2025 NBA Draft Thread

But we're talking about Brandon Miller as a NCAA player right now in March of 2023 right? He's the highest profile player in the "most watched sporting event" and the guy Givony thinks may go #2 over Scoot. Based on your argument...he should be more of a household name and in line for bigger endorsement than Scoot Henderson.

Or are you going to tell me it would have happened if not for the murder?

No Scoot was a more hyped recruit than Brandon Miller, Scoot also has a much more endorsement friendly game as a guard.

The question isn't Scoot vs. Brandon as they are in pretty different situations.

G League has a high floor, college has the higher ceiling.
me personally if I'm a super elite prospect id gamble on the higher ceiling.

He signed the deal last summer....after his first season as a G-League player :lol:

Puma handed 7 figures to the G-League guy that wasnt draft eligible and wasn't known to outside basketball experts.

Puma is making a bet and buying imo low.

Ultimatley what you're arguing is being on national tv every week doesn't matter, being in one of the most watch TV events in the country...doesn't matter. seems implausible to me.

if you wanna say you're more risk averse and you'd take the upfront money, that's fine.
but college has pretty obvious benefits, and the downside risk has been reduced with NIL.

Are we talking about on court development or national recognition prior to being drafted?

I don’t think it matters really. A majority of the development is due to what team drafts you.

Zion Williamson's social media following doubled while playing at Duke.

1678808481677.png

even a dude with an already massive social media following, saw pretty large benefits from playing for Duke.

Hard to think Scoot wouldn't have also benefited.

Are we talking about on court development or national recognition prior to being drafted?

I don’t think it matters really. A majority of the development is due to what team drafts you.

More so what’s driving you to get better. Teams ain’t sprinkling fairy dust on you if you ain’t got it.

It’s a whole lotta assumptions in the “scoot woulda been better off in college” argument :lol:

well sure, some amount of speculation.
but we know for sure he hasn't gotten significant development gains from being on Ignite.

Givony said on the pod teams specifically are disappointed with his lack of development.

The advantage of Ignite is more money up front, more certainty. Ill agree with that.

but Scoot against worse competition on national tv, I don't think it's a stretch to think he'd be a more well known figure if he's on national tv every week dunking on hapless mid major cannon fodder.

No Scoot was a more hyped recruit than Brandon Miller, Scoot also has a much more endorsement friendly game as a guard.

The question isn't Scoot vs. Brandon as they are in pretty different situations.

G League has a high floor, college has the higher ceiling.
me personally if I'm a super elite prospect id gamble on the higher ceiling.

You're exaggerating or misremembering the level of "hype" Scoot had while he was a HS junior. Brandon MIller was ranked AHEAD of him at the time he left to go to the G-League. Scoot never held a #1 ranking on any service before he bounced. He largely vaulted to "lock for #2" status during his first G-league season.

The question isn't Scoot vs. Brandon...but the question is NCAA vs G-League in relation to how each affects a prospects on-court development and advertising value right? Seems like the two perfect case studies to have this discussion.

You've asserted that the NCAA is better for the elite prospect for both. So based on YOUR LOGIC....as the highest profile player in all of college basketball...is Brandon Miller more developed for the NBA and in a better position to earn?

You're exaggerating or misremembering the level of "hype" Scoot had while he was a HS junior. Brandon MIller was ranked AHEAD of him at the time he left to go to the G-League. Scoot never held a #1 ranking on any service before he bounced. He largely vaulted to "lock for #2" during his first G-league season.

On ESPN Scoot was the 7th ranked prospect when he signed with G League ignite.

1678811014564.png

that first G-League season he was 17, if he's in high school playing against worse comp he would have overtaken Brandon Miller as a recruit and would almost certainly be the top guy.

Miller was relatively up and down as a elite high school prospect. peaking at 6th I believe ending at 9th.

So by the time you get to Scoot draft eligible year, he's considered a way better prospect than Miller.

The question isn't Scoot vs. Brandon...but the question is NCAA vs G-League in relation to how each affects a prospects on-court development and advertising value right? Seems like the two perfect case studies to have this discussion.

You've asserted that the NCAA is better for the elite prospect for both. So based on YOUR LOGIC....as the highest profile player in all of college basketball...is Brandon Miller more developed for the NBA and in a better position to earn?

well even if we compare these two it doesn't seem that great for Gleague ignite.

- Pre this year, Scoot was considered a lock at two, according to Givony it's wide open now.

- Brandon Miller has improved his standing as a prospect and shown some development
Scoot is being criticized for his lack of development.

- Scoot social media following is higher, but he started from a higher base (20k vs 6k) and was around 80k until the viral Wembanayma game.

the wembanayama game is a black swan event that the Gleauge can't count on and Miller still has March Madness.

