48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Some idiots believe that / means a fraction? No you idiots the slash is short hand for division. Learn a programming language and say other wise

Believe me, the problem here is what happens with 2(9+3) and if you multiply this first because of the parenthesis or divide because of the left to right rule (after the numbers INSIDE the parenthesis is solved)
There is no such thing as multiplication by juxtaposition. Google it and you will only notice it is ONLY talked about when in discussion of this equation. Multiplication by juxtaposition even if it would exist would still be covered under MULTIPLICATION under order of operation. Juxtaposition holds no weight. Peep this example

a/bc

b and c are clearly next to each other but you would still do the division first. The parenthesis is only in there to tell you guys to do 9 + 3 first after that it is all fair game.
This is exactly how there is a team 288.   But team 2 is saying that 12 is still inside the parenthesis and still needs to be resolved before dividing the 2 into the 48.   THIS is where the 2 and 288 come from and this is the problem that needs to be resolved before the correct answer is given. (If there is even a correct answer...apparently this question wasnt written clearly enough to even be a math problem)

Some idiots believe that / means a fraction? No you idiots the slash is short hand for division. Learn a programming language and say other wise

Believe me, the problem here is what happens with 2(9+3) and if you multiply this first because of the parenthesis or divide because of the left to right rule (after the numbers INSIDE the parenthesis is solved)
There is no such thing as multiplication by juxtaposition. Google it and you will only notice it is ONLY talked about when in discussion of this equation. Multiplication by juxtaposition even if it would exist would still be covered under MULTIPLICATION under order of operation. Juxtaposition holds no weight. Peep this example

a/bc

b and c are clearly next to each other but you would still do the division first. The parenthesis is only in there to tell you guys to do 9 + 3 first after that it is all fair game.
This is exactly how there is a team 288.   But team 2 is saying that 12 is still inside the parenthesis and still needs to be resolved before dividing the 2 into the 48.   THIS is where the 2 and 288 come from and this is the problem that needs to be resolved before the correct answer is given. (If there is even a correct answer...apparently this question wasnt written clearly enough to even be a math problem)

the answer is 288. The only way the answer is 2 is if it was written like this: 48/(2(9 + 3))

But since it is not, the 2 is not associated WITHIN ANY parenthesis to have it multiplied by the (9+3). So you have to go from left to right after adding what's in the parenthesis only.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
From here you gotta divide the 48 and 2 first.
24*12 = 288

the answer is 288. The only way the answer is 2 is if it was written like this: 48/(2(9 + 3))

But since it is not, the 2 is not associated WITHIN ANY parenthesis to have it multiplied by the (9+3). So you have to go from left to right after adding what's in the parenthesis only.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
From here you gotta divide the 48 and 2 first.
24*12 = 288

a/bc

The problem with team 2 is their refusal to accept that this equation: (a) 48 ÷ 2 (9+3) is tantamount to this equation: (b) 48 ÷ 2 x 1(9+3).

If you're willing to acknowledge the validity of equation (b), then there's no refuting the fact that the answer is 288.

I use to think the answer was two as well, but then my roomate who is a Ph.D in math here at my University showed me the light. I was lost, but now I am found.

Team 288 all the way, I aint going back to the darkness of the 2...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

a/bc

The problem with team 2 is their refusal to accept that this equation: (a) 48 ÷ 2 (9+3) is tantamount to this equation: (b) 48 ÷ 2 x 1(9+3).

If you're willing to acknowledge the validity of equation (b), then there's no refuting the fact that the answer is 288.

I use to think the answer was two as well, but then my roomate who is a Ph.D in math here at my University showed me the light. I was lost, but now I am found.

Team 288 all the way, I aint going back to the darkness of the 2...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

not every calculator is programmed correctly for order of operation. Ive seen this issue a few times. If you do it by hand it should be 2. the order may change depending on the math rules your dealing with and going by causing the PEMDAS order of operation to change. I.E if these are real numbers on in calculus , dot product, or certain SI units, the order of operation changes significantly giving you 288. 

not every calculator is programmed correctly for order of operation. Ive seen this issue a few times. If you do it by hand it should be 2. the order may change depending on the math rules your dealing with and going by causing the PEMDAS order of operation to change. I.E if these are real numbers on in calculus , dot product, or certain SI units, the order of operation changes significantly giving you 288. 

for those who don't like economists ...

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 ÷ 3 × 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first.

/thread

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 ÷ 3 × 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first.

/thread

Originally Posted by msaba07

/thread
Again, the left to right thing isnt the problem.  The problem is if you should multiply 2 by 12 FIRST because 12 is "Still in the parenthesis" and needs to be resolved, or if solving the 9+3 resolved the parenthesis and makes it 48/2*12, in which case you would do left to right.......
but if its "Still in the parenthesis" it would be read as 48/2(12) and because the 12 is still within the parenthesis, you need to multiply 2 time 12 first, which makes it 2.

this is the issue, so keep it open...
smile.gif

Hey, a healthy conversation about something other than WSHH or TMZ is always good
happy.gif

/thread
Again, the left to right thing isnt the problem.  The problem is if you should multiply 2 by 12 FIRST because 12 is "Still in the parenthesis" and needs to be resolved, or if solving the 9+3 resolved the parenthesis and makes it 48/2*12, in which case you would do left to right.......
but if its "Still in the parenthesis" it would be read as 48/2(12) and because the 12 is still within the parenthesis, you need to multiply 2 time 12 first, which makes it 2.

smile.gif

Hey, a healthy conversation about something other than WSHH or TMZ is always good
happy.gif

/thread

smile.gif

happy.gif

The 12 is resolved though....

Back
Top Bottom