48÷2(9+3) = ???

how are you guys doing PEMDAS and getting 2?

Multiplication does not come "before" division.

They sub for each other. Left to right is the importance of PEMDAS.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

balloonoboy...thats just not how it works. what you do basically ignores the whole point of the parenthesis....
If I'm to go by this chart, after the parenthetical is distributed, it no longer is a parenthetical, but two separate monomials.

properties_operations_ids.gif

Show me where I ignored the point of the parenthesis.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

engineering major here. I'm rolling with 2. i read all 14 pages too

show me how you solved the problem step by step.
48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
You are assuming the problem is 48 divided by the solution of 2 and 9 plus 3. The problem is actually 48 divided by 2 multiplied by (9 plus 3)

how are you guys doing PEMDAS and getting 2?

Multiplication does not come "before" division.

They sub for each other. Left to right is the importance of PEMDAS.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

engineering major here. I'm rolling with 2. i read all 14 pages too

show me how you solved the problem step by step.
48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
You are assuming the problem is 48 divided by the solution of 2 and 9 plus 3. The problem is actually 48 divided by 2 multiplied by (9 plus 3)

stop saying PEMDAS and 2
laugh.gif

if you think it's 2, its not because of pemdas...its because you read this as 48 over 2(3+9)...rather than linearly....i think?

its easy to assume / since most keyboards dont have the division sign...at least mine doesnt

Thread title should be changed to "Adventures in Fuzzy Math with NT"

From day one of middle school math, it is drilled into your head that any number attached to a parentheses is distributed to what is contained in the parentheses. You absolutely cannot move forward with an equation until that resolved. There must be a symbol between the 2 and the (9+3) for it to result in anything other than 24, thus creating the final denominator. People are treating the parentheses as a multiplication symbol. They are not the same thing.

From day one of middle school math, it is drilled into your head that any number attached to a parentheses is distributed to what is contained in the parentheses. You absolutely cannot move forward with an equation until that resolved. There must be a symbol between the 2 and the (9+3) for it to result in anything other than 24, thus creating the final denominator. People are treating the parentheses as a multiplication symbol. They are not the same thing.

stop saying PEMDAS and 2
laugh.gif

if you think it's 2, its not because of pemdas...its because you read this as 48 over 2(3+9)...rather than linearly....i think?

its easy to assume / since most keyboards dont have the division sign...at least mine doesnt

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

balloonoboy...thats just not how it works. what you do basically ignores the whole point of the parenthesis....
If I'm to go by this chart, after the parenthetical is distributed, it no longer is a parenthetical, but two separate monomials.

what you did was distribute to get 48/18+6

basically, you halfway distributed. you have to complete the 18+6 then divide 48/24 because the 18+6 was derived from the parenthesis step in PEMDAS. you have to completely finish the parenthesis step to move on.

basically, you halfway distributed. you have to complete the 18+6 then divide 48/24 because the 18+6 was derived from the parenthesis step in PEMDAS. you have to completely finish the parenthesis step to move on.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yes. You have to resolve the parentheses. It has to be 2 if the equation is written exactly like in the title.

Ballonboy, you need God in your life son.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Yes. You have to resolve the parentheses. It has to be 2 if the equation is written exactly like in the title.

Ballonboy, you need God in your life son.
30t6p3b.gif

a(b+c) = ab + ac = 2(9+3) = 18 + 6 = 24

you have to distribute completely, which includes adding together what you just distributed

a(b+c) = ab + ac = 2(9+3) = 18 + 6 = 24

you have to distribute completely, which includes adding together what you just distributed

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

The answer is 2.

BB was going wild with this, Neogaf is also.

Also- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110408055505AA0F9In
[h2]Best Answer - Chosen by Asker[/h2]
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.
  • Edited 5 hours ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26993361&postcount=1030

READ THIS

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up.
Jesus Christ people get your math game up.

Answer is 2

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

The answer is 2.

BB was going wild with this, Neogaf is also.

Also- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110408055505AA0F9In
[h2]Best Answer - Chosen by Asker[/h2]
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.
  • Edited 5 hours ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26993361&postcount=1030

READ THIS

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up.
Jesus Christ people get your math game up.

Answer is 2

If I complete the 18 + 6 am I not adding, which occurs later in the order of operations. Since the parenthesis was removed when I whole way distributed, we then move on to dividing and then adding.

If the parenthesis remains after distribution, then this is all a moot point and the answer is 2.

lets just say that looking at this expression 48÷2(9+3) exactly as it is

and following the order of operations

the answer is 288

If I complete the 18 + 6 am I not adding, which occurs later in the order of operations. Since the parenthesis was removed when I whole way distributed, we then move on to dividing and then adding.

If the parenthesis remains after distribution, then this is all a moot point and the answer is 2.

lets just say that looking at this expression 48÷2(9+3) exactly as it is

and following the order of operations

the answer is 288

Back
Top Bottom