48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Originally Posted by msaba07

for those who don't like economists ...

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 ÷ 3 × 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first.

/thread
Again, the left to right thing isnt the problem.  The problem is if you should multiply 2 by 12 FIRST because 12 is "Still in the parenthesis" and needs to be resolved, or if solving the 9+3 resolved the parenthesis and makes it 48/2*12, in which case you would do left to right.......
but if its "Still in the parenthesis" it would be read as 48/2(12) and because the 12 is still within the parenthesis, you need to multiply 2 time 12 first, which makes it 2.

this is the issue, so keep it open...
smile.gif

Hey, a healthy conversation about something other than WSHH or TMZ is always good
happy.gif

The 12 is resolved though....

It depends on how the equation is written. If the 2(9+3) is all in the denominator together, then it's 2. If the 2 is in the denominator alone and the (9+3) is just off to the side, then it's 288.

However, the equation is written like this:

48÷2(9+3)

which means the 2 and the (9+3) are together. If it was written out in a vertical form, the (9+3) would be in the denominator with the 2. Thus, 2 is the answer.

The 48÷2 would have to be in its own set of parenthesis for it to be calculated separately from the (9+3). Then the products of the adjacent parenthesis would be multiplied and we would get 288.

It depends on how the equation is written. If the 2(9+3) is all in the denominator together, then it's 2. If the 2 is in the denominator alone and the (9+3) is just off to the side, then it's 288.

48÷2(9+3)

which means the 2 and the (9+3) are together. If it was written out in a vertical form, the (9+3) would be in the denominator with the 2. Thus, 2 is the answer.

The 48÷2 would have to be in its own set of parenthesis for it to be calculated separately from the (9+3). Then the products of the adjacent parenthesis would be multiplied and we would get 288.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

48÷2(9+3)

The parenthesis is removed though once 9+3 is resolved. Juxtaposition just shows that you are MULTIPLYING nothing else. THERE IS NO LAW OF JUXTAPOSITION IN REGARDS TO ORDER OF OPERATION.

48÷2(9+3)

The parenthesis is removed though once 9+3 is resolved. Juxtaposition just shows that you are MULTIPLYING nothing else. THERE IS NO LAW OF JUXTAPOSITION IN REGARDS TO ORDER OF OPERATION.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

/thread
Again, the left to right thing isnt the problem.  The problem is if you should multiply 2 by 12 FIRST because 12 is "Still in the parenthesis" and needs to be resolved, or if solving the 9+3 resolved the parenthesis and makes it 48/2*12, in which case you would do left to right.......
but if its "Still in the parenthesis" it would be read as 48/2(12) and because the 12 is still within the parenthesis, you need to multiply 2 time 12 first, which makes it 2.

smile.gif

Hey, a healthy conversation about something other than WSHH or TMZ is always good
happy.gif
I know, but again, thats why there are 2 different answers.

/thread

smile.gif

happy.gif
I know, but again, thats why there are 2 different answers.

smile.gif

happy.gif
I know, but again, thats why there are 2 different questions.

There is not 2 different questions though. Once the 12 becomes 12 the parenthesis are REMOVED. Its just common math sense. Show me an example where someone keeps the parenthesis on after its been resolved to 1 thing.

smile.gif

happy.gif

There is not 2 different questions though. Once the 12 becomes 12 the parenthesis are REMOVED. Its just common math sense. Show me an example where someone keeps the parenthesis on after its been resolved to 1 thing.

48÷2(9+3)

if the 2(9+3) is together that means your multiplying and have left the parenthesis. Which is completely wrong. Since you're going left to right the division comes before the multiplication. Like I said before if it was like this (2(9+3)) then yes the answer would be 2 but it's not.

48÷2(9+3)

if the 2(9+3) is together that means your multiplying and have left the parenthesis. Which is completely wrong. Since you're going left to right the division comes before the multiplication. Like I said before if it was like this (2(9+3)) then yes the answer would be 2 but it's not.

48÷2(9+3)

So we'd have the 12 multiplied by the 2, right? the division sign would indicate the separation between numerator and denominator, wouldn't it? I think the numerator/denominator issue is what causes the ambiguity or disagreement here. Because I think the 12 would be in the denominator along with the 2, thus making the denominator 24, and the answer 2.

48÷2(9+3)

So we'd have the 12 multiplied by the 2, right? the division sign would indicate the separation between numerator and denominator, wouldn't it? I think the numerator/denominator issue is what causes the ambiguity or disagreement here. Because I think the 12 would be in the denominator along with the 2, thus making the denominator 24, and the answer 2.

Originally Posted by Dips3tRydah

48÷2(9+3)

But if the division sign is an indicator of the separation between numerator and denominator, then the two sides are calculated separately. So the second set of parenthesis would be implied.

48÷2(9+3)

But if the division sign is an indicator of the separation between numerator and denominator, then the two sides are calculated separately. So the second set of parenthesis would be implied.

I edited to put answers........dont know why i typed questions instead.
You gotta search the thread.......It was something like "The parenthesis dont just go away".  I think it was crux or holden.....I dont remember.

I edited to put answers........dont know why i typed questions instead.
You gotta search the thread.......It was something like "The parenthesis dont just go away".  I think it was crux or holden.....I dont remember.

48÷2(9+3)

No it wouldn't. You can't just add more parenthesis than what the problem stated Do it this way: 48/2 * 9+3/1

48÷2(9+3)

No it wouldn't. You can't just add more parenthesis than what the problem stated Do it this way: 48/2 * 9+3/1

48÷2(9+3) =

It's asking for the quotient of dividing 48 by the product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3.

The product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3 is the same as the product of 2 and 12. Which is 24

The quotient of 48 divided by 24 is 2.

48÷2(9+3) =

It's asking for the quotient of dividing 48 by the product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3.

The product of 2 and the sum of 9 and 3 is the same as the product of 2 and 12. Which is 24

48÷2(9+3) =

No it isn't. If you go by that method you completely thrown out the order of operations. 9+3 is the first step and then you deal with the 48/2. If the problem was just 48/2(12)(which is step2) you would do the left to right method since there's no need to solve anything in the parenthesis.

48÷2(9+3) =

No it isn't. If you go by that method you completely thrown out the order of operations. 9+3 is the first step and then you deal with the 48/2. If the problem was just 48/2(12)(which is step2) you would do the left to right method since there's no need to solve anything in the parenthesis.

Back
Top Bottom