48÷2(9+3) = ???

Math
pimp.gif

I've always enjoyed threads like these.

Let me throw another wrench in the mix.

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

After the parenthesis is distributed it doesn't necessarily have to stay a parenthesis.

pemdas only means multiply or divide before adding or subtracting...you don't have to multiply or divide in order...that's true

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Originally Posted by tee eye ehm

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

24(12)

This is where you cats are messing up. @48/2(12) you still have to follow the order of operations and distribute that 2 before you do amy thing else. So, you will get 48/24 which =2
laugh.gif
Is this real life?
roll.gif
Last post.
Yes , if its was written 48/(2/(12)) but its not. You don't distribute. You divide then multiply.

pemdas only means multiply or divide before adding or subtracting...you don't have to multiply or divide in order...that's true

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by NLoc

48 / 2 (9+3)

48 / 2 (12)

24 ( 12 )

The P in PEMDAS means to do whats IN the parenthesis first. 12 is the ONLY thing that is IN the parenthesis. From there you go left to right order of operations.
you do know you multiply first before dividing. Number next to parenthesis is the same exact thing as multiplying therefore, you do multiplication first,which at the end will you 2 NOT 288.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

no you dont its what ever is first PEMDAS is really

P
E
M or D
A or S
exactly, multiplication comes before division. That 2 goes with 12 first (multiplication) then gets divided by 48.

you do know you multiply first before dividing. Number next to parenthesis is the same exact thing as multiplying therefore, you do multiplication first,which at the end will you 2 NOT 288.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

P
E
M or D
A or S
exactly, multiplication comes before division. That 2 goes with 12 first (multiplication) then gets divided by 48.

ITS OR. its whatever comes first. MULTIPLICATION DOES NOT GO BEFORE DIVISON.

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Originally Posted by tee eye ehm

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

24(12)

This is where you cats are messing up. @48/2(12) you still have to follow the order of operations and distribute that 2 before you do amy thing else. So, you will get 48/24 which =2
laugh.gif
Is this real life?
roll.gif
Last post.
Yes , if its was written 48/(2/(12)) but its not. You don't distribute. You divide then multiply.

48 / 2 (9+3)

48 / 2 (12)

24 ( 12 )

The P in PEMDAS means to do whats IN the parenthesis first. 12 is the ONLY thing that is IN the parenthesis. From there you go left to right order of operations.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

P
E
M or D
A or S

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

P
E
M or D
A or S

ITS OR. its whatever comes first. MULTIPLICATION DOES NOT GO BEFORE DIVISON.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

After the parenthesis is distributed it doesn't necessarily have to stay a parenthesis.
wow...you were failed MULTIPLE times by parents, teachers, etc up to this point in your life

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

wow...you were failed MULTIPLE times by parents, teachers, etc up to this point in your life

if your distributing it, youre basically multiplying it. what about that 48/2?

one of the rules is that you go left to right. multi or divi

seems like people are also confused with (/) and (÷)

if your distributing it, youre basically multiplying it. what about that 48/2?

one of the rules is that you go left to right. multi or divi

seems like people are also confused with (/) and (÷)

I DARE YOU GUYS TO FIND ANY MATH SOURCE THAT SAYS MULTIPLICATION COMES BEFORE DIVISON. ITS WHATEVER COMES FIRST SOMEONE SHOW ME A SOURCE OR $$$+.

I DARE YOU GUYS TO FIND ANY MATH SOURCE THAT SAYS MULTIPLICATION COMES BEFORE DIVISON. ITS WHATEVER COMES FIRST SOMEONE SHOW ME A SOURCE OR $$$+.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

If you say so, but I haven't broken any mathematical rule.

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

you're distributing incorrectly tho

Originally Posted by Numberr97

There is a reason why on math tests you show you how its written and not just in a straight line because there is 2 ways to write that. Who knows if its the whole thing multiplied by (9+3) or (9+3) is in the denominator. Both give different results.
i swear i posted the same thing
laugh.gif
. it's difficult to imply how the problem is written when it is typed out. it isnt clear whether the the (9+3) is in the denominator or not.

Originally Posted by Numberr97

There is a reason why on math tests you show you how its written and not just in a straight line because there is 2 ways to write that. Who knows if its the whole thing multiplied by (9+3) or (9+3) is in the denominator. Both give different results.
i swear i posted the same thing
laugh.gif
. it's difficult to imply how the problem is written when it is typed out. it isnt clear whether the the (9+3) is in the denominator or not.

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

you're distributing incorrectly tho

You don't distribute the 48 unless it is also in parenthesis.

(48/2)(9+3) = 288
48/2(9+3) = 2

48 ÷ 2(9+3) =

48 ÷ 18 + 6 =

2.66667 + 6 = 8.66667

Yes you have. You can only distribute when there are variables in the parenthesis. YOU DIDNT SOLVE WHATS IN THE PARENTHESIS FIRST. PEMDAS AGAIN FAIL. 9 + 3= 12.  not 9 and 3.

You don't distribute the 48 unless it is also in parenthesis.

(48/2)(9+3) = 288
48/2(9+3) = 2

Back
Top Bottom