48÷2(9+3) = ???

king krux please find the nearest sylvan learning center 
Sylvan1.gif

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by do work son

the examples on that website pretty much seal the deal. team 2 ftw

that is straight up bull

like i said 10 pages ago, you guys are trying to misconstrue our common understanding of... 2(9+3)... aka... 2*(9+3)... aka... (2)(9+3)... aka... (2)*(9+3)... in order to mean something that its not... ie (((((2(9+3))))))

theres 5 other concepts in PEmDAS that follow ALL rules ALL the time, but because of this particular placement, yall want to make it out to be peMdas

NO OTHER CONCEPT BREAKS THE RULES LIKE THAT, yall are misconstruing placement of the 2
Show me a Math problem with a Ã·(2(9+3)) 
This is just ridiculous. It's like saying divide AND multiply. 

NO, whats ridiculous is that you guys are trying to make a special exception for multiplication, which is bull

yall are trying to make a special rule JUST FOR MULTLIPLICATION, just because of how we understand it ... 2(9+3)... aka... 2*(9+3)... aka... (2)(9+3)... aka... (2)*(9+3)

no other concept in PEmDAS does that, but yall want to make up a special rule just for multiplication, THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS

EXPONENTIALS doesnt even need this special rule because we all understand ORDER OF OPERATIONS

Originally Posted by do work son

the examples on that website pretty much seal the deal. team 2 ftw

that is straight up bull

like i said 10 pages ago, you guys are trying to misconstrue our common understanding of... 2(9+3)... aka... 2*(9+3)... aka... (2)(9+3)... aka... (2)*(9+3)... in order to mean something that its not... ie (((((2(9+3))))))

theres 5 other concepts in PEmDAS that follow ALL rules ALL the time, but because of this particular placement, yall want to make it out to be peMdas

NO OTHER CONCEPT BREAKS THE RULES LIKE THAT, yall are misconstruing placement of the 2

NO, whats ridiculous is that you guys are trying to make a special exception for multiplication, which is bull

yall are trying to make a special rule JUST FOR MULTLIPLICATION, just because of how we understand it ... 2(9+3)... aka... 2*(9+3)... aka... (2)(9+3)... aka... (2)*(9+3)

no other concept in PEmDAS does that, but yall want to make up a special rule just for multiplication, THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS

EXPONENTIALS doesnt even need this special rule because we all understand ORDER OF OPERATIONS

I feel those who answer 288 have never taken any higher level mathematics (no offense). I posted this on my facebook and noticed that those who answered 2 almost all had a college education and those who answered 288 finished their education at HS or lower.

Anyone who has taken precalc or higher will understand why we get 2, and I guess I can see why anyone with only a elementary understanding of math would get 288...

I feel those who answer 288 have never taken any higher level mathematics (no offense). I posted this on my facebook and noticed that those who answered 2 almost all had a college education and those who answered 288 finished their education at HS or lower.

Anyone who has taken precalc or higher will understand why we get 2, and I guess I can see why anyone with only a elementary understanding of math would get 288...

Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Sylvan1.gif
Why because I proved you wrong? Stop participating in this thread already since you have nothing else to contribute.

Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Sylvan1.gif
Why because I proved you wrong? Stop participating in this thread already since you have nothing else to contribute.

Originally Posted by GreenRanger

Originally Posted by dland24

Can anyone please show me ANY source which EXPLICITLY states that the first part of the order of operations is not just whats inside the parentheses, but anything connected to them as well?  

"That is, multiplication that is indicated by placement against parentheses (or brackets, etc) is "stronger" than "regular" multiplication. Typesetting the entire problem in a graphing calculator verifies this hierarchy"

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm
The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!
(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)

Can anyone please show me ANY source which EXPLICITLY states that the first part of the order of operations is not just whats inside the parentheses, but anything connected to them as well?  

"That is, multiplication that is indicated by placement against parentheses (or brackets, etc) is "stronger" than "regular" multiplication. Typesetting the entire problem in a graphing calculator verifies this hierarchy"

The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!
(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)

Yes this is very rare but that's the whole point why people get confused and get 2

[h3]48÷2(9+3) =/= 48÷(2(9+3))[/h3]

[h3]48÷(2(9+3)) = 2[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(9+3)= 288[/h3]

Yes this is very rare but that's the whole point why people get confused and get 2

[h3]48÷(2(9+3)) = 2[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(9+3)= 288[/h3]

that is straight up bull

AGAIN, show me a Math problem with a Ã·(2(9+3)) 

that is straight up bull

Originally Posted by Bachelor frog

[h3]48÷(2(9+3)) = 2[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(9+3)= 288[/h3]

Rare? Try never. You'll never see a problem written as ÷(2(9 + 3)) because you don't divide AND multiply. You EITHER divide OR multiply.

Originally Posted by Bachelor frog

[h3]48÷(2(9+3)) = 2[/h3]

[h3]48÷2(9+3)= 288[/h3]

Rare? Try never. You'll never see a problem written as ÷(2(9 + 3)) because you don't divide AND multiply. You EITHER divide OR multiply.

i dont have to, because it how its understand that you group them in parentheses to form a single term in order to follow order of operations when theres something other than an addition sign or subtraction sign in front of the outside multiplier

like i said 20 pages ago, DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY NEITHER MULTIPLICATION OR DIVISION COMES FIRST IN PEMDAS???

if you did, youd know that multiplication and division play by all the same logical rules, just like addition vs subtraction

there CANNOT be special rules for multiplication

i dont have to, because it how its understand that you group them in parentheses to form a single term in order to follow order of operations when theres something other than an addition sign or subtraction sign in front of the outside multiplier

like i said 20 pages ago, DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY NEITHER MULTIPLICATION OR DIVISION COMES FIRST IN PEMDAS???

if you did, youd know that multiplication and division play by all the same logical rules, just like addition vs subtraction

there CANNOT be special rules for multiplication

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Back
Top Bottom