48÷2(9+3) = ???

PEMDAS simple as that, the MD and AS are interchangable depending one whichever one comes first the answer is really 288 but since the distribution is in there the answer is really 2. I can see how every one can get one or the other. :tongue:

PEMDAS simple as that, the MD and AS are interchangable depending one whichever one comes first the answer is really 288 but since the distribution is in there the answer is really 2. I can see how every one can get one or the other. :tongue:

I don't get why you guys are arguing about this when it's really simple.... it's a given that you're supposed to add 9+3 to make 12 first. What you're actually debating about is whether to divide the quantity by 12 or multiply by 12. if you multiply the quantity, you get 288, if you divide, you get 2. it seems ambiguous because it is written on one line. Also, you don't use distributive property for things inside parentheses that are readily able to be simplified. You'd only distribute if it were... 2(9y+3) for instance otherwise you could rewrite it as 2(2+2+2+2+2+2) and you would get a different answer.

the people who think the answer is 2 and think that the rule of distribution applies imagine the equation looking like this  

______ = 2
2(9+3)

while the people who think the answer is 288 imagine the equation looking like this

48(9+3)
_______  = 288

The correct way to imagine it is the latter because it is written on one line and there is no reasonable indication that the (9+3) should be in the denominator, otherwise it would be written 48/2x[1/(9+3)] or 48/[2(9+3)] to avoid ambiguities like this. The way that it is written in the title of the post, you're supposed to imagine it as the latter. Multiplication and divsion have equal priority after you have simplified whatevers in parentheses. So when it is written on one line and you have equal priority of operations, you just do the equation from left to right.  That is what we are taught in middle school.

The answer is 288.

I don't get why you guys are arguing about this when it's really simple.... it's a given that you're supposed to add 9+3 to make 12 first. What you're actually debating about is whether to divide the quantity by 12 or multiply by 12. if you multiply the quantity, you get 288, if you divide, you get 2. it seems ambiguous because it is written on one line. Also, you don't use distributive property for things inside parentheses that are readily able to be simplified. You'd only distribute if it were... 2(9y+3) for instance otherwise you could rewrite it as 2(2+2+2+2+2+2) and you would get a different answer.

the people who think the answer is 2 and think that the rule of distribution applies imagine the equation looking like this  

______ = 2
2(9+3)

while the people who think the answer is 288 imagine the equation looking like this

48(9+3)
_______  = 288

The correct way to imagine it is the latter because it is written on one line and there is no reasonable indication that the (9+3) should be in the denominator, otherwise it would be written 48/2x[1/(9+3)] or 48/[2(9+3)] to avoid ambiguities like this. The way that it is written in the title of the post, you're supposed to imagine it as the latter. Multiplication and divsion have equal priority after you have simplified whatevers in parentheses. So when it is written on one line and you have equal priority of operations, you just do the equation from left to right.  That is what we are taught in middle school.

The answer is 288.

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

reposted from page 24...

-waystinthyme

You must not be paying attention. I'd go back to around the 40s area and take a look around, there were quite a few people who switched from 288 to 2. Stop reposting this weak defense.

feel free to enlighten me...as i've seen none.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by bruce negro

reposted from page 24...

-waystinthyme

You must not be paying attention. I'd go back to around the 40s area and take a look around, there were quite a few people who switched from 288 to 2. Stop reposting this weak defense.

feel free to enlighten me...as i've seen none.

-waystinthyme

Can this go 100 pages?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Please
Excuse
My
Dear
Aunt
Sally

Thats all you need to remember in life

exactly
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

answer is 2

edit: cant see how people think 48/2 (9=3) is 24(9+3).... the / is clearly a division sign in this eqution. it would be written as 48 (the nominator) and 24(9+3) is the denominator. thats all the / means
in the end it equals 2

Please
Excuse
My
Dear
Aunt
Sally

exactly
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

answer is 2

edit: cant see how people think 48/2 (9=3) is 24(9+3).... the / is clearly a division sign in this eqution. it would be written as 48 (the nominator) and 24(9+3) is the denominator. thats all the / means
in the end it equals 2

Originally Posted by UPandCOMING32

Please
Excuse
My
Dear
Aunt
Sally

exactly
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

answer is 2

in the end it equals 2
/ just means division. it doesn't mean that everything you write after it goes in the denominator. when you write all the terms on one line, unless you clarify with extra parentheses grouping the (9+3) with the 2, you're supposed to assume that it belongs in the numerator.

that is why a calculator will give the answer as 288. calculators apply the order of operations correctly. everyone else is overthinking it.

Originally Posted by UPandCOMING32

Please
Excuse
My
Dear
Aunt
Sally

exactly
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

answer is 2

in the end it equals 2
/ just means division. it doesn't mean that everything you write after it goes in the denominator. when you write all the terms on one line, unless you clarify with extra parentheses grouping the (9+3) with the 2, you're supposed to assume that it belongs in the numerator.

that is why a calculator will give the answer as 288. calculators apply the order of operations correctly. everyone else is overthinking it.

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 Ã· 3 Ã— 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy. For instance, typesetting this into a graphing calculator, you will get:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

by the logic of people who think the answer is 2, 48-2+(9+3) should equal 34.

+ and - have the same priority just as multiplication and division.

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). When you have a bunch of operations of the same rank, you just operate from left to right. For instance, 15 Ã· 3 Ã— 4 is not 15 ÷ 12, but is rather 5 × 4, because, going from left to right, you get to the division first. If you're not sure of this, test it in your calculator, which has been programmed with the Order of Operations hierarchy. For instance, typesetting this into a graphing calculator, you will get:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

by the logic of people who think the answer is 2, 48-2+(9+3) should equal 34.

+ and - have the same priority just as multiplication and division.

Ran the problem by my dad again, and he explained it. Still says it's 288. I'm about to make a YouTube video of him talking about it
laugh.gif

Again, this is coming from someone with a math degree from Northwestern (top 15 university).

But it is a pretty poorly written equation.

Ran the problem by my dad again, and he explained it. Still says it's 288. I'm about to make a YouTube video of him talking about it
laugh.gif

Again, this is coming from someone with a math degree from Northwestern (top 15 university).

But it is a pretty poorly written equation.

i don't think it's poorly written, people are just looking at it the wrong way.

unless the there are extra parentheses to group the (9+3) and the 2, the division symbol applies to the 2 and only the 2.

Back
Top Bottom