48÷2(9+3) = ???

For all you cats that think it's 2, what do you think the answer to this equation is: 1-1+1?

Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

Originally Posted by LBJ23navo

Its 2. If you put it in the calculator it should be like this

48/(2(9+3))
No, you're changing the whole problem. Stop.
Obviously never used a calculator before.
laugh.gif

For all you cats that think it's 2, what do you think the answer to this equation is: 1-1+1?

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

Originally Posted by bballah3

Shout out to whoever wrote P.E.M.D.A.S. first

= 2
You all KEEP FORGETTING! PEDMAS OR PEMDAS OR PEDMSA OR PEMDSA they are all the same.

The multiplication and division are interchangeable, so you go left to right in the equation, the Addition and Subtraction are interchangeable as well.

You getting to =2 this way are getting there for the wrong reasons.
Yea, but the 2 is still under the "P" bullet. Then you can move on to "D".

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

Originally Posted by bballah3

Shout out to whoever wrote P.E.M.D.A.S. first

= 2
You all KEEP FORGETTING! PEDMAS OR PEMDAS OR PEDMSA OR PEMDSA they are all the same.

The multiplication and division are interchangeable, so you go left to right in the equation, the Addition and Subtraction are interchangeable as well.

You getting to =2 this way are getting there for the wrong reasons.
Yea, but the 2 is still under the "P" bullet. Then you can move on to "D".

Originally Posted by FullMetal

roll.gif
at this debate. The answer is 288. you don't always multiply before you divide (which is what a lot of people are doing). the division sign is before the multiplication sign.

you cannot separate the 2 from the (9+3) due to DPofM. try it again.
Edit: unless the you are count the 48/2 as being attached to it.

Paging method man 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FullMetal

roll.gif
at this debate. The answer is 288. you don't always multiply before you divide (which is what a lot of people are doing). the division sign is before the multiplication sign.

you cannot separate the 2 from the (9+3) due to DPofM. try it again.
Edit: unless the you are count the 48/2 as being attached to it.

Paging method man 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

2lnesyw.png
You just changed the whole problem.
laugh.gif

The parenthetical belongs in the denominator.
he didnt change it, he put it in as 48/2(9+3) but thats how wolfram interprets it

Originally Posted by derrty6232

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

The answer is 2.

BB was going wild with this, Neogaf is also.

Also- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110408055505AA0F9In
[h2]Best Answer - Chosen by Asker[/h2]
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.
  • Edited 5 hours ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26993361&postcount=1030

I like this answer.

Except!

It's not just distributing the 2 into the brackets. It's distributing the 48/2 into the brackets.

It should be distributed as [(48/2)9+(48/2)3)]

this = 288

I have my math major friend helping me out here
, and I agree with his logic
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

2lnesyw.png
You just changed the whole problem.
laugh.gif

The parenthetical belongs in the denominator.
he didnt change it, he put it in as 48/2(9+3) but thats how wolfram interprets it

Originally Posted by derrty6232

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

The answer is 2.

BB was going wild with this, Neogaf is also.

Also- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110408055505AA0F9In
[h2]Best Answer - Chosen by Asker[/h2]
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.
  • Edited 5 hours ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26993361&postcount=1030

I like this answer.

Except!

It's not just distributing the 2 into the brackets. It's distributing the 48/2 into the brackets.

It should be distributed as [(48/2)9+(48/2)3)]

this = 288

I have my math major friend helping me out here
, and I agree with his logic
laugh.gif

Is this seriously a problem? Elementary school kids can do this. It's obviously two, parenthesis is done first. Then again, it depends on how it is written. The way it's written in the title is confusing 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom