24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Wait both Sapphire cards are metal?

I'm pretty sure they don't offer the non preferred version anymore.

Has anyone opened up a card with marriott to take advantage of there bonus 80k points?

I'm thinking about it but I wish the free night you get every year was more useful.

Chase Sapphire is a good choice. The card is metal, too.

My recommendation is to NOT get cash-back card.  It's a waste of time.  The best cards accrue miles/points that you can transfer to other frequent flyer programs and buy plane tickets.  THE BEST VALUE of a credit card is to rack up miles and use them for international premium travel ONLY.  So business/first class for essentially nothing (depending on fuel surcharges, etc.).  I am not saying don't do cash-back (and by all means do it if that's your goal), but the BEST VALUE on your rewards is for ONLY international premium travel and Hotel Stays.

I have Chase Sapphire (40k sign up bonus; 2x on dining and travel) and Chase Ink (50k sign up bonus; 2x points on gas; 5x points on cable/satellite bill, internet, office supply stores [buy gift cards (Nike, Nordstrom, Whole Foods) from staples and office depot and rack up 5x the points instead of 1x]).  Between those two cards I have amassed 160k points in under a year.  So just by doing my normal shopping I have enough for 1 r/t ticket on Singapore Suites Class from LA to Tokyo (probably a $25k-$30k value) or 2 r/t business class seats to Europe ($6-10k value). 

I also have the American Airlines Aviator Mastercard (50k sign up bonus) and the AMEX Gold Card (50k sign up bonus with 2x points on supermarkets, dining and gas).

Almost every dollar I spend I get 2 points for (I mainly spend money at supermarkets, gas and dining).

Thus, maximize the VALUE you can get from these cards. Not necessarily cash back and statement credits. 

What are you using for your non bonus purchases ? I have the Citi Prestige,CSP, and Amex SPG. I'm really considering replacing the Amex SPG with the Amex Everday preferred.

Lol you trying to get rid of that AMEX too @Dam itz Lou  ?
laugh.gif

Don't know why I signed up for it and really am trying to figure out which AMEX card would be beneficial for me.

Just got my bonus 40,000 points from my capital 1 venture card
I'm a continue to stack
Tryna take a trip to Europe and Japan next year

Lol you trying to get rid of that AMEX too @Dam itz Lou
 ?:lol:  

Don't know why I signed up for it and really am trying to figure out which AMEX card would be beneficial for me.

Yeah, I'm about to hit 40k and then im going to transfer them to AA most likely. It's too much of a pain to earn points. I wasn't a fan of the new changes, especially raising the annual fee to $95. I go on 4-5 vacations a year and I'm always going to use the 4th night free perk with the prestige so I can't use the SPG to earn double or triple points when I stay at their hotels.

4.5 pts for groceries,3 pts for gas, and 1.5 for non bonus purchases assuming you make 30 purchases a month with the everyday preferred is really appealing.

so glad to have just broken the 800 mark 
pimp.gif

anyone have experience using green dot moneypaks to meet minimum spends for introductory CC promos? Or just regularly purchasing them to accumulate points? any reason not to do so? any risks?

What are you using for your non bonus purchases ? I have the Citi Prestige,CSP, and Amex SPG. I'm really considering replacing the Amex SPG with the Amex Everday preferred.

I just spread it around depending on if I need a minimum spend requirement. Otherwise just depends on what mileage account I want to put it towards. I like SPG because they're a valuable currency. Id probably stick with that. I'd only sign up for a card now that gets me at least 40k points.

Edit. After reading more of your preferences, I would do the Amex everyday, too.

Last edited:
What's the best credit card to apply for, when first starting out? I don't want to get an inquiry and get denied... (I.e 650 score, never had a credit card)
Chase Sapphire is a good choice. The card is metal, too.

My recommendation is to NOT get cash-back card.  It's a waste of time.  The best cards accrue miles/points that you can transfer to other frequent flyer programs and buy plane tickets.  THE BEST VALUE of a credit card is to rack up miles and use them for international premium travel ONLY.  So business/first class for essentially nothing (depending on fuel surcharges, etc.).  I am not saying don't do cash-back (and by all means do it if that's your goal), but the BEST VALUE on your rewards is for ONLY international premium travel and Hotel Stays.

I have Chase Sapphire (40k sign up bonus; 2x on dining and travel) and Chase Ink (50k sign up bonus; 2x points on gas; 5x points on cable/satellite bill, internet, office supply stores [buy gift cards (Nike, Nordstrom, Whole Foods) from staples and office depot and rack up 5x the points instead of 1x]).  Between those two cards I have amassed 160k points in under a year.  So just by doing my normal shopping I have enough for 1 r/t ticket on Singapore Suites Class from LA to Tokyo (probably a $25k-$30k value) or 2 r/t business class seats to Europe ($6-10k value). 

I also have the American Airlines Aviator Mastercard (50k sign up bonus) and the AMEX Gold Card (50k sign up bonus with 2x points on supermarkets, dining and gas).

Almost every dollar I spend I get 2 points for (I mainly spend money at supermarkets, gas and dining).

Thus, maximize the VALUE you can get from these cards. Not necessarily cash back and statement credits. 

How is a plane ticket cost 25k?

What's the best credit card to apply for, when first starting out? I don't want to get an inquiry and get denied... (I.e 650 score, never had a credit card)
Everyone's circumstances are different and that dictates what card they want or should get. For me, I'm a savvy shopper and like to buy off value (I find cheap airline tickets), so getting rewards points/miles and paying face value isn't worth it for me and I would rather get $. It works especially well if you know what you're doing and understand all the benefits with the cards you're interested in. For ex. my cousin has a BoA rewards card that gives 3% gas 2% groceries 1% everything else, but he also is preferred rewards client since he banks with BoA and meets the requirement and they give him 75% more cash back. His cash back jumps to 5.25% on gas, 3.5% groceries, and 1.75% which is pretty awesome.

Assuming you have no credit history (no student loans, auto loans,etc.), the next thing you have to consider is your income. I personally love the Discover IT card and they aren't too crazy about the income, all you need is like $4-5k +annual and you should get approved, but obviously your limit will be low. I hear Capital One is also very easy. There's also student cards that have an easier approval process/lower limit/higher APR. If you're looking to play it really safe, you could look into becoming an authorized user on someone elses credit card or you could try to apply for a secured credit card (basically a debit card) and they're usually very lenient with the application process with those. I had no credit, applied for a Discover IT card with a very low income (only worked summers) as a full time student and got it.

Best place for anything involving credit, credit cards, loans, mortgages,etc: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/

You might want to ask people there.

Last edited:
thekid973 thekid973

I got a store credit card (macys) first and then after 6 months got a BoA card followed by a chase card.

I think store cards are easier to get and if u show u use your credit resposibly the banks will be more willing to accept you.

I Dont think there is a best card or best way to spend points because everyone has different needs and taste.

Store cards don't help you get real cards, unless its a visa/mastercard. 

That suite is insane. How long did it take him to rack up points like that? IMO the only way to really flourish off of those air miles is if you are constantly opening and closing cards or credit card churning. I am not interested in either of those practices. I prefer cash back it is just easier to manage. I have been thinking about getting the Southwest card, but I really don't think it is worth it.

@Dam itz Lou  oh I thought you had the Premier Gold Rewards card $95 is still a lot. I just paid that $175 annual fee and it made me realize how bad of a decision it was lol. Great perks but not worth that fee.

@jjoaquin  you are talking about credit churning you can google it and find out more info. Some people have entire spreadsheets to keep track of their churning 
sick.gif

Im just sharing what worked for me.

I applied for a chase freedom at 22 with zero credit history and got denied because of the fact that i didn't have any history.

My next move was the store card then the BoA and chase. It worked for me so it is worth a shot.

I know you are sharing what worked for you, but I am letting him know that they don't help you in the long run.

His best bet is to get a secured card ($250-$500 limit) and use it for a year then go for real cards.

That suite is insane. How long did it take him to rack up points like that? IMO the only way to really flourish off of those air miles is if you are constantly opening and closing cards or credit card churning. I am not interested in either of those practices. I prefer cash back it is just easier to manage. I have been thinking about getting the Southwest card, but I really don't think it is worth it.

@Dam itz Lou
 oh I thought you had the Premier Gold Rewards card $95 is still a lot. I just paid that $175 annual fee and it made me realize how bad of a decision it was lol. Great perks but not worth that fee.

@jjoaquin
 you are talking about credit churning you can google it and find out more info. Some people have entire spreadsheets to keep track of their churning :x

I just upgraded to the Platinum because they offered me 50k. I'm definitely downgrading back to the PRG in Jan but I might just cancel altogether. Have you used the $100 airline credit ? I think if you were to cancel they would give you the fee back since it sounds like it was pretty recent. I tried cancelling two years ago and they credited the fee back to me after $3k spend.

I did the store card thing first with macys and then got a chase quicksilver card then Amex blue cash everyday

I just upgraded to the Platinum because they offered me 50k. I'm definitely downgrading back to the PRG in Jan but I might just cancel altogether. Have you used the $100 airline credit ? I think if you were to cancel they would give you the fee back since it sounds like it was pretty recent. I tried cancelling two years ago and they credited the fee back to me after $3k spend.
Whats the $100 airline credit ? They upgraded you to platinum with no annual fee for the first year? I will try that next July, but I will be cancelling after.

Whats the $100 airline credit ? They upgraded you to platinum with no annual fee for the first year? I will try that next July, but I will be cancelling after.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/usi...wards-gold-airline-fee-credit-for-gift-cards/

It's a benefit they added this year. The credit is every calendar year so you can do it now until December and again in January. You have to sign your card up with one of their partner airlines first but some airlines don't offer gift cards if you decide to go that route. They aren't suppose to give you the credit back for gift cards but they do. I did AA since they never expire. So instead of using it for bags, you can you use it towards airfare.

I wish they waived the fee for the Platinum but I was talking about when I had the PRG. I called to cancel and they made me two different offers to basically cover the annual fee.

Last edited:
That suite looks like the biggest waste of money/points, ever. The accommodations are cool and service sounds legendary, but the food looks like ritzy, old rich white people status. And when he said he slept what was worth $6,000 of the flight away, I almost fell over.

No thanks.

That site, as popular as it is, definitely has a learning curve on it. First 10 times I went there I got so confused. I still don't know the inner depths to the site, but it gets more manageable the more you visit.

The have sub reddits for every niche out there which is cool. Caters to a wide array of interests.

Back
Top Bottom