Scoot has a more marketable game, can you imagine what it would be if he was killing people on national TV every week?

imo the main value of Gleague was supposed to be development and money.
if guys aren't developing any faster, and with NIL the difference in money up front is less.

What makes G league so attractive?

that first G-League season he was 17, if he's in high school playing against worse comp he would have overtaken Brandon Miller as a recruit and would almost certainly be the top guy.

Miller was relatively up and down as a elite high school prospect. peaking at 6th I believe ending at 9th.

So by the time you get to Scoot draft eligible year, he's considered a way better prospect than Miller.
There’s so many assumptions that you’re making in this to try and reframe your original point :lol:. And you’re making them as fact

Is Brandon Miller going to be a bigger star than Scoot based off of this year? Seems doubtful. The CBB star seems a bit outdated anyways. I don’t think it really helped Paolo or Jabari Smith much so far.

apples vs oranges. Scoot has a way more marketable game than Miller, and had more of a following than Miller pre college.

Again for this to be true it necessarily means that being on national tv is worthless,
being on one of the biggest TV events of the year is worthless.

I disagree I think it's worth a lot.

Zion doubled his social media following at Duke.
I think it's reasonable to think that Scoot playing against worse comp in front of bigger audiences would be a bigger star.

Same goes for Paolo and Smith.

There’s so many assumptions that you’re making in this to try and reframe your original point :lol:. And you’re making them as fact

why are my assumptions are unreasonable? they seem pretty obvious.

Assumption 1
Scoot would play better against worse competition.

Assumption 2.
If Scoot was the #2 NBA draft prospect after a year of g league (behind a generational prospect).

He would be the #1 college prospect playing against worse competition in high school.

Seems like a pretty reasonable inference to make.

Zion would have doubled his following at ANY school - if he went to Wofford even - not sure he’s the best example 😂

maybe, but I don't think he does it playing anonymous G-League ignite games.

again for this to be true it means. being on national TV means nothing,
Duke giant fanbase constantly posting about you means nothing,
being in one of the biggest tv events of the year means nothing.

then why do people buy national tv ads, why do people sponsor March Madness?
Why do these companies with tons to lose pay so much money to be featured in these events.
if being associated with these events don't have significant value marketing wise?

apples vs oranges. Scoot has a way more marketable game than Miller, and had more of a following than Miller pre college.

Again for this to be true it necessarily means that being on national tv is worthless,
being on one of the biggest TV events of the year is worthless.

I disagree I think it's worth a lot.

Zion doubled his social media following at Duke.
I think it's reasonable to think that Scoot playing against worse comp in front of bigger audiences would be a bigger star.

Same goes for Paolo and Smith.
No one is saying that being on TV is worthless. You’re trying to pin people down to that position — we’re all saying that the value in this era isn’t close to what it used to be. These dudes are playing in school for 5 months, and most of them have social media presences before going to college. The value isn’t the same anymore. Scoot’s deal pre-college proves that.

Zion doubled his following because he was a generational college player on a top team, with a legendary coach. Would be curious to see what numbers are for other guys versus this one distinct situation.

No one is saying that being on TV is worthless. You’re trying to pin people down to that position — we’re all saying that the value in this era isn’t close to what it used to be. These dudes are playing in school for 5 months, and most of them have social media presences before going to college. The value isn’t the same anymore. Scoot’s deal pre-college proves that.

Zion doubled his following because he was a generational college player on a top team, with a legendary coach. Would be curious to see what numbers are for other guys versus this one distinct situation.

okay well I think you guys are underrating it.

I worked in social media marketing.
Social media marketing is great, but there's a reason it's cheaper. (partly because of targeting)

Traditional TV still has a ton of power especially live sports and big events like March Madness that can drive social media engagement.

having in built in college fanbases more likely to engage with your content + tv exposure + march madness,

are going to generate engagement and name id in a way that G-League ignite can't

If Zion was dunking everything in the G league, it would have been everywhere. He’s really like that

again, so then it doesn't matter. millions of fans, massive TV ratings, big live events with tons of people watching, none of it matters.

it's all equivalent to youtube clips dunking against anonymous g leaguers.

imo I find that pretty unlikely.

again, so then it doesn't matter. millions of fans, massive TV ratings, big live events with tons of people watching, none of it matters.

it's all equivalent to youtube clips dunking against anonymous g leaguers.

imo I find that pretty unlikely.
He was dunking on random dudes that went to g tech and nc state. The same random dudes go to the g league.

He’s like the worst example ever.

even when Zion got hurt at Duke,

there's months of conversation about it, on TV and social media will come back for duke, will he make it back to play in the tournament.

Scoot gets hurt in G-League...not a peep.

Back
Top Bottom