48÷2(9+3) = ???

xbhfsk.jpg

And to add more proof that Team 288 is right a Team 2 NTer asked the question to twitter specifically to Danica McKellar, Math Tutor, and she stated this

@crossurfingers A computer would say the answer is 288, which is technically the best answer, since order of op says do multi & div L to R.

And to add more proof that Team 288 is right a Team 2 NTer asked the question to twitter specifically to Danica McKellar, Math Tutor, and she stated this

@crossurfingers A computer would say the answer is 288, which is technically the best answer, since order of op says do multi & div L to R.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by ElCatfisho

eek.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif
Imma take that as a sign of disrespect, give 2 more cents that I should not be spending in order to make this straight. If this falls on deaf ears, keep laughing, it is good for your health. I'd rather someone stay alive rather than die unamused.

You do everything, I mean EVERYTHING, adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplication, exponents, etc., in the parenthesis. None of this distribution stuff. I'll say this for the last time and from here on out I'll just cosign whatever is being said and laugh at posts.

That means you do (9+3). What I meant by the whole "even if" thing, is that after distributing the two to the 9+3, which is like premeditated murder in math, you would then follow order of operations, not add 18 + 6.

Now continuing on to why 8.666 is not a valid answer, after getting the 12, like said numerous, countless, endless, and probably thousands more times if this thread stays open, you follow order of operations. Multiplication or Division left-to-right is what goes on.

So the equation stands:

[h3]48÷18 + 6
[/h3]
That's how 8.666 is found. And it is not the answer.

[h3]48÷2(12)
[/h3]
Divide 48 by 2 first, then multiply by 12. Final answer is 288.

Let me clarify: Distributing into the parenthesis is legal, maybe I've mucked that clarification up, but not when there is a term ahead of it that needs to be divided (48 in this case). You cannot work the problem from right to left.

Again, I don't care at all if you don't agree with me because that's the way I've been taught and it is the most logical method I know. It does not make sense to me to multiply 2 x 12 second when there is not an additional bracket in the equation, which would look like [2(9+3)]. Left-to-right math has to be followed so 48/2 is done second, not 2 x 12.

I am completely certain in my own knowledge that it is 288. I hope you understand but if you still believe it is 2 then I have nothing more to say except my opinion that that method of order of operations is completely illogical in the case of this particular equation.
I know how Team 288 got their answer. It has been explained numerous times in this thread that the problem is ambiguous and the answer will vary depending on how you solve it...

But the others are just straight ignorant.

eek.gif
sick.gif
If this is true then why is there no evidence online supporting this claim that the division symbol separates an entire equation into 2 terms?

eek.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif
Imma take that as a sign of disrespect, give 2 more cents that I should not be spending in order to make this straight. If this falls on deaf ears, keep laughing, it is good for your health. I'd rather someone stay alive rather than die unamused.

You do everything, I mean EVERYTHING, adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplication, exponents, etc., in the parenthesis. None of this distribution stuff. I'll say this for the last time and from here on out I'll just cosign whatever is being said and laugh at posts.

That means you do (9+3). What I meant by the whole "even if" thing, is that after distributing the two to the 9+3, which is like premeditated murder in math, you would then follow order of operations, not add 18 + 6.

Now continuing on to why 8.666 is not a valid answer, after getting the 12, like said numerous, countless, endless, and probably thousands more times if this thread stays open, you follow order of operations. Multiplication or Division left-to-right is what goes on.

So the equation stands:

[h3]48÷18 + 6
[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(12)
[/h3]

Let me clarify: Distributing into the parenthesis is legal, maybe I've mucked that clarification up, but not when there is a term ahead of it that needs to be divided (48 in this case). You cannot work the problem from right to left.

Again, I don't care at all if you don't agree with me because that's the way I've been taught and it is the most logical method I know. It does not make sense to me to multiply 2 x 12 second when there is not an additional bracket in the equation, which would look like [2(9+3)]. Left-to-right math has to be followed so 48/2 is done second, not 2 x 12.

I am completely certain in my own knowledge that it is 288. I hope you understand but if you still believe it is 2 then I have nothing more to say except my opinion that that method of order of operations is completely illogical in the case of this particular equation.
I know how Team 288 got their answer. It has been explained numerous times in this thread that the problem is ambiguous and the answer will vary depending on how you solve it...

eek.gif
sick.gif
If this is true then why is there no evidence online supporting this claim that the division symbol separates an entire equation into 2 terms?

Crux where is your proof that the division symbol separates an equation into 2 terms? I would assume something that is a math law would appear some where on the internet right?

Crux where is your proof that the division symbol separates an equation into 2 terms? I would assume something that is a math law would appear some where on the internet right?

There is nothing ambiguous about the equation.
÷ means division. + means addition. Juxtaposition means multiplication. If that's so hard, put a damn x in between the 2 and the () and you'll still get the exact same equation.
Order of operations states parenthesis, exponents, multiplication/division (whichever comes first from left to right), addition/subtraction (whichever comes first from left to right)
There's no ambiguity in this equation. The people who think there is are overanalyzing the equation and making it more difficult than it's supposed to be.

There is nothing ambiguous about the equation.
÷ means division. + means addition. Juxtaposition means multiplication. If that's so hard, put a damn x in between the 2 and the () and you'll still get the exact same equation.
Order of operations states parenthesis, exponents, multiplication/division (whichever comes first from left to right), addition/subtraction (whichever comes first from left to right)
There's no ambiguity in this equation. The people who think there is are overanalyzing the equation and making it more difficult than it's supposed to be.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

So the equation stands:

[h3]48÷18 + 6
[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(12)
[/h3]

eek.gif
sick.gif
Division is now separation?
eek.gif
sick.gif

You telling me that my note is false.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

So the equation stands:

[h3]48÷18 + 6
[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(12)
[/h3]

eek.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

eek.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Do you really lack that much comprehension i am talking about separation the numerator and denominator. According to you the division symbols adds parenthesis around the 2 parts of the equation . One set to the left of the division symbol another set to the right of the symbol. If that is the case why cant you show an example from someone NOT YOU that proves this indication and turns a problem the the division symbol into a fraction.

eek.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif
sick.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Do you really lack that much comprehension i am talking about separation the numerator and denominator. According to you the division symbols adds parenthesis around the 2 parts of the equation . One set to the left of the division symbol another set to the right of the symbol. If that is the case why cant you show an example from someone NOT YOU that proves this indication and turns a problem the the division symbol into a fraction.

Back
Top Bottom