48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Exactly scotthall. You do the paranthesis first. Everything in and attached to the paenthesis is done first. 2(9+3) in the paranthesis that is done first. So the correct answer is 288.

If a question was 8/3(1) you'd factor the 3 times 1 first then do the rest.

The above formula PROVES that 2 is not the correct answer.

Fixed
Once the number inside the parenthesis is in its simplest form you move onto the next step. It doesn't matter if there is a number attached or if it has an exponent on the outside. 2(9+3) is the same as 2*12, which makes the equation 48/2*12, which means you go left to right, which means the answer is 288.

You are completely wrong MJair. And two math expert told me that. Here is proof you are wrong......

If the question was 48/2(12) would you completely ignore the parenthesis? No. You'd do the 2 times 12 first. You don't skip the number attached to the bracket. That is complete proof you're wrong and the answer is 2.

You are completely wrong MJair. And two math expert told me that. Here is proof you are wrong......

If the question was 48/2(12) would you completely ignore the parenthesis? No. You'd do the 2 times 12 first. You don't skip the number attached to the bracket. That is complete proof you're wrong and the answer is 2.

No you wouldn't inspectah. You do the paranthesis formula in its entirety. Why did 2 math people tell me the entire parenthesis must be completed. There is nothing wrong with that notation.

No you wouldn't inspectah. You do the paranthesis formula in its entirety. Why did 2 math people tell me the entire parenthesis must be completed. There is nothing wrong with that notation.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Originally Posted by MJair

Prymone you are exactly right. And I just verified with my sister in law who is an engineer and math genius..... she said the EXACT same thing as you. The parenthesis don't go away after you add the 9 plus 3. She said you MUST multiple the 2 times 12 FIRST. The answer is 2.

She said the 288 people are mistaken because you HAVE to do the 2(9+3) completelty.

I've asked an engineer and a college math teacher and they both said two because the brackets must be completely done.

Sorry 288 people. You are wrong.
Well my math teacher said the answer was 288... 
no they didnt. and if they did they should be fired

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
STOP IT
indifferent.gif
@ saying people on either side are dumb and should be fired

I took this into work today and discussed this with a room full of fellow programmers and designers. We all work for a major game development studio.

The question is ambiguous. However, before we got into the theoretical aspects of looking at the question from an abstract math point of view I wrote the question on a whiteboard and had everyone write their answer on their notebooks and hold it up after about 30 seconds. All 8 people within the room responded with 288. Credentials in the room range from Ph.D in mathematics from UC Berkeley, MS in mathematics from Virgina Tech, MS in Object Based Media from MIT, BS in Computer Science from USC, and BS in Electrical Engineering from Cal-Poly.

Granted this was before any discussion but that's what the entire room came up with. As we discussed the principals of BODMAS and PEMDAS and various "rules" that can be applied here we pretty much all came to the conclusion that as it's written you can interpret it EITHER way based upon whatever "implied" brackets come into play or how you view the numerator and denominator. One of our network programmers held out and insisted the only answer could be 288 but the rest of us were open to the ambiguity of the problem. Take that for what it's worth.

I also asked a few friends who were aware of the question via Facebook. One getting his MS in Materials Physics from UCSD, another who is getting her PhD in Bio-engineering from Berkeley, and a friend who has only completed high school. All said 288.

I stand by my opinion that the question is poorly and lazily written. However, bashing each other on one side or another is pointless. This should just be a good example of using better notation to get your desired question, equation, or answer across.

================================================================================

EDIT: Just wanted to say that when I wrote the question on the board it was written: "48/2(9+3)=?"

Also I wanted to reiterate: It all depends on what the actual meaning behind the statement was, since math statements (in the real world) don't exist on their own.

Originally Posted by Rocky437

Originally Posted by MJair

Prymone you are exactly right. And I just verified with my sister in law who is an engineer and math genius..... she said the EXACT same thing as you. The parenthesis don't go away after you add the 9 plus 3. She said you MUST multiple the 2 times 12 FIRST. The answer is 2.

She said the 288 people are mistaken because you HAVE to do the 2(9+3) completelty.

I've asked an engineer and a college math teacher and they both said two because the brackets must be completely done.

Sorry 288 people. You are wrong.
Well my math teacher said the answer was 288... 
no they didnt. and if they did they should be fired

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
STOP IT
indifferent.gif
@ saying people on either side are dumb and should be fired

I took this into work today and discussed this with a room full of fellow programmers and designers. We all work for a major game development studio.

