24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

What I been doing is instead of using my debit I use my credit for anything and pay it every month on time in full

Also dont use it if you dont have the money

This 100%.

All that matters Is establishing a record that whatever you owe, you always pay on time. As long as you never miss a payment, your credit will be perfect.

Just got bumped on USAA for both my Amex ($6300) and MasterCard ($3900) to $11k on each. I had never asked for a increase they would just increase them every now and then by like $1-2k and I was cool with that since it didn't count as a pull. I don't know if anyone can answer this but since they're both with USAA does that count as one pull? Just wanted an increase so my ratio could be better.

Just got bumped on USAA for both my Amex ($6300) and MasterCard ($3900) to $11k on each. I had never asked for a increase they would just increase them every now and then by like $1-2k and I was cool with that since it didn't count as a pull. I don't know if anyone can answer this but since they're both with USAA does that count as one pull? Just wanted an increase so my ratio could be better.
I'm confused what is the question? Who is with USAA? If you ask for a CLI and they are both hard pulls it will be 2 separate inquiries. 

I have the cards through USAA. Just wondering if that matters or will it still be two separate pulls? Since they pulled the credit for one card can't they just use that for the other too? Idk if that's possible.

They were my first card so I had their entry leveil credit of 300 limit and till this day they only increased me to 500. Only reason I haven't cancelled the card because I heard it impacts your credit score. But I don't use it. While I have Amex and Chase with credit limits of 10K
As long as you close the account(Not the company), it does not affect your score. Closed my Barclays a few months ago and before I did so I raised my Amex limit. Score still went up.

Last edited:
They were my first card so I had their entry leveil credit of 300 limit and till this day they only increased me to 500. Only reason I haven't cancelled the card because I heard it impacts your credit score. But I don't use it. While I have Amex and Chase with credit limits of 10K
As long as you close the account(Not the company), it does not affect your score. Closed my Barclays a few months ago and before I did so I raised my Amex limit. Score still went up.

Yeah I'm a little iffy with capital one....I'm with usaa currently coming up on 1yr wonder if they'll increase me...

I have the cards through USAA. Just wondering if that matters or will it still be two separate pulls? Since they pulled the credit for one card can't they just use that for the other too? Idk if that's possible.
Oh okay I see you have 2 cards through USAA one is an AMEX the other is a MasterCard. I would call and ask them how they would handle the inquiries.

I would assume that since they only did one pull for both cards it might be the same for the CLI.

Last edited:
Speaking of Amex, It looks like they're going to start to crack down on getting multiple sign up bonuses from the same card. There's a sign up link out there for the Amex PRG for 50K for only 1K spend but it's only available to people who've never had the card before. I upgraded to the card a long time ago and never received any kind of bonus so that was a bummer since I recently upgraded to the platinum.

I bought a fridge from sears today. Discover is having 10% cash back for Sears online and 5% this quarter for department stores. Tack on the double cash back bonus for the year and they are almost giving me 30% cash back on a already discounted fridge.

View media item 1678359

NT I need some encouragement right about now :smh: :lol:
So I just realized today that I have a little over 8k in CC debt... I Been going swipe crazy lately, and I've had emergencies that popped up back to back to back within the past 3 months that caused me to go crazy with spending. I feel like I'm never gonna get this paid off.

If I didn't have to pay student loans Id be good :smh: :lol: :smh:

So I just realized today that I have a little over 8k in CC debt... I Been going swipe crazy lately, and I've had emergencies that popped up back to back to back within the past 3 months that caused me to go crazy with spending. I feel like I'm never gonna get this paid off.

If you think its going to take you a while to pay off, the chase slate card is offering 15 months of no interest and no balance transfer fee for 2 months.

@FlyNY

This is why having an emergency saving account is vital. $8K is a lot but still managable. Depending on your finances, you should double or triple your payments monthly.

FYI:

Unless you're paying off your CC balance monthly, which I highly advise, those cash back services doesn't work in your favor.

I bought a fridge from sears today. Discover is having 10% cash back for Sears online and 5% this quarter for department stores. Tack on the double cash back bonus for the year and they are almost giving me 30% cash back on a already discounted fridge.

View media item 1678359

The 5% caps out at $75, but it's still great. I used the 10% sears cash back with the 5% cash back bonus to buy a washer and dryer set I should be getting almost $300 cash back. Where do you go to see your pending cash back?

After I purchased using their link I didn't get any screen like that.

Last edited:
The 5% caps out at $75, but it's still great. I used the 10% sears cash back with the 5% cash back bonus to buy a washer and dryer set I should be getting almost $300 cash back. Where do you go to see your pending cash back?

After I purchased using their link I didn't get any screen like that.

You should get an email within a week.

@FlyNY

This is why having an emergency saving account is vital. $8K is a lot but still managable. Depending on your finances, you should double or triple your payments monthly.

FYI:

Unless you're paying off your CC balance monthly, which I highly advise, those cash back services doesn't work in your favor.

100% agree with you. I pay off all my cards every month.

Nah I didn't get an email. I purchased on 8/06 , but I just talked to the chat person and they said I am good to go I got the 10% sears CB and 5% category CB .

You should get it in the next 1 or 2 billing cycles.

100% agree with you. I pay off all my cards every month.
You should get it in the next 1 or 2 billing cycles.
Thanks man. I am trying to finesse 10% cashback on some Macbooks and MBPs. I know we have the 5% CB at apple.com I'm gonna check to see if Kmart sells apple laptops.

Edit: And they don't 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
How much is yalls minimum on your AMEX cards?.. considering getting one but I have Capitol One and their minimum on both of my cards is at $25.

While I can afford to pay double on those right now, maybe a little more here and there, what are the minimums on the AMEX Every Day cards looking like? Anything different with AMEX than regular credit cards? I think i read somewhere that they have you pay off your balance in full every month?

How much is yalls minimum on your AMEX cards?.. considering getting one but I have Capitol One and their minimum on both of my cards is at $25.

While I can afford to pay double on those right now, maybe a little more here and there, what are the minimums on the AMEX Every Day cards looking like? Anything different with AMEX than regular credit cards? I think i read somewhere that they have you pay off your balance in full every month?
If you get an AMEX charge card you have to pay the balance off in full. The every day is a regular cred card ,I believe that minimum payments are based off of 2% of your balance or $25 whichever is greater. Just check out the cards on the sites.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reviews/credit-card-issuer-minimum-payment/

IMO if you are worried about what the minimum payment is you probably shouldn't get anymore cards until your other cards are paid off.

If you are only paying the minimum it will takes years to pay off those cards.

If you get an AMEX charge card you have to pay the balance off in full. The every day is a regular cred card ,I believe that minimum payments are based off of 2% of your balance or $25 whichever is greater. Just check out the cards on the sites.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reviews/credit-card-issuer-minimum-payment/

IMO if you are worried about what the minimum payment is you probably shouldn't get anymore cards until your other cards are paid off.

If you are only paying the minimum it will takes years to pay off those cards.
About 15-20 years to be exact.

I used to date a chick that had 2 cards. Can't remember what they were but she had pretty high limits and I believe one had travel perks. Limits were like 7500 on one and like 12k on the other. What she would do is take 3 trips a year. She would use her CCs to pay for em which damn near maxed em out. Book em all in like march. She would pay like $100-200 bucks a month on both cards then when she got her tax returns(has 2 kids) she would pay them off then do it again. Every year. Worked for her. She has good credit rating. Jus always seemed weird to me...

@FlyNY

QFT.

flyny flyny ...your first order of business is to pay off the 8K, obviously. If the debt is spread over multiple cards, there are two ways you can go about this:

1. [COLOR=#red]The logical debt management way:[/COLOR]

Prioritize your debt settlement based on your cc interest rates. Basically, settle the balance on the cards with highest interest rates first before paying off the balance on the cards with the lowest interest rates. This strategy will allow you minimize the overall debt burden stemming for interest.

2. [COLOR=#red]The psychological ego stroke management way:[/COLOR]

With this strategy, you want to prioritize your debt management based on debt size and/or load. Essentially, you want to pay of the smaller cc balances first before working on the bigger ones. The belief here is that clearing the smaller debt balances first allows you to feel like a winner, psychologically, as you witness your debt burden lessen faster. This in turn encourages you to continue paying down your debt until you're finally in the black.

Learning how to effectively use each strategy will help you better manage your debt, imo.

If that 8k is all on one card, I would prioritize the cc payments over the student loan payments because of the differential in interest rates (see #1: logical debt management way). All things equal but interest rates, your cc debt will cost you more in the long run than your student loan debt. For now, just make the minimum payments for the student loan(s), and redirect any savings toward maximizing your cc payment.

When you're done paying off your cc, start an emergency fund. It's easy: just have your employer automatically deposit some fraction of your paycheck into a separate, online, account. After a few pay periods, you won't even notice the missing money and this lesser paycheck will become the norm.

Hope that helps!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom