48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Ok now it's clear why some of ya'll wanted the thread open, so you could flaunt your mental superiority 
laugh.gif
.  Calm down bro, it's a basic math problem.  Though different perspectives, no need to be calling people tards.
For the people getting 2, only way that would be the case is if there was also a parenthesis beginning at 2 and ending after the one at 3.  ie 48/(2(9+3)) which it isn't.  That dividing line only relates to that one number, so you have to treat 48/2 seperately, that when you get to 48/2(12) it's essentially (48/2)*(12).  So going left to right using the rule it's 24*12 which is 288.
Actually, because the 2 and the (12) are touching, the division would act like a separator. You have to reconcile the 2 and the 12 in parentheses before you move on. If you're showing your work and then you rewrite it as 48/2*12, you're doing it wrong. It still needs to be written as 48/2(12), and the parentheses need to be reconciled before you move on to the division part of the problem.
There is NOTHING that needs to be reconciled in the parentheses.  Its now just a number.  The parentheses was already reconciled when 9 was added to 3.  Parentheses completed.

if the paranthesis is reconciled, and now gone the problem would then read: 48/ 2 12

the parenthesis has to stay around the 12 like so 48/2(12)

now to reconcile the parenthesis you multiply the 2*12 giving you 24. then 48/24 = 2

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

Ok now it's clear why some of ya'll wanted the thread open, so you could flaunt your mental superiority 
laugh.gif
.  Calm down bro, it's a basic math problem.  Though different perspectives, no need to be calling people tards.
For the people getting 2, only way that would be the case is if there was also a parenthesis beginning at 2 and ending after the one at 3.  ie 48/(2(9+3)) which it isn't.  That dividing line only relates to that one number, so you have to treat 48/2 seperately, that when you get to 48/2(12) it's essentially (48/2)*(12).  So going left to right using the rule it's 24*12 which is 288.
Actually, because the 2 and the (12) are touching, the division would act like a separator. You have to reconcile the 2 and the 12 in parentheses before you move on. If you're showing your work and then you rewrite it as 48/2*12, you're doing it wrong. It still needs to be written as 48/2(12), and the parentheses need to be reconciled before you move on to the division part of the problem.
There is NOTHING that needs to be reconciled in the parentheses.  Its now just a number.  The parentheses was already reconciled when 9 was added to 3.  Parentheses completed.

if the paranthesis is reconciled, and now gone the problem would then read: 48/ 2 12

now to reconcile the parenthesis you multiply the 2*12 giving you 24. then 48/24 = 2

Guess I'll put my opinion in here.

1. Do the Parenthesis
48÷2(12)

2. Do math left to right, beginning with 48 ÷ 2

48÷2 = 24

3. Now finish the sequence:
24 x 12 = 288

Okay well since someone started the "my dad has x degree" precedent I decided to ask my dad for his opinion. He has a degree in Economics from Kyoto University.
He thinks the answer is 2, because 2(9+3) is its own "bracket" or something like that and has to be solved before going left-right.
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
You would think we would be frustrated about Calculus or some *#!@ like that.
tired.gif

Guess I'll put my opinion in here.

1. Do the Parenthesis
48÷2(12)

2. Do math left to right, beginning with 48 ÷ 2

48÷2 = 24

3. Now finish the sequence:
24 x 12 = 288

Okay well since someone started the "my dad has x degree" precedent I decided to ask my dad for his opinion. He has a degree in Economics from Kyoto University.
He thinks the answer is 2, because 2(9+3) is its own "bracket" or something like that and has to be solved before going left-right.
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
You would think we would be frustrated about Calculus or some *#!@ like that.
tired.gif

You know what's funny about this whole distributive property route--the fact that is yields two different answers, 2 and 8.66 depending on how you do it.

This here is prime evidence that you should NOT be using the distributive property.

From another site:

Code:
And so the DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY allows us to at leasteliminate the parentheses even when we can't add theterms inside them.
So after applying the distributive property, you eliminate the parenthesis and are left with:

48 ÷ 18 + 6

If you apply PEMDAS now, you get:

48 ÷ 18 = 2.6666

2.6666 + 6 = 8.6666

So now, y'all bringing 8.6666 into the conversaition huh...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Like I said, the fact that this problem yields 2 very different answers when you apply the distributive problem is evidence enough that y'all going about it the wrong way.

The answer is 288 when you actually work the equation the right way.

You know what's funny about this whole distributive property route--the fact that is yields two different answers, 2 and 8.66 depending on how you do it.

This here is prime evidence that you should NOT be using the distributive property.

From another site:

Code:
And so the DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY allows us to at leasteliminate the parentheses even when we can't add theterms inside them.
So after applying the distributive property, you eliminate the parenthesis and are left with:

48 ÷ 18 + 6

If you apply PEMDAS now, you get:

48 ÷ 18 = 2.6666

2.6666 + 6 = 8.6666

So now, y'all bringing 8.6666 into the conversaition huh...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Like I said, the fact that this problem yields 2 very different answers when you apply the distributive problem is evidence enough that y'all going about it the wrong way.

Originally Posted by do work son

The parenthesis stays around the 12 to symbolize multiplication.  Writing 48/2(12) is no different than writing 48/2 * 12.

Originally Posted by do work son

The parenthesis stays around the 12 to symbolize multiplication.  Writing 48/2(12) is no different than writing 48/2 * 12.

UnkleTomCruze wrote:

BINGO.

UnkleTomCruze wrote:

BINGO.

I'm with the 288, but if you were going with the the distributive property route, wouldn't it actually be 48 ÷ (18 + 6) instead of 48 ÷ 18 + 6. Meaning it would be 48/24.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by jhova718

parenthesis dont cease to exist because you solved whats inside of them. 

BINGO.

Really?

Ok...tell me, what's the difference between say, 9 and (9)?

Y'all implying that there's something special about the parenthesis so it remains even after you've solved what's inside it.

So assuming 9 was the answer to the formula within the parenthesis, you would now have (9). What the difference between this (9) and this 9?

I'll wait.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by jhova718

parenthesis dont cease to exist because you solved whats inside of them. 

BINGO.

Really?

Ok...tell me, what's the difference between say, 9 and (9)?

Y'all implying that there's something special about the parenthesis so it remains even after you've solved what's inside it.

So assuming 9 was the answer to the formula within the parenthesis, you would now have (9). What the difference between this (9) and this 9?

I'll wait.

I'm with the 288, but if you were going with the the distributive property route, wouldn't it actually be 48 ÷ (18 + 6) instead of 48 ÷ 18 + 6. Meaning it would be 48/24.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

From another site:

Code:

48 ÷ 18 + 6

You applied it the wrong way. 

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

From another site:

Code:

48 ÷ 18 + 6

You applied it the wrong way. 

Back
Top Bottom