48÷2(9+3) = ???

2(9+3) is what is calculated before you do any other steps. The answer to that is 24.

You DO NOT just add 9+3 and move on.
You DO complete the first equation which is 2(9+3)

Originally Posted by StonedFace

Pay close attention now folks..

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))
Why? Because, 2(9+3) is ONE expression, the 2 MUST be distributed BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

Think if it as a fraction.

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this guy serious?? we throwing in random stuff now? You can't just add parentheses that completely alters it.....why don't you just change all the #'s while you are at it

2(9+3) is what is calculated before you do any other steps. The answer to that is 24.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

No you don't.
You DO JUST ADD 9+3 and move on.

From there you go left to right so it would be 48/2 = 24

You end up with 24 (12) = 
eek.gif
eek.gif

It equals 288. 

If you wanted the problem to equal 2 it would HAVE to be set up in this format: 48/(2(9+3))

And I still can't believe son was just throwing parentheses in there like it was nothing. Really son, really? 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

distribution is multiplication... and thats after Parenthesis

distribution is NOT multiplication. The 2 being in front of the parenthesis is no coincidence, the two is stating that the parenthesis (and everything in it) MUST be multiplied by 2 before ANYTHING. If you can't understand this I feel sorry for you.
Yes you are correct that "the two is stating that the parenthesis (and everything in it) MUST be multiplied by 2" Key word is "multiplied" and according to PEMDAS when it comes to multiplication and division they are interchangeable, so you work left to right. In this case you would divide before you multiply by 2. This is why the answer is 288. 
2(9+3) and 2*(9+3) are the exact same thing. If you can't understand this I feel sorry for you.

distribution is NOT multiplication. The 2 being in front of the parenthesis is no coincidence, the two is stating that the parenthesis (and everything in it) MUST be multiplied by 2 before ANYTHING. If you can't understand this I feel sorry for you.
Yes you are correct that "the two is stating that the parenthesis (and everything in it) MUST be multiplied by 2" Key word is "multiplied" and according to PEMDAS when it comes to multiplication and division they are interchangeable, so you work left to right. In this case you would divide before you multiply by 2. This is why the answer is 288. 
2(9+3) and 2*(9+3) are the exact same thing. If you can't understand this I feel sorry for you.

No you don't.
You DO JUST ADD 9+3 and move on.

From there you go left to right so it would be 48/2 = 24

You end up with 24 (12) = 
eek.gif
eek.gif

It equals 288. 

If you wanted the problem to equal 2 it would HAVE to be set up in this format: 48/(2(9+3))

And I still can't believe son was just throwing parentheses in there like it was nothing. Really son, really? 
roll.gif

so you can admit 2(9+3)= 2*(9+3)? but you cant admit 48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2*(9+3)
if you can admit that then 48/2*(9+3)=48/2*(12) 12 is at it simplest form therefore the parentheses are not even needed?  so 48/2*12= 288

so you can admit 2(9+3)= 2*(9+3)? but you cant admit 48÷2(9+3) = 48÷2*(9+3)
if you can admit that then 48/2*(9+3)=48/2*(12) 12 is at it simplest form therefore the parentheses are not even needed?  so 48/2*12= 288

Its actually DPEMDAS?!?!?

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

no, becaues if we're talking about placement non-"coincidences" than its actually

PEMDAS ... and thus PMDAS

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

no, becaues if we're talking about placement non-"coincidences" than its actually

PEMDAS ... and thus PMDAS

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It really is a very simple problem. The people getting an answer of 2 are just trying to manipulate what the problem actually is to justify their answer.

It really is a very simple problem. The people getting an answer of 2 are just trying to manipulate what the problem actually is to justify their answer.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))
Why? Because, 2(9+3) is ONE expression, the 2 MUST be distributed BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread
1bb3654e4ae87d440ed4e5aa923d83f8335cf4b3.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This is actually hilarious. Keep on supporting 2 though, I ain't mad at cha.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread
1bb3654e4ae87d440ed4e5aa923d83f8335cf4b3.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This is actually hilarious. Keep on supporting 2 though, I ain't mad at cha.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom