$3,000 - $4,000 to plan a party for 80ish ppl....WWYD?

Looking for some suggestions. My parents are throwing my baby shower sometime in August - September, and want my input. I want it to be less traditional,  an evening co-ed event, don't want to open gifts in front of anyone...because in my opinion that is the WORST part of the party, sitting there watching someone open a ton of gifts. Should be having around 80 people. 

I live in Queens, NY - the catering halls in my area are pretty.....run down and dusty. I don't want to have them go pay $35 per person without tax & gratuity for some grandma burgundy carpeted hall with bad food not because I think I am too good for it, but because at the minimum of $35pp with 80 people...thats $2,800, we can spend it but to me it is completely not worth it. Im looking for some alternatives. I thought about renting out a gallery or studio but the cost was around $1500 without table/chair rentals which apparently are pretty expensive and would run me close to $1,000 and this would be not including catered food & alcohol. Thought about a VFW hall or a community room but ehhh....it will end up being around 2,000 with food and alcohol and decorations and again for a mediocre party, I don't know if its worth it. 

Any ideas? 

& for the men, what are some things you would have liked to see at a co-ed baby shower you've been to? what the party drag for you? do you think a DJ is absolutely necessary?

First congrats. Secondly, I think $3-4k is good for 80 people. Just make sure they show.

My wife & I had a co-ed baby shower, we also didnt open the gifts in front of the guests.

I spent roughly $3,500.

We had a great time, if you want to have a great time trust me, have GREAT food.

Im filipino and my wife is mexican i spent nearly half the budget on food.

The event was 5-6 hours, didnt get a DJ but had great games that all the guests were into.

Here in socal we have a lot of recreation facilities that have halls, so with chairs/tables cost bout 400 with a $100 deposit.

This kind of $$ for a baby shower??? Come on man. IMO, it's not about you. You sound like you're young. Take that money and save it for your child. I first thought this was for a sweet 16 party by the title. I never would have guessed you were from Queens tho..

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Didn't read. Just looked at avy. You're not ugly, good job.
laugh.gif

NT invited?

I forgot to add, we had 120-140 guests.

Our hall included outdoor space which was great and a kitchen.

We didnt have alcohol.

Fortunantely, my girl and her fam did all the decorations which turned out amazing (lime green, light pink, pink) color scheme

Originally Posted by bright nikes

We didnt have alcohol.

Fortunantely, my girl and her fam did all the decorations which turned out amazing (lime green, light pink, pink) color scheme

See, I was thinking about doing something like this - the only down fall is that alot of the rec center, hall rental type places I know of are kinda dingy and "ghetto". Im on the hunt for a half way decent one though - thanks for the post. I was even beginning to question the amount of money being spent but you made me feel better knowing its not completely out of the norm lol

Originally Posted by beh235

This kind of $$ for a baby shower??? Come on man. IMO, it's not about you. You sound like you're young. Take that money and save it for your child. I first thought this was for a sweet 16 party by the title. I never would have guessed you were from Queens tho..

My parents are throwing the party. I cant really tell them hey, ill pocked that four thousand instead. In my family throwing a shower is traditional and in my opinion it isnt about me, its a celebration of the anticipated birth. 

Originally Posted by gORJESS

We didnt have alcohol.

See, I was thinking about doing something like this - the only down fall is that alot of the rec center, hall rental type places I know of are kinda dingy and "ghetto". Im on the hunt for a half way decent one though

You need a ballroom

don't look at halls... look at restaurants that have a private room that can accommodate your sized party.

^thats also a good suggestion.

Like i said, socal has great facilities and with our outdoor space i was even able to rent a bouncer for the kids.

The thing with restaurants, you are forced to go with their fixed menu.

I went with almost 5 different caterers.

Expecting a boy or girl?

^thats also a good suggestion.

Like i said, socal has great facilities and with our outdoor space i was even able to rent a bouncer for the kids.

The thing with restaurants, you are forced to go with their fixed menu.

I went with almost 5 different caterers.

Expecting a boy or girl?

We went for an elective gender ultrasound last week and was told baby girl, but her legs were crossed the entire time and they never showed me, or explained why...and said they couldn't get a picture of her "goods" so I am a bit nervous lol. In three weeks I hope to know for sure!

I was thinking about some restaurants too, but seems not too many have a spacious enough room to ensure 75 of us wont feel stuffed in - but im still looking around.

You can't be serious. People really spending $4k for a baby shower!?

What happened to a good ole back yard family catered joint or splurge for the taco man at $800?!!!

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

You can't be serious. People really spending $4k for a baby shower!?

What happened to a good ole back yard family catered joint or splurge for the taco man at $800?!!!

Our society has progressed these past 10 years. Bush believe it or not improved our standard of living. But now when pppl lose their jobs they cant go back to the old stylr of living. Ppl r unemployed and want a new car or house without working for it

Where in queens do u live ? I find it really hard to believe you cant find a catering hall that isn't "ghetto".

Don't make it co-ed. No dude wants to spend his day at a baby shower. You are just causing problems for other relationships.

don't make it co-ed, cut the guests in half, pocket the rest of the cash for something else like your seed

For catering private message me my parents own a restaurant we can do good spanish food specialize in peruvian and we have servers on deck if you need that too everything included, tables,burners, etc

but yeh baby showers are cool

Back
Top Bottom