48÷2(9+3) = ???

I'm going to show this to my math teacher on Tuesday. As far as PEMDAS goes, I'm not sure why people are grouping that 2 outside of the parenthesis in with P. All P stands for is 9+3, and then you start back at the beginning of the problem and solve from left to right. Google says this, my TI-83, 86 calculators say this, and every teacher I have ever had taught me this. The answer is 288.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by pjhoody

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

^ not saying 2 is necessarily wrong...but you dont have to multiply before dividing in pemdas...its m or d before a or s
fair point
you say that as if it's his opinion 
nah, I mean he's right in pointing my mistake out.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

^ not saying 2 is necessarily wrong...but you dont have to multiply before dividing in pemdas...its m or d before a or s
fair point

fair point
Which is a VERY big mistake.
Team 2 has seriously made some of the worst posts I've seen in my time on NT 
sick.gif

no there was no need, but I was using distributive property to illustrate the relationship between the 2 and what was inside the parenthesis. Team 288 doesn't seem to understand that you're supposed to multiply what's in the parenthesis by 2... why? I HAVE NO IDEA.

and, no there is no difference. the answer for both = 2.

in fact, you may have made the best case for the answer being 2.

[h3]48÷ 2 x 1(9+3)  is the same as
[/h3][h3]48 / 2 x 12 =
[/h3]
you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

dang, I said I wasn't responding anymore.

1. Whether you realize it or not, by making that statement--asserting that there is NO difference between the two--[h3]48÷2(9+3) and 48÷ 2 x 1(9+3),[/h3]you've substantiated team 288 claims.

I'll leave it to you to figure out how you've just buoyed team 288s arguments, and consequently rendered team 2s argument null and void...
wink.gif

2. Multiplication and Division ARE EQUAL in the pemdas hierarchy (another L on your part for believing and proclaiming otherwise). Thus, in such a case where you have an equation and are left with just those two signs, you must solve the equation by merely moving from left to right, tackling which ever operation comes first. In the OG equation, going from left to right, division comes first, so that's what you do first, not multiply.

no there was no need, but I was using distributive property to illustrate the relationship between the 2 and what was inside the parenthesis. Team 288 doesn't seem to understand that you're supposed to multiply what's in the parenthesis by 2... why? I HAVE NO IDEA.

and, no there is no difference. the answer for both = 2.

in fact, you may have made the best case for the answer being 2.

[h3]48÷ 2 x 1(9+3)  is the same as
[/h3][h3]48 / 2 x 12 =
[/h3]
you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

dang, I said I wasn't responding anymore.

1. Whether you realize it or not, by making that statement--asserting that there is NO difference between the two--[h3]48÷2(9+3) and 48÷ 2 x 1(9+3),[/h3]you've substantiated team 288 claims.

I'll leave it to you to figure out how you've just buoyed team 288s arguments, and consequently rendered team 2s argument null and void...
wink.gif

2. Multiplication and Division ARE EQUAL in the pemdas hierarchy (another L on your part for believing and proclaiming otherwise). Thus, in such a case where you have an equation and are left with just those two signs, you must solve the equation by merely moving from left to right, tackling which ever operation comes first. In the OG equation, going from left to right, division comes first, so that's what you do first, not multiply.

wolfram alpha shouldn't be the deciding factor on the answer. as i showed earlier, it calculated -11^2, as -121 when we all know squaring a negative number gets you a positive.

there are 2 terms in this problem, 48 and 2(9+3). or if you want to break it down even further, there are 3 variables. a=48 b=2 and c=(9+3). the problem is formatted to read a÷bc where a is one term and bc is one term. the definition of a term is a variable or the product of several variables, separated from other terms with a sign. by this definition, you divide the variable a by the product of variables bc, or in the OG problem, 48 divided by 2(9+3) which when simplified becomes 24.

wolfram alpha shouldn't be the deciding factor on the answer. as i showed earlier, it calculated -11^2, as -121 when we all know squaring a negative number gets you a positive.

there are 2 terms in this problem, 48 and 2(9+3). or if you want to break it down even further, there are 3 variables. a=48 b=2 and c=(9+3). the problem is formatted to read a÷bc where a is one term and bc is one term. the definition of a term is a variable or the product of several variables, separated from other terms with a sign. by this definition, you divide the variable a by the product of variables bc, or in the OG problem, 48 divided by 2(9+3) which when simplified becomes 24.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

for everyone championing wolfram alpha and TI calculators. input -11^2 and what do you get? if you square a negative, you always get a positive number right?

according to wolfram alpha, that would be wrong.

Spoiler [+]

Of course it's going to be negative if you don't put the parentheses around 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

When you write it as -11^2

It is saying -1 x 11^2

Therefore, you square the 11 first (PEMDAS)

Then multiply by -1, hence -121.

IF YOU HAVE -11^2 IN PARENTHESES IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS: (-11)(-11) = 121

IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE PARENTHESES YOU HAVE -1 (-11)^2

THEREFORE, -1 (121)

= -121

Why do you guys INSIST on saying Wolfram Alpha and calculators don't work? Ya'll are some clowns for real.

Stop posting, you are bringing up horrible points. 

SHUTUP NOW, PLEASE. You know NOTHING about math and you have made it completely evident time after time. This post shows EXACTLY why you are wrong you clown. Even members from Team 2 will agree with me on this one. Stop posting in this thread for the sake of everyone else.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

for everyone championing wolfram alpha and TI calculators. input -11^2 and what do you get? if you square a negative, you always get a positive number right?

according to wolfram alpha, that would be wrong.

Spoiler [+]

Of course it's going to be negative if you don't put the parentheses around 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

When you write it as -11^2

It is saying -1 x 11^2

Therefore, you square the 11 first (PEMDAS)

Then multiply by -1, hence -121.

IF YOU HAVE -11^2 IN PARENTHESES IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS: (-11)(-11) = 121

IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE PARENTHESES YOU HAVE -1 (-11)^2

THEREFORE, -1 (121)

= -121

Why do you guys INSIST on saying Wolfram Alpha and calculators don't work? Ya'll are some clowns for real.

Stop posting, you are bringing up horrible points. 

SHUTUP NOW, PLEASE. You know NOTHING about math and you have made it completely evident time after time. This post shows EXACTLY why you are wrong you clown. Even members from Team 2 will agree with me on this one. Stop posting in this thread for the sake of everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom