48÷2(9+3) = ???

I don't understand how the solution to 48÷2(9+3) can be anything other than 2.

Brackets don't need to be added to 2(9+3) to achieve the answer of 2 without any dispute because:

2(9+3) counts as a single term.

Parentheses do need to be added around 48÷2 [(48÷2)(9+3)] in order to achieve the answer of 288.

Brackets don't need to be added to 2(9+3) to achieve the answer of 2 without any dispute because:

Parentheses do need to be added around 48÷2 [(48÷2)(9+3)] in order to achieve the answer of 288.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 Scanned images, internet sources, 40+ pages I'm crying over here.
The answer is 2, kids

Originally Posted by sole vintage

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

You don't just add 9 plus 3 and leave. You must factor the entire parenthesis equation which is 2(9 plus 3)
THIS

2(9+3) counts as a single term
whether it's 2 or 288 depends on if you group 2(9+3) together or not

I don't know the rules so i can't really say

You don't just add 9 plus 3 and leave. You must factor the entire parenthesis equation which is 2(9 plus 3)
THIS

THIS

2(9+3) is the same as 2x(9+3) so no.

You can go to any math site on the web and read about the Order of Operations and it will tell you that the first rule only applies to things INSIDE of the parenthesis or brackets.

• Do things inside Parentheses first (using PEMDAS, if needed, inside the parentheses).
  • Then do all Exponents, in order as they occur, going from left to right.
  • Then do all Multiplications/Divisions (they have equal weight) in order as they occur, going from left to right.
  • Finally, do all Additions/Subtractions (they have equal weight) in order as they occur, going from left to right.

The very first thing we do is evaluate anything we can in that is inside the parentheses.

• Simplify 4 + [–1(–2 – 1)][sup]2[/sup].
    First I'll simplify inside the curvy parentheses, then simplify inside the square brackets, and only then take care of the squaring.

THIS

2(9+3) is the same as 2x(9+3) so no.

You can go to any math site on the web and read about the Order of Operations and it will tell you that the first rule only applies to things INSIDE of the parenthesis or brackets.

• Do things inside Parentheses first (using PEMDAS, if needed, inside the parentheses).
  • Then do all Exponents, in order as they occur, going from left to right.
  • Then do all Multiplications/Divisions (they have equal weight) in order as they occur, going from left to right.
  • Finally, do all Additions/Subtractions (they have equal weight) in order as they occur, going from left to right.

The very first thing we do is evaluate anything we can in that is inside the parentheses.

• Simplify 4 + [–1(–2 – 1)][sup]2[/sup].
    First I'll simplify inside the curvy parentheses, then simplify inside the square brackets, and only then take care of the squaring.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

THIS

the equation in the title is subjective when inputting into a calculator.
Since ti's don't have the actual division symbol it's easy to mistake 48/2 as one term and 9+3 as a second, yet the title of the thread is written as 2(9+3) being one term and thats when PEMDAS comes into play.

It's not a matter of which answer is right, it's a matter of how one perceives the equation and the answer to the equation in the title is 2

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

what makes the problem ambiguous is that parentheses need to be added to BOTH equations if you want to do it like that

48 / ((2*9)+(2*3))

you can add parentheses to both of em or neither of them

as for your single term
what if i want to write:

48 / (2)(9+3) OR
48/ (1*2)(9+3) OR
48/ (0+2)(9+3)

im starting to think its ambiguous

THIS

Since ti's don't have the actual division symbol it's easy to mistake 48/2 as one term and 9+3 as a second, yet the title of the thread is written as 2(9+3) being one term and thats when PEMDAS comes into play.

It's not a matter of which answer is right, it's a matter of how one perceives the equation and the answer to the equation in the title is 2

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

what makes the problem ambiguous is that parentheses need to be added to BOTH equations if you want to do it like that

48 / ((2*9)+(2*3))

you can add parentheses to both of em or neither of them

as for your single term
what if i want to write:

48 / (2)(9+3) OR
48/ (1*2)(9+3) OR
48/ (0+2)(9+3)

im starting to think its ambiguous

Originally Posted by DecemberLove

THIS

That's why I'm saying it was ambiguously, poorly, or lazily written. This could all have been cleared up if it was written:

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

We're all getting trolled.

THIS

That's why I'm saying it was ambiguously, poorly, or lazily written. This could all have been cleared up if it was written:

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

It doesn't have to be written as "48/2*(3+9)" because you should automatically know that the 2 is multiplying whatever is inside the parenthesis. If you add the extra brackets then you're just changing the whole equation. The answer to the OG equation is 288. The answer to "48/[2(3+9)]" (Which is not the OG equation) is 2.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

48/2*(3+9)

or

48/[2(3+9)]

It doesn't have to be written as "48/2*(3+9)" because you should automatically know that the 2 is multiplying whatever is inside the parenthesis. If you add the extra brackets then you're just changing the whole equation. The answer to the OG equation is 288. The answer to "48/[2(3+9)]" (Which is not the OG equation) is 2.

Back
Top Bottom