48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by prymone

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Is this what people are trying to say when they say its 2???
9cc3654c1755077b78af9c6be2ec446c00becafd_r.jpg

im pretty sure 2 to the 12th power does not = 24   
Lol....After i saw that on the other board i thought about it.......I think they meant 2 X 12....not really 2 to the 24th power, lol

Originally Posted by prymone

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Is this what people are trying to say when they say its 2???
9cc3654c1755077b78af9c6be2ec446c00becafd_r.jpg

im pretty sure 2 to the 12th power does not = 24   
Lol....After i saw that on the other board i thought about it.......I think they meant 2 X 12....not really 2 to the 24th power, lol

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by Rocky437

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(12)

48÷24

The brackets dont disappear. You have to do the 2*12 first.

The brackets or parenthesis are literally the exact same thing as x or *. If that's so hard to understand, take them away and replace them with x or * and you'll get the exact same equation.
It isn't hard to understand, no ones having trouble there.  But what says you just take away the parenthesis, change it to multiplication, then just leave it to do another portion of the problem?
jhova718 wrote:
396156251.jpg

the answer is 2

Are those last two both not correct? with and without? so listed in a problem how would you get from one to the other in one step?

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(12)

48÷24

The brackets or parenthesis are literally the exact same thing as x or *. If that's so hard to understand, take them away and replace them with x or * and you'll get the exact same equation.
It isn't hard to understand, no ones having trouble there.  But what says you just take away the parenthesis, change it to multiplication, then just leave it to do another portion of the problem?
jhova718 wrote:
396156251.jpg

the answer is 2

Are those last two both not correct? with and without? so listed in a problem how would you get from one to the other in one step?

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

From another site:

Code:
And so the DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY allows us to at leasteliminate the parentheses even when we can't add theterms inside them.

but you CAN add the terms inside the parenthesis, because they are like terms. after collecting the like terms, then you eliminate the parenthesis.

From another site:

Code:
And so the DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY allows us to at leasteliminate the parentheses even when we can't add theterms inside them.

but you CAN add the terms inside the parenthesis, because they are like terms. after collecting the like terms, then you eliminate the parenthesis.

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(12)

48÷24

Do the brackets dissapear if you do:

2x 1(12)?

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
grin.gif

Exactly! The parentheses only disappear after you multiply 1 and 12 just like the parentheses only disappear after 2 and 12 are multiplied in the original problem.

48÷2(9+3)

48÷2(12)

48÷24

Do the brackets dissapear if you do:

2x 1(12)?

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
grin.gif

Exactly! The parentheses only disappear after you multiply 1 and 12 just like the parentheses only disappear after 2 and 12 are multiplied in the original problem.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Originally Posted by dland24

AGAIN 2 PEOPLE......do you agree with this?

1-1+1= -1
What the @#$# are you serious right now lol

The answer to this problem is POSITIVE ONE no matter what you do. You just go from left to right.

As for the original problem, the answer is 288. Add the parentheses and you get 12. Then from there you go from left to right, so you would end up with 24 x 12 = 288. 
How you failed to make the connection to how people are getting 2 and how you would get -1 to the problem I wrote is beyond me.   If your answer is 1 (not -1) when you solve 1-1+1, then your answer should be 288 (not 2) when you solve 48/2(9+3). 

If everyone knows to go left to right when solving 1-1+1, why is it hard to understand that you do the same thing (after adding 9+3) when solving 48/2(9+3)??

1-1+1= -1

The answer to this problem is POSITIVE ONE no matter what you do. You just go from left to right.

As for the original problem, the answer is 288. Add the parentheses and you get 12. Then from there you go from left to right, so you would end up with 24 x 12 = 288. 
How you failed to make the connection to how people are getting 2 and how you would get -1 to the problem I wrote is beyond me.   If your answer is 1 (not -1) when you solve 1-1+1, then your answer should be 288 (not 2) when you solve 48/2(9+3). 

If everyone knows to go left to right when solving 1-1+1, why is it hard to understand that you do the same thing (after adding 9+3) when solving 48/2(9+3)??

Originally Posted by do work son

From another site:

Code:

Yeah this dude just stick with 288 and be done, you're in another lane with no support, because everyone else atleast knows to combine the like terms.

Originally Posted by do work son

From another site:

Code:

Yeah this dude just stick with 288 and be done, you're in another lane with no support, because everyone else atleast knows to combine the like terms.

Can't believe NT'ers finally prioritized () over ({})
eek.gif

Mods, if this comment is inappropriate, I'll edit.
laugh.gif

Can't believe NT'ers finally prioritized () over ({})
eek.gif

Mods, if this comment is inappropriate, I'll edit.
laugh.gif

1-1+1= -1

You've got to realize you're not making sense b.

1-1+1= -1

You've got to realize you're not making sense b.

Back
Top Bottom