48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

Originally Posted by BC2310

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]
ajkltt.jpg

[/color]

you fail reading comprehension
it's saying to solve what's in the parentheses first, then use that answer (THAT QUANTITY) to solve the rest of the problem (the operations outside of the parentheses)

What I read says "ON THAT QUANITY" and it refers to what's in the parentheses as "THE QUANITY" 

"the quantity" = 9+3

"operations outside of the parentheses" = 48/2

are you saying that when the author says "perform the operations outside of the parentheses" that he's talking only about what's directly next to "the quantity"? 
grin.gif

"the quantity" = 9+3

are you saying that when the author says "perform the operations outside of the parentheses" that he's talking only about what's directly next to "the quantity"? 
grin.gif

"the quantity" = 9+3

grin.gif

That is precisely what I'm saying. 
"On that quanity" would translate to "directly next to 'the quanity'" for you.

"the quantity" = 9+3

grin.gif

"the quantity" = 9+3

grin.gif

again why would they need to reference the "order of operations" meaning more than one step, if they were only talking
about what is direct next to the parentheses.

"the quantity" = 9+3

grin.gif

again why would they need to reference the "order of operations" meaning more than one step, if they were only talking

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

"the quantity" = 9+3

grin.gif

You posted it. I read it.

Originally Posted by il prescelto

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

after 140 pages, we can establish the following:

1. team 288 won.

2. kingcrux is absolutely atrocious at basic math

Yeah all the notes I posted are wrong.
laugh.gif

eyes.gif
Yeah, all the notes you posted are wrong, and I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Sure. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

after 140 pages, we can establish the following:

1. team 288 won.

2. kingcrux is absolutely atrocious at basic math

Yeah all the notes I posted are wrong.
laugh.gif

eyes.gif
Yeah, all the notes you posted are wrong, and I'm not the only one who thinks that.
Sure. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

"the quantity" = 9+3

grin.gif

You posted it. I read it.

Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Okay, now I know you're a troll.

-11^2, MEANS -1 * 11^2. DO YOU SEE THE NEGATIVE SIGN???? THAT REPRESENTS -1. SO, PEMDAS.

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

SQUARE THE 11 FIRST. THEN MULTIPLY BY -1, HOW IS THIS EVEN ARGUABLE? THERE'S NO DEBATE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.

this cant be real life.

-(11)^2 = -121.  because the negative outside the parenthesis equals -1. so then your use of PEMDAS here would be correct. square what is inside the parenthesis, then multiply by -1.
-11^2= 121. because there is no -1, it's just -11*-11. do PEMDAS. no parenthesis, move on to exponents. square -11 and you get +121.
i have no idea how you don't see that.

@do work son, you are in SERIOUS need of a refresher. i am not even upset, but extremely saddened that you think you are right. 
Thank you. This dude needs a slap in the face. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Okay, now I know you're a troll.

-11^2, MEANS -1 * 11^2. DO YOU SEE THE NEGATIVE SIGN???? THAT REPRESENTS -1. SO, PEMDAS.

PARENTHESES

EXPONENTS

MULTIPLICATION

SQUARE THE 11 FIRST. THEN MULTIPLY BY -1, HOW IS THIS EVEN ARGUABLE? THERE'S NO DEBATE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM.

this cant be real life.

-(11)^2 = -121.  because the negative outside the parenthesis equals -1. so then your use of PEMDAS here would be correct. square what is inside the parenthesis, then multiply by -1.
-11^2= 121. because there is no -1, it's just -11*-11. do PEMDAS. no parenthesis, move on to exponents. square -11 and you get +121.

@do work son, you are in SERIOUS need of a refresher. i am not even upset, but extremely saddened that you think you are right. 

this cant be real life.

if you think -11^2 means -1 * 11^2 you're implying a multiplication that just isn't there. if you have -(11)^2 then the parenthesis has a coefficient of -1, in which case you can multiply what's in the parenthesis by -1. if you honestly do not understand that concept....
eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121

this cant be real life.

if you think -11^2 means -1 * 11^2 you're implying a multiplication that just isn't there. if you have -(11)^2 then the parenthesis has a coefficient of -1, in which case you can multiply what's in the parenthesis by -1. if you honestly do not understand that concept....
eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121

Originally Posted by Just bLAzed

Originally Posted by pjhoody

you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

LOL public school education FTL

even team 2 knows that that is wrong

Thought I was reading page 7 for a second.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Just bLAzed

Originally Posted by pjhoody

you do the multiplication first... peMDas -- as in MULTIPLICATION BEFORE DIVISION-- that's 2 x 12 = 24... do we need to keep going...
laugh.gif

LOL public school education FTL

even team 2 knows that that is wrong

Thought I was reading page 7 for a second.
30t6p3b.gif

eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121
Your math abilities are equivalent to that of a 4 year olds. Sickening. Your posts are straight blasphemous.
The two equations you posted are the exact same. 

eyes.gif

-11^2 = 121
-(11)^2= -121
Your math abilities are equivalent to that of a 4 year olds. Sickening. Your posts are straight blasphemous.
The two equations you posted are the exact same. 

The calculators get it wrong because it groups (48/2) separate from (9+3).

If you analyze that equation 48 / 2(9+3), the bold should be treated as the first operation.

Why?

Because you go left to right but ONLY AFTER you've simplified the bold which is a "unit" in itself.

The bold was just simplified from (18+6)

So in essence, BEFORE THIS EQUATION WAS SIMPLIFIED, the original equation would have been...

48 / (18+6).

(got it from another forum btw, just wanted to see your guys input)

The calculators get it wrong because it groups (48/2) separate from (9+3).

If you analyze that equation 48 / 2(9+3), the bold should be treated as the first operation.

Why?

Because you go left to right but ONLY AFTER you've simplified the bold which is a "unit" in itself.

The bold was just simplified from (18+6)

So in essence, BEFORE THIS EQUATION WAS SIMPLIFIED, the original equation would have been...

48 / (18+6).

(got it from another forum btw, just wanted to see your guys input)

Back
Top Bottom