24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

ONE THING IS IT TAKES LIKE 6 MONTHS FOR A TURN AROUND.. A CREDIT CARD IS GOOD BUT YOU MUSSSSTTT HAVE CONTROL AND USE IT ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE FUNDS TO PAY FOR YOUR PURCHASE.. A CELL PHONE IS ALSO A GOOD WAY SINCE SOME REQUIRE A CREDIT CHECK

Wireless providers don't report unless you miss a few payments. I've had AT&T for 10 years and they've never reported anything on any of my reports, same goes for utility companies.

I was expecting some major increases in my score...

but I recently moved and my electric bill Read a 0 balance owed on my online bill pay.. finally I called and it was 2 weeks late. 2 weeks from being shut off.

Score stayed the same, but now I got LATE PAYMENTS ON MY RECORD

Seems to be a lot of winning battles to lose wars mentality. The better question (I think) is what do you guys want good credit for? Credit cards are simple. Pay them off. Increase your limits. Don't close cards (history). There isn't some magic formula. It's a simple time + diligence.

There are plenty of tricks for when your funds are limited but that is a different story. For example, I am in the middle of taking a year off (to take some tests/travel/have a good time after grad school) before my work starts in January. I am spending whatever I want (0% APR) and all my existing balances I put over onto a 0% balance transfer card. That way I can enjoy this year however I want and then pay it all down quickly once I start working.

For the current moment my credit score is below it's usual 770 but it is for a good reason. The score itself means nothing if you don't have a clear purpose/knowledge of how to use the cards for leverage of your financial situation.

Only tip I can give: Try to pay rent/big expenses on a card that gives you miles or other solid rewards. I did that for my college tuition + rent and I've earned 3 free international round trips with my Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card.

Last edited:
move from da kiosk to da retail store, don't go credit happy at Marshals, cop a humble whip...flourish young man, flourish 
pimp.gif

Only tip I can give: Try to pay rent/big expenses on a card that gives you miles or other solid rewards. I did that for my college tuition + rent and I've earned 3 free international round trips with my Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card.

Yeah I pay my rent with my Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card. I wish back then I could of paid Tuition with it but a lot of schools ended CC payments for tuition.

The other tip on taking a year off and just being responsible and using it to your advantage is 100% true

Last edited:
I'm guessing my credit score from CK fixed itself from over compensation :lol:

The Equifax score for no reason last week for no reason dropped 53 points last week.

They both dropped give or take 20 pts this week from my consolidation (don't know what took it so long to hit.

Down to 695 Transunion and 688 Equifax.

Yeah I pay my rent with my Chase MileagePlus Explorer Card. I wish back then I could of paid Tuition with it but a lot of schools ended CC payments for tuition.

The other tip on taking a year off and just being responsible and using it to your advantage is 100% true

i wish i could pay my rent with my CC, i need to move landlord is an *ss antyways :smh:

i wish i could pay my rent with my CC, i need to move landlord is an *ss antyways :smh:

Smh last landlord property was like that. Current one is cool I just pay a $17 dollar processing fee which I aint even tripping about. My miles are serious right now all from paying rent with my card.

Credit limit was increased by 20% on my 1st Financial Bank card. I barely use that card but I appreciated the bump.

Credit Limit Increase + Low Credit Usage Ratio = Higher Credit Score

#NotMad

I have the option to pay rent with my card, but there is a 10$ fee. Is it worth it? Rewards aside, is it going to increase my score at all?

Sunshine avy info please 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
I don't see why not then. It can't hurt your score if you're not reporting that balance

Last edited:
well if your rent is 1000 and you get 1% back the fee is cancelled out. are you losing money?

It could be worth it if you are trying to build status with a company like amex or discover so they will approve limit increases. Chase won't care.

I have the option to pay rent with my card, but there is a 10$ fee. Is it worth it? Rewards aside, is it going to increase my score at all?

Sunshine avy info please :nerd:

Yes it is worth it.I have been paying with my Chase United card for a year now im about to switch to my Discover card and pay from now on.

Chase is lame but the miles are cool.

Back
Top Bottom