Consensus: 1.5 WARP
Considered a potential one-and-done prospect back in 2019-20, James has instead played four years for Tennessee, dealing with injuries at times. His defensive playmaking is particularly intriguing. James is the only prospect in this year's draft projected for at least two steals per 100 plays and to block 2% of opponent 2-point attempts. Just eight draft picks have reached those marks since 2011, a group highlighted by defensive standouts O.G. Anunoby and Matisse Thybulle.

28. Kel'el Ware
Oregon | C
Top 100: 34
Stats: No. 29
Consensus: 1.4 WARP
Playing behind veteran center N'Faly Dante, Ware has averaged just 15.7 MPG, causing him to drop in the top 100. In that span, Ware has been an impressive shot-blocker, swatting 9% of opponent 2-point attempts. But his 53% 2-point shooting is disappointing for a physical 7-footer.

29. Marcus Sasser
Houston | G
Top 100: No. 35
Stats: No. 32
Consensus: 1.3 WARP
The best player on one of the nation's top teams, Sasser has developed into a dangerous 3-point shooter (40% over the past two seasons on 7.4 attempts per game in that span) as well as a capable playmaker and ball hawking defender. Sasser's ability to return from a groin injury suffered in the American tournament will be a key storyline this month.

30. Terquavion Smith
North Carolina State | PG
Top 100: No. 32
Stats: No. 34
Consensus: 1.3 WARP
After withdrawing from the NBA draft last spring, Smith hasn't enjoyed the kind of a sophomore bounce he might have anticipated. On the plus side, Smith has shown more playmaking ability, doubling his assist average to 4.2 per game. But his accuracy dropped both inside and outside the arc, leaving him with a .494 true shooting percentage that is fifth worst among players in the top 100.

I've sporadically watched Arkansas all season and every time Ricky Council jumps off the screen more than Nick Smith Jr.

Lively would be perfect with the clippers pick if he’s still there

Lively would be perfect with the clippers pick if he’s still there

He'll be long gone before #30

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 9.35.19 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom