$7k Air Jordan Scam?

Several weeks ago, prominent high-end collector MRMAR23 sold a fellow collector a pair of game worn Air Jordan X45 PE Shadows with Chicago Bulls LOA.  The collector paid $9k cash for the X's and game worn and signed IIs.  It worked out to roughly $7k for the Xs and $2k for the IIs.
The collector sent me a photo of the Bulls LOA that came with the X's and I was immediately taken aback.  The LOA was unlike other Bulls LOA I had seen before.  His LOA is pictured below:

bc736e68687fc58ea431387576e9bb415ff41b0e_r.jpg

Here are two genuine Bulls LOAs:

1053633464e4c54fa17a3c1b7f83b3d0dcf06f83_r.jpg

aa626d76cdc14ae83e079cb2ac72e0ced36e7138_r.jpg

I immediately noticed the following red flags with MRMAR23's LOA:

1. there is no golf foil lettering along the top 

2. no raised, embossed trophy at the bottom 

3. letter is 2004, yet championship years 97 and 98 are missing along the top 

4. specific game is mentioned in the body of the letter (this is the first time I've seen this in a Bulls letter) 

The matter was serious enough to reach out to the Chicago Bulls and this was their response:

I usually do not comment on letters after they leave my possession since there is too much tampering going on, especially if I do not know who the letter was originally given to.  I have consulted on a few and I personally know most of the people who purchased a Jordan over the past 8-10 years from us and I know of some who still have them and some who sold or are looking to sell theirs.   I will say that the last letter has SERIOUS issues and most likely a complete fake. 

Jeff Schultz

Chicago Bulls

Manager of Community Relations

1901 W Madison    

Chicago, IL 60612

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

Originally Posted by nickfairclough

WOW!  This could gain the Momentum of the "Screech" drama witnessed a few years ago...

If you recall, MRMAR23 was one of the most outspoken AGAINST screech.

Have you tried to contact MrMar prior to posting this? I'm sure enough that Mr.Mar would not go to this extent. Also sure enough if the letter happens to be not genuine, he could have received it as it is. What I do know is that, he did purchase the sneakers from a previous owner who won them on a memorabilia auction site. 

Regardless, LOA or not those are shoes are still atleast worth up to 4-5k (to each his own as well).

But what if MrMar got that letter with his shoes, can you really blame him? I'm not for it or against it, but just looking at it from a different perspective. Mike was always a good guy. Regardless, the shoes he sold were 100% authentic and would've went for that much even without the letter IMO.

-Jermaine

Originally Posted by SoLeSuPrEmE

Have you tried to contact MrMar prior to posting this? I'm sure enough that Mr.Mar would not go to this extent. Also sure enough if the letter happens to be not genuine, he could have received it as it is. What I do know is that, he did purchase the sneakers from a previous owner who won them on a memorabilia auction site. 

Regardless, LOA or not those are shoes are still atleast worth up to 4-5k (to each his own as well).

MRMAR23 was certainly contacted before this thread was started:
9a52618612cf9aa937a737b8e27c9b7cecd72fac_r.jpg

If MRMAR purchased this item from a previous collector that won them at a Bulls auction, then why is the Bulls letter addressed to MRMAR and not the original owner?

Originally Posted by SoLeSuPrEmE

You are pretty much confirming MRMAR manufactured this letter when you say that he purchased it from the original owner.  The Bulls letter is addressed to MRMAR....think about it.

Why leave positive feedback through ebay then? I would have waited til I got everything confirmed then left the positive cause that really would seem the only way to go through ebay and paypal and fight this, but a positive feedback has already been left.

Originally Posted by sole searchin

Why leave positive feedback through ebay then? I would have waited til I got everything confirmed then left the positive cause that really would seem the only way to go through ebay and paypal and fight this, but a positive feedback has already been left.

I'm almost positive the collector that bought them for $7k in-person isn't the same guy that "won" the auction on ebay.  Either shill bidding was going on or the winning bidder didn't pay because I believe these Xs were relisted as a buy it now for $7000 or $7500 and the listing was ended early.

Back
Top Bottom