The question is ambiguous. However, before we got into the theoretical aspects of looking at the question from an abstract math point of view I wrote the question on a whiteboard and had everyone write their answer on their notebooks and hold it up after about 30 seconds. All 8 people within the room responded with 288. Credentials in the room range from Ph.D in mathematics from UC Berkeley, MS in mathematics from Virgina Tech, MS in Object Based Media from MIT, BS in Computer Science from USC, and BS in Electrical Engineering from Cal-Poly.

Granted this was before any discussion but that's what the entire room came up with. As we discussed the principals of BODMAS and PEMDAS and various "rules" that can be applied here we pretty much all came to the conclusion that as it's written you can interpret it EITHER way based upon whatever "implied" brackets come into play or how you view the numerator and denominator. One of our network programmers held out and insisted the only answer could be 288 but the rest of us were open to the ambiguity of the problem. Take that for what it's worth.

I also asked a few friends who were aware of the question via Facebook. One getting his MS in Materials Physics from UCSD, another who is getting her PhD in Bio-engineering from Berkeley, and a friend who has only completed high school. All said 288.

I stand by my opinion that the question is poorly and lazily written. However, bashing each other on one side or another is pointless. This should just be a good example of using better notation to get your desired question, equation, or answer across.

================================================================================

EDIT: Just wanted to say that when I wrote the question on the board it was written: "48/2(9+3)=?"

Also I wanted to reiterate: It all depends on what the actual meaning behind the statement was, since math statements (in the real world) don't exist on their own.

An expression like 1/2x is interpreted as 1/(2x) by TI-82, but as (1/2)x by TI-83. While the first interpretation may be expected by some users, only the latter is in agreement with the standard rules stated above.

^288 is a definite answer. 2 is a possible answer.
HybridSoldier, your input is appreciated.

An expression like 1/2x is interpreted as 1/(2x) by TI-82, but as (1/2)x by TI-83. While the first interpretation may be expected by some users, only the latter is in agreement with the standard rules stated above.

^288 is a definite answer. 2 is a possible answer.
HybridSoldier, your input is appreciated.

Step 1: 48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12)
Step 2: 48/2(12) is also written as 48 / 2 * (12) <-- how anyone can deny this is beyond me.
Step 3: Order of operations state you must go from left to right following PEMDAS but multiplication/division are interchangeable, so which ever comes first.
That means you divide 48 by 2 first. 2(12) is part of the multiplication rule, people are forgetting that a multiplication sign separates the 2 and 12.
Step 4: 48 / 2 = 24 and then times that by 12 = 288

Step 1: 48/2(9+3) = 48/2(12)
Step 2: 48/2(12) is also written as 48 / 2 * (12) <-- how anyone can deny this is beyond me.
Step 3: Order of operations state you must go from left to right following PEMDAS but multiplication/division are interchangeable, so which ever comes first.
That means you divide 48 by 2 first. 2(12) is part of the multiplication rule, people are forgetting that a multiplication sign separates the 2 and 12.
Step 4: 48 / 2 = 24 and then times that by 12 = 288

Originally Posted by Dips3tRydah

Originally Posted by Dips3tRydah

Pay close attention now folks..

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))
Why? Because, 2(9+3) is ONE expression, the 2 MUST be distributed BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

Think if it as a fraction.

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))
Why? Because, 2(9+3) is ONE expression, the 2 MUST be distributed BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread

Originally Posted by StonedFace

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread
no it's not you completely changed the problem by adding a parenthesis in front the 2. That's a whole new problem now.

Originally Posted by StonedFace

48 / 2 (9+3)
this is also the same as
48 / (2 (9+3))

48 / (18+6)
48 / 24
= 2

/thread
no it's not you completely changed the problem by adding a parenthesis in front the 2. That's a whole new problem now.

Dipset you are wrong on step 2. Its not written as 48 / 2 * (12)
Its written as. 48 / 2(12)

The paranthesis must be calculated entirely. That is why the answer is 2.

are you kidding me? lol. the 2 is NOT in the parenthesis, anytime a problem is written like this "2(12)" means that it has to be multiplied.

EDIT

you just wrote it needs to be calculated, tell me what exactly are you doing with the 2 and 12? Multiplying them.

are you kidding me? lol. the 2 is NOT in the parenthesis, anytime a problem is written like this "2(12)" means that it has to be multiplied.

EDIT

you just wrote it needs to be calculated, tell me what exactly are you doing with the 2 and 12? Multiplying them.

Back
Top Bottom