48÷2(9+3) = ???

It's not a multiplication juxtaposition rule, it's a parenthetical juxtaposition rule.

Where can we find it and why isn't it listed anywhere alongside the mathematical order of operation?

All I've read is that juxtaposition is used as a substitute for multiplication. For example:

a • b • c • d = abcd = abc(d) where d=e+f

I have to solve e+f first, but I can do the rest in any order after than.

It's not a multiplication juxtaposition rule, it's a parenthetical juxtaposition rule.

Where can we find it and why isn't it listed anywhere alongside the mathematical order of operation?

All I've read is that juxtaposition is used as a substitute for multiplication. For example:

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Like I've said previously, Say what you will, but the mathematical community views the juxtaposition rule as if it exists. I've taken a LOT of math tests, finished Calc last semester, if you were to think without the juxtaposition rule on a test it would be counted as a misstep which would make the rest of the problem wrong. You can argue the philosophical value of the juxtaposition rule all you want, the fact of the matter is that if you don't use it, your math professor will mark your answer wrong no matter how good your reasoning is. That's all I have to say about that. Again, good day.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Like I've said previously, Say what you will, but the mathematical community views the juxtaposition rule as if it exists. I've taken a LOT of math tests, finished Calc last semester, if you were to think without the juxtaposition rule on a test it would be counted as a misstep which would make the rest of the problem wrong. You can argue the philosophical value of the juxtaposition rule all you want, the fact of the matter is that if you don't use it, your math professor will mark your answer wrong no matter how good your reasoning is. That's all I have to say about that. Again, good day.

It's not that I don't believe you. I just want more than, "because they say that's the rule." I understand it and I'm sure I'd apply it in my everyday life just as I was doing in this thread until a few minutes ago.

Now I have doubt. That's all it is. I'm questioning my belief in a "parenthetical juxtaposition rule" because it doesn't make logical sense and I can't find any support for it on the internet.

It's not that I don't believe you. I just want more than, "because they say that's the rule." I understand it and I'm sure I'd apply it in my everyday life just as I was doing in this thread until a few minutes ago.

Now I have doubt. That's all it is. I'm questioning my belief in a "parenthetical juxtaposition rule" because it doesn't make logical sense and I can't find any support for it on the internet.

50736ab54886d1f89245edf3aba2765e777809d4.gif

46 pages!
sick.gif

Some of you are thinking the parenthesis only mean multiplication, but they also automatically associate anything in the parenthesis to the value directly outside the parenthesis.
So do it this way, replace (9+3) with x
[h3]48 ÷ 2x =
[/h3]48
2x

2(9+3) =

2x and 2(9+3) are handled the same way

[h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]48 ÷ 2 * (9+3)= 288 though
[/h3]

50736ab54886d1f89245edf3aba2765e777809d4.gif

46 pages!
sick.gif

Some of you are thinking the parenthesis only mean multiplication, but they also automatically associate anything in the parenthesis to the value directly outside the parenthesis.
[h3]48 ÷ 2x =
[/h3]48
2x

2(9+3) =

[h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3]

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

46 pages!
sick.gif

[h3]48 ÷ 2x =
[/h3]48
2x

2(9+3) =

[h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3]

sick.gif
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, you do whatever is in the parenthesis first then you do multiplying/division in the order that it comes in...my TI-84 said it is 288 btw.
It is not even a mind=blowing question

46 pages!
sick.gif

[h3]48 ÷ 2x =
[/h3]48
2x

2(9+3) =

[h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3]

sick.gif
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, you do whatever is in the parenthesis first then you do multiplying/division in the order that it comes in...my TI-84 said it is 288 btw.

Originally Posted by E3LAL

46 pages!
sick.gif

[h3]48 ÷ 2x =
[/h3]48
2x

2(9+3) =

[h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3]

sick.gif

Yes but the 2 is still touching the parenthesis.  When have you had an algebra problem that rewrites as 2(x)=2*x instead of 2(x)=2x?  Having the 2 makes sense.  And people not reading and just posting smilies and making dumb comments with the utmost confidence are what's wrong with this country, not the folks using their brain on either side with solid arguments. 

46 pages!
sick.gif

[h3]48 ÷ 2x =
[/h3]48
2x

2(9+3) =

[h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3][h3]
[/h3]

sick.gif

Yes but the 2 is still touching the parenthesis.  When have you had an algebra problem that rewrites as 2(x)=2*x instead of 2(x)=2x?  Having the 2 makes sense.  And people not reading and just posting smilies and making dumb comments with the utmost confidence are what's wrong with this country, not the folks using their brain on either side with solid arguments. 

sick.gif
That would be correct if you were going strictly off of order of operations, but there is an association between 2 and (9+3).
You have to do them together as I tried to explain above

When you look at the algebraic expression using 2x you do not split 2 and x up in this equation, 2(9+3) is the same way. The parenthesis draw the same association.

sick.gif
That would be correct if you were going strictly off of order of operations, but there is an association between 2 and (9+3).
You have to do them together as I tried to explain above

When you look at the algebraic expression using 2x you do not split 2 and x up in this equation, 2(9+3) is the same way. The parenthesis draw the same association.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

people not reading and just posting smilies and making dumb comments with the utmost confidence are what's wrong with this country,
roll.gif

The fact that there's so much debate about this simple math problem shows that the educational system is what's wrong with this country.

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

people not reading and just posting smilies and making dumb comments with the utmost confidence are what's wrong with this country,
roll.gif

The fact that there's so much debate about this simple math problem shows that the educational system is what's wrong with this country.

yeah but calculators are notorious for not doing order of operations, sometimes you have to put a () to let it know it needs to do something first. The question is poorly written and can go either way. I personally think the answer is 2 but if someone were to say 288 i see their justification.

yeah but calculators are notorious for not doing order of operations, sometimes you have to put a () to let it know it needs to do something first. The question is poorly written and can go either way. I personally think the answer is 2 but if someone were to say 288 i see their justification.

I am in complete shock at how long this thread is...

The answer is 2.
Seriously? It's just like GRyyPR33 said and showed above.

I'm happy there's a reason for the text I randomly got to this equation yesterday at least, I was wondering why my friend would ask me this and he's a smart individual like myself and should've known as quick as I told him...at least that makes sense now
laugh.gif

Good ol' NT

I am in complete shock at how long this thread is...

The answer is 2.
Seriously? It's just like GRyyPR33 said and showed above.

I'm happy there's a reason for the text I randomly got to this equation yesterday at least, I was wondering why my friend would ask me this and he's a smart individual like myself and should've known as quick as I told him...at least that makes sense now
laugh.gif

Good ol' NT

Some *snip* believe that / means a fraction? No *snip* the slash is short hand for division. Learn a programming language and say other wise

Edit: warned for name calling

Back
Top Bottom