48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Originally Posted by MECKS

CertifiedSW wrote:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Finally someone with some common sense. Good post. 

distributive property of multiplication
Again, you multiplied before you divide.  WRONG.  my "info" still stands.  Cite some legitimate sources that proves me wrong otherwise. You're suppose to evaluate left to right as there are division and multiplication present because they're of the same rank.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

50/2(1-1)
50/2(0)
25(0)

Its so disgusting that your a mod. You wont even admit you dont even know how to use the distributive property. Admit you were wrong trying to distribute in this problem.
The answer is UNDEFINED. 
eyes.gif
LOL!

At this point, i'm assuming TEAM 2 don't trust google (wolfram, bing, any search giant) or TI calculators anymore because it can't perform simple arithmetic problem(s)?

true or false
a(b+c) can be written as (ab+bc) ?

following this logic. you have to do the a(b+c) first, because its a division symbol. not / which would have made it 48/2 or 24/1 (a fraction)

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

Originally I thought it could be solved two ways, but if you strictly follow left --> right procedure then 288 is what should be the answer.

I am not sure why people are putting this equation into fractions and simplifying it from there.

Agreeing on that; there should be no need to complicate or rearrange the equation as it should be left as is to solve.
You got the easy part right, now the hard part is proving this to KingCrux aka IWriteMyOwnMathLaws
Rather start my calculus homework....
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
but not really, #@%% that %#*$
alien.gif

I understand  you both being on Team 288 but how are you gonna side with someone who doesn't even know the relation of division and fractions.
laugh.gif

Originally I thought it could be solved two ways, but if you strictly follow left --> right procedure then 288 is what should be the answer.

I am not sure why people are putting this equation into fractions and simplifying it from there.

Agreeing on that; there should be no need to complicate or rearrange the equation as it should be left as is to solve.
You got the easy part right, now the hard part is proving this to KingCrux aka IWriteMyOwnMathLaws
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

I understand  you both being on Team 288 but how are you gonna side with someone who doesn't even know the relation of division and fractions.
laugh.gif

CertifiedSW wrote:
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Finally someone with some common sense. Good post. 

Again, you multiplied before you divide.  WRONG.  my "info" still stands.  Cite some legitimate sources that proves me wrong otherwise. You're suppose to evaluate left to right as there are division and multiplication present because they're of the same rank.

50/2(1-1)
50/2(0)
25(0)

Its so disgusting that your a mod. You wont even admit you dont even know how to use the distributive property. Admit you were wrong trying to distribute in this problem.
The answer is UNDEFINED. 
eyes.gif
LOL!

At this point, i'm assuming TEAM 2 don't trust google (wolfram, bing, any search giant) or TI calculators anymore because it can't perform simple arithmetic problem(s)?

true or false

following this logic. you have to do the a(b+c) first, because its a division symbol. not / which would have made it 48/2 or 24/1 (a fraction)

Originally Posted by Ducky Quack

Hmm.. '÷' could be interpreted as fraction, but if we go back to basic math, it is basically just this symbol: √

The thing is where does it say that ÷ indicates a fraction combining all the terms and separating numerator and denominator with the division symbol.I have searched everywhere and have yet to find a source to agree with that statement.

.......okay, all BS aside. you NOT knowing this (all while being so vocal in this thread) is a major problem bruh. and im dead serious.

2 ÷ 1 = 2

is the same as...

2 / 1 = 2

and also the same as...

--  =  2

- i said a while back the issue with this problem is an interpretation one.....

Hmm.. '÷' could be interpreted as fraction, but if we go back to basic math, it is basically just this symbol: √

The thing is where does it say that ÷ indicates a fraction combining all the terms and separating numerator and denominator with the division symbol.I have searched everywhere and have yet to find a source to agree with that statement.

.......okay, all BS aside. you NOT knowing this (all while being so vocal in this thread) is a major problem bruh. and im dead serious.

2 ÷ 1 = 2

is the same as...

2 / 1 = 2

and also the same as...

--  =  2

The answer is UNDEFINED. 
eyes.gif
LOL!

true or false

No you are adding a set of parenthesis where it doesnt need to.

Proper distribution creates 2 seperates terms. either it is ab + bc or (ab) + (bc). Adding the parenthesis around the whole thing implies it is one term and if you were to add it into an equation it will give you different results.

Source:
http://www.algebra.com/al....faq.question.49847.html

The answer is UNDEFINED. 
eyes.gif
LOL!

true or false

Proper distribution creates 2 seperates terms. either it is ab + bc or (ab) + (bc). Adding the parenthesis around the whole thing implies it is one term and if you were to add it into an equation it will give you different results.

Source:

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

2 ÷ 1 = 2

is the same as...

2 / 1 = 2

and also the same as...

--  =  2

Yes that is correct but in this problem there is 3 terms not 2. The 2 and (9+3) are not one term if that was the case it would HAVE to be indicated by a parenthesis. Juxtaposition onlys shows multiplication not that it is one term.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

2 ÷ 1 = 2

is the same as...

2 / 1 = 2

and also the same as...

--  =  2

Yes that is correct but in this problem there is 3 terms not 2. The 2 and (9+3) are not one term if that was the case it would HAVE to be indicated by a parenthesis. Juxtaposition onlys shows multiplication not that it is one term.

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
lol I don't even know the complete convo that's going on in this thread... probably read maybe 40 pages sporadically.

Team 288 and
ch.gif

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
lol I don't even know the complete convo that's going on in this thread... probably read maybe 40 pages sporadically.

Team 288 and
ch.gif

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
And this is coming to the guy who said you could distribute and get 2
roll.gif

You clearly dont know how to work with parenthesis.

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif

So says the dude who posted this.
http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10757645/48-2-9-3-

eyes.gif

ohwell.gif
tired.gif

Taylor gang polynomials
pimp.gif
alien.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif

So says the dude who posted this.
http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/10757645/48-2-9-3-

eyes.gif

LOL!

true or false

Source:
indifferent.gif

when its by itself yes, this is true. but saying that a(b+c) = ab + bc then in the OG equation, you would have gotten 48/18 + 6

LOL!

true or false

Source:
indifferent.gif

when its by itself yes, this is true. but saying that a(b+c) = ab + bc then in the OG equation, you would have gotten 48/18 + 6

true or false

Source:
indifferent.gif

Exactly which is what you would do if you distribute it correctly. Do you agree with the statement that distribution resolves parenthesis?

The Distributive Property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses.
http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

Obviously you dont distribute in this problem because you can simplify whats in the parenthesis but if you do believe you can (which is wrong) you still wont get the answer 2.

true or false

Source:
indifferent.gif

Exactly which is what you would do if you distribute it correctly. Do you agree with the statement that distribution resolves parenthesis?

The Distributive Property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses.
http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

Obviously you dont distribute in this problem because you can simplify whats in the parenthesis but if you do believe you can (which is wrong) you still wont get the answer 2.

The answer is UNDEFINED. 
eyes.gif
LOL!

true or false

FALSE
a(b+c) can be written as ab+ac

The answer is UNDEFINED. 
eyes.gif
LOL!

true or false

FALSE

Originally Posted by cesarhpr1986

LOL!

true or false

FALSE

Already schooled him on it but you are either the first or 2nd person outside of me that understands distribution. So for that I give you props.

Back
Top Bottom