48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by Rocky437

do you even know how to do any math using your own head? 

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

If you are asked to simplify something like "4 + 2×3", the question that naturally arises is "Which way do I do this? Because there are two options!":

• Choice 1:  4 + 2×3 = (4 + 2)×3 = 6×3 = 18

Choice 2:  4 + 2×3 = 4 + (2×3) = 4 + 6 = 10
It seems as though the answer depends on which way you look at the problem. But we can't have this kind of flexibility in mathematics; math won't work if you can't be sure of the answer, or if the exact same problem can calculate to two or more different answers. To eliminate this confusion, we have some rules of precedence, established at least as far back as the 1500s, called the "order of operations". The "operations" are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, and grouping; the "order" of these operations states which operations take precedence (are taken care of) before which other operations.
A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 Ã· 3 Ã— 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy.
http://www.math.com/school/subject2/lessons/S2U1L2GL.html

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]When expressions have more than one operation, we have to follow rules for the order of operations:[/size][/font]
  1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]First do all operations that lie inside parentheses.[/size][/font]
  2. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Next, do any work with exponents or radicals.[/size][/font]
  3. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Working from left to right, do all multiplication and division.[/font]
  4. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Finally, working from left to right, do all addition and subtraction[/size][/font]

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.order.operations.html

PEMDAS
  (You might remember this as "Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.")[sup]1[/sup]
  1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents
  3. Multiplication and Division
  4. Addition and Subtraction
This means that you should do what is possible within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division (from left to right), and then addition and subtraction (from left to right). If parentheses are enclosed within other parentheses, work from the inside out.
[sup]1[/sup]Some people are taught to remember BEDMAS:
        Brackets
        Exponents
        Division and Multiplication, left to right
        Addition and Subtraction, left to right

Besides the obvious sources Google and Wolfram AND Bing.. THUS 288.

For emphasis.

Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by Rocky437

do you even know how to do any math using your own head? 

Apparently not.
laugh.gif

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

If you are asked to simplify something like "4 + 2×3", the question that naturally arises is "Which way do I do this? Because there are two options!":

• Choice 1:  4 + 2×3 = (4 + 2)×3 = 6×3 = 18

Choice 2:  4 + 2×3 = 4 + (2×3) = 4 + 6 = 10
It seems as though the answer depends on which way you look at the problem. But we can't have this kind of flexibility in mathematics; math won't work if you can't be sure of the answer, or if the exact same problem can calculate to two or more different answers. To eliminate this confusion, we have some rules of precedence, established at least as far back as the 1500s, called the "order of operations". The "operations" are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, and grouping; the "order" of these operations states which operations take precedence (are taken care of) before which other operations.
A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 Ã· 3 Ã— 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy.
http://www.math.com/school/subject2/lessons/S2U1L2GL.html

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]When expressions have more than one operation, we have to follow rules for the order of operations:[/size][/font]
  1. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]First do all operations that lie inside parentheses.[/size][/font]
  2. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Next, do any work with exponents or radicals.[/size][/font]
  3. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Working from left to right, do all multiplication and division.[/font]
  4. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Finally, working from left to right, do all addition and subtraction[/size][/font]

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.order.operations.html

PEMDAS
  (You might remember this as "Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.")[sup]1[/sup]
  1. Parentheses
  2. Exponents
  3. Multiplication and Division
  4. Addition and Subtraction
This means that you should do what is possible within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division (from left to right), and then addition and subtraction (from left to right). If parentheses are enclosed within other parentheses, work from the inside out.
[sup]1[/sup]Some people are taught to remember BEDMAS:
        Brackets
        Exponents
        Division and Multiplication, left to right
        Addition and Subtraction, left to right

Besides the obvious sources Google and Wolfram AND Bing.. THUS 288.

For emphasis.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by do work son

Thank you. This dude needs a slap in the face. 

if you think -11^2 means -1 * 11^2 you're implying a multiplication that just isn't there. if you have -(11)^2 then the parenthesis has a coefficient of -1, in which case you can multiply what's in the parenthesis by -1. if you honestly do not understand that concept....
eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121
Your math abilities are equivalent to that of a 4 year olds. Sickening. Your posts are straight blasphemous.
The two equations you posted are the exact same. 
They aren't the same, though.

The first one is:
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -[(11)(11)] or written more simply: (-1)(11)(11)
= -121

It's a common trick question on 9th grade algebra exams.

Thank you. This dude needs a slap in the face. 

if you think -11^2 means -1 * 11^2 you're implying a multiplication that just isn't there. if you have -(11)^2 then the parenthesis has a coefficient of -1, in which case you can multiply what's in the parenthesis by -1. if you honestly do not understand that concept....
eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121
Your math abilities are equivalent to that of a 4 year olds. Sickening. Your posts are straight blasphemous.

The first one is:
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -121

Originally Posted by True Blues

eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121

The first one is:
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -121

You didn't post what he posted though. I completely agree with you on what you said. Maybe if you actually read this thread you would have seen my big post about this. 
What dude said is:

-11^2

and

-(11)^2

are different. I think that you can clearly see these two problems are the same. Did you think you were gonna try to son me saying these are problems on 9th grade exams 
eyes.gif
grin.gif

And thank you Klipschorn 
pimp.gif

HOW DO YA'LL NOT BELIEVE THIS MAN, SON EVEN HAS NEWTON AS HIS AVY 
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

#swag

eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121

The first one is:
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -121

You didn't post what he posted though. I completely agree with you on what you said. Maybe if you actually read this thread you would have seen my big post about this. 
What dude said is:

-11^2

and

-(11)^2

are different. I think that you can clearly see these two problems are the same. Did you think you were gonna try to son me saying these are problems on 9th grade exams 
eyes.gif
grin.gif

And thank you Klipschorn 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

#swag

wow this needs to get stickied. apparently the nt community cannot come to a conclusion on a simple math equation. where's a third grade math teacher when you need one....

wow this needs to get stickied. apparently the nt community cannot come to a conclusion on a simple math equation. where's a third grade math teacher when you need one....

Not gonna look through the entire thread. Has anyone linked to an actual Math professor solving this problem yet? I thought it was 288 then I was convinced it was 2 for a while now I'm back to 288. Been through a whole rollercoaster of emotions.

Not gonna look through the entire thread. Has anyone linked to an actual Math professor solving this problem yet? I thought it was 288 then I was convinced it was 2 for a while now I'm back to 288. Been through a whole rollercoaster of emotions.

Originally Posted by Tupack Shaker

288 is the final answer everyone agreed on. 

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

lol no one agreed on anything. i think by leaving it alone, we unofficially agreed to disagree. but you just had to bump it didn't you?

lol no one agreed on anything. i think by leaving it alone, we unofficially agreed to disagree. but you just had to bump it didn't you?

The first one is:
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -121

What dude said is:

-11^2

and

-(11)^2

eyes.gif
grin.gif

And thank you Klipschorn 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

#swag

Typing -11^2 into a calculator/wolfram gives you -121 because computers parse the expression as -1 * 11^2, rather than as (-11)^2. your calculator/wolfram isn't wrong at all. Due to the ambiguity of the negative sign for computers, you always need the parens around the base of your exponent for the correct computation

The first one is:
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -121

What dude said is:

-11^2

and

-(11)^2

eyes.gif
grin.gif

And thank you Klipschorn 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

#swag

Typing -11^2 into a calculator/wolfram gives you -121 because computers parse the expression as -1 * 11^2, rather than as (-11)^2. your calculator/wolfram isn't wrong at all. Due to the ambiguity of the negative sign for computers, you always need the parens around the base of your exponent for the correct computation

roll.gif
pimp.gif

young lad wrote:
CertifiedSW wrote:
True Blues wrote:

The first one is: 
(-11)[sup]2[/sup]
= (-11)(-11)
= 121

The second is:
-(11)[sup]2[/sup]
= -121

What dude said is:

-11^2

and

-(11)^2

eyes.gif
grin.gif

And thank you Klipschorn 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif

#swag

Thank you, finally someone with some common sense. 

Back
Top Bottom