48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Originally Posted by MJair

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

Holdenmichael... your jargon is incorrect. Once everyone goes to school Monday the math teachers will prove the answer if two. The question is asking you to multiple 2 time 12, then divide by 24.

Pmdas. Parenthesis 1st, multiplication 2nd, divison 3rd.

P first. (9 plus 3)
M next 2 X 12
D follows. 48/24
For the last time Multiplication does not come before Division.
PEMDAS.jpg
order-of-operations-05-01.gif

pemdas.gif
blog-2-pemdas.jpg

pemdas.gif

Yeah, this post pretty much crushes Team 288's argument. Without their "Multiplication is before Division" argument, they really have nothing. The question is also written with a ÷, so either we chalk this up as an "Idk which sign they're using so it could go either way," or team 2 all out wins. /thread
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Holdenmichael... your jargon is incorrect. Once everyone goes to school Monday the math teachers will prove the answer if two. The question is asking you to multiple 2 time 12, then divide by 24.

Pmdas. Parenthesis 1st, multiplication 2nd, divison 3rd.

P first. (9 plus 3)
M next 2 X 12
D follows. 48/24
PEMDAS.jpg

pemdas.gif
blog-2-pemdas.jpg

pemdas.gif

Yeah, this post pretty much crushes Team 288's argument. Without their "Multiplication is before Division" argument, they really have nothing. The question is also written with a ÷, so either we chalk this up as an "Idk which sign they're using so it could go either way," or team 2 all out wins. /thread
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

PEMDAS.jpg

pemdas.gif
blog-2-pemdas.jpg

pemdas.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Explain?

PEMDAS.jpg

pemdas.gif
blog-2-pemdas.jpg

pemdas.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Explain?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Explain?
SMH... you owned yourself twice by asking for an explanation
indifferent.gif

Nothing to explain bro. The multiplication before division argument is the argument of people who answered 2, not 288. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
Explain?
SMH... you owned yourself twice by asking for an explanation
indifferent.gif

Nothing to explain bro. The multiplication before division argument is the argument of people who answered 2, not 288. 

The ENTIRE parenthesis equation needs to be worked out first, not just the addition inside the parenthesis. That's where the 288 people are wrong. You don't just add 9 plus 3 and leave. You must factor the entire parenthesis equation which is 2(9 plus 3)

The ENTIRE parenthesis equation needs to be worked out first, not just the addition inside the parenthesis. That's where the 288 people are wrong. You don't just add 9 plus 3 and leave. You must factor the entire parenthesis equation which is 2(9 plus 3)

No, I'm pretty sure the one that you guys couldn't refute was the use of the distributive property. I quoted someone's explanation of it a couple of times as to how it gives you 2, but no one has been able to refute it yet. We're also arguing that you multiply because of the parentheses, not because it's just a normal multiplication. Look at the juxtaposition argument a few pages back, it shows that it's not just multiplication, which, like shown above, is interchangeable with division. You guys are the ones who owned yourselves.

Edit: Wait, so have you guys been thinking that we thought the 2(12) was just normal multiplication? Is that what it really comes down to? Have you guys actually been reading ANY of our arguments in which we have said otherwise?

No, I'm pretty sure the one that you guys couldn't refute was the use of the distributive property. I quoted someone's explanation of it a couple of times as to how it gives you 2, but no one has been able to refute it yet. We're also arguing that you multiply because of the parentheses, not because it's just a normal multiplication. Look at the juxtaposition argument a few pages back, it shows that it's not just multiplication, which, like shown above, is interchangeable with division. You guys are the ones who owned yourselves.

Edit: Wait, so have you guys been thinking that we thought the 2(12) was just normal multiplication? Is that what it really comes down to? Have you guys actually been reading ANY of our arguments in which we have said otherwise?

You do the paranthesis equation first which is.........

2(9 plus 3) which is 24
48/24

You don't do the parethesis addition only
48/2 x 12

The entire parenthesis formula is completed first. That is why the answer is 2
Again, this is only true if you view "/" exclusively as a symbol for division.  I'd also like to add that whether or not you complete the work inside the parentheses [FYI, parenthesis is the singular; ie. "(" or ")," not "()." That's why "(" is known as an open parenthesis and ")" is known as a closed parenthesis] first is irrelevant because of the distributive property*.  What is relevant is whether or not "/" is used exclusively as a symbol for fraction or interchangeably as a symbol for both fraction and division.

* here's the explanation for this:

We can view the equation as:

48/2(9) + 48/2(3)=288, if "/" is a symbol for fraction

48/2(9)+2(3) --> 48/18+6 --> 48/24=2 if "/" is a symbol for division.

As you can see, what's relevant is not completing the work inside the parentheses first, it's deciding whether or not "/" is being used as a symbol for fraction or division.

Again, the equation at the root of this thread isn't 48/2(9+3)=, it's 48÷2(9+3)=, in which the answer can only be 2 because ÷ cannot be interpreted as a symbol for fraction.

2(9 plus 3) which is 24
48/24

48/2 x 12

Again, this is only true if you view "/" exclusively as a symbol for division.  I'd also like to add that whether or not you complete the work inside the parentheses [FYI, parenthesis is the singular; ie. "(" or ")," not "()." That's why "(" is known as an open parenthesis and ")" is known as a closed parenthesis] first is irrelevant because of the distributive property*.  What is relevant is whether or not "/" is used exclusively as a symbol for fraction or interchangeably as a symbol for both fraction and division.

* here's the explanation for this:

48/2(9) + 48/2(3)=288, if "/" is a symbol for fraction

48/2(9)+2(3) --> 48/18+6 --> 48/24=2 if "/" is a symbol for division.

As you can see, what's relevant is not completing the work inside the parentheses first, it's deciding whether or not "/" is being used as a symbol for fraction or division.

Again, the equation at the root of this thread isn't 48/2(9+3)=, it's 48÷2(9+3)=, in which the answer can only be 2 because ÷ cannot be interpreted as a symbol for fraction.

As a stickler I'm saying that there SHOULD be brackets around [2(9+30] . You can say they're implied because they're "part of the denominator" but they're not there in the original posted equation. I'm sticking behind my opinion a few pages back that we have no idea how this was intended to be written. Is the 2 part of the denominator?

The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!
The "2" side keeps quoting this and while one person posted it somewhere that doesn't make it the end all be all. In fact it says that there's a differing in opinion and it can be viewed differently.

This whole this has been one of the greatest trolls launched upon the net that I can recall. This question has popped up all over the place and I'm sure we will get differing opinions from various college professors on Monday (with videos) spouting off everywhere from Cal Tech to D-bag state claiming they're right.

I stand by my own personal opinion that the question is poorly or lazily written and 2 or 288 can be legitimately right depending on the interpretation. That it all depends on what the actual meaning behind the statement was, since math statements (in the real world) don't exist on their own.

As a stickler I'm saying that there SHOULD be brackets around [2(9+30] . You can say they're implied because they're "part of the denominator" but they're not there in the original posted equation. I'm sticking behind my opinion a few pages back that we have no idea how this was intended to be written. Is the 2 part of the denominator?

The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!
The "2" side keeps quoting this and while one person posted it somewhere that doesn't make it the end all be all. In fact it says that there's a differing in opinion and it can be viewed differently.

This whole this has been one of the greatest trolls launched upon the net that I can recall. This question has popped up all over the place and I'm sure we will get differing opinions from various college professors on Monday (with videos) spouting off everywhere from Cal Tech to D-bag state claiming they're right.

I stand by my own personal opinion that the question is poorly or lazily written and 2 or 288 can be legitimately right depending on the interpretation. That it all depends on what the actual meaning behind the statement was, since math statements (in the real world) don't exist on their own.

2(9 plus 3) which is 24
48/24

48/2 x 12

You do know the 2 is outside of the parenthesis right? The first rule only applies to things INSIDE of the parenthesis.
2(9+3) = 2(12)

2(12) is the same as writing 2x12 and since multiplication and division are interchangeable you go left to right, which means you divide before you multiply, which also means the answer is 288.

Incredible how this thread went 42 pages in a day. Still with no consensus
laugh.gif
. I still stand by 2 but as this thread has gone on, it seems the momentum had swung back and forth. It seems to be in 2's favor right now but maybe the 288's have something new to bring to the table?

Incredible how this thread went 42 pages in a day. Still with no consensus
laugh.gif
. I still stand by 2 but as this thread has gone on, it seems the momentum had swung back and forth. It seems to be in 2's favor right now but maybe the 288's have something new to bring to the table?

2(9 plus 3) which is 24
48/24

48/2 x 12

You do know the 2 is outside of the parenthesis right? The first rule only applies to things INSIDE of the parenthesis.
2(9+3) = 2(12)

2(12) is the same as writing 2x12 and since multiplication and division are interchangeable you go left to right, which means you divide before you multiply, which also means the answer is 288.

Back
Top Bottom