A question regarding the G.R.E's

Hello all. I am taking the computer based G.R.E in less than two weeks. I have read up on all the information that is available but there is something that isconfusing. Does one get certain amount of points for filling out name/information similar to the S.A.T and other standardized test or no? I have triedsearching but cannot find the answer anywhere. If someone can help that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by killa23

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE COMPUTER BASED/PAPER BASED GREs?
Computer based is on a computer and it is adaptive and has less questions in contrast to the paper based. I believe paper GRE's are onlyadministered in other countries (not too sure).

Originally Posted by eye see soles

I thought the "G" stood for graduate, not "grade school"...
I know it does but several people have told me one thing while others are saying different so I was just trying to clarify it. I don't want togo in this confused.

I think it's solely based on your performance

[h2]Overview[/h2]
The Scoring Process
How the Sections of the General Test Are Scored
General Test Score Scales
Analytical Writing Measure Score Review
Paper-Based Test Hand Scoring
Additional Score Information
Score Reinstatement
[h3]The Scoring Process[/h3]
The processes for calculating reported scores for adaptive tests and traditional paper-and-pencil tests are similar, in that the number of questions answered correctly is adjusted according to the difficulty level of the questions on the test form. Thus, the same number of correct responses on different test forms will not necessarily result in the same reported score.

In paper-and-pencil tests, the differences in difficulty among test forms are relatively small and are adjusted through a process known as score equating. The number of questions answered is also figured into the calculation of the reported score because it limits the number that can be answered correctly.

With adaptive testing, an examinee is administered a set of questions with a difficulty level that is specifically designed to match the examinee's ability level. The mathematical process for calculating a score in this situation incorporates the statistical properties of the questions, the examinee's performance on the questions, and the number of questions that are answered.
[h3]http://How the Sections of the General Test Are Scored[/h3]
Computer-Based General Test:

Your scores on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the computer-based General Test depend on your performance on the questions given and on the number of questions answered in the time allotted.

Because both of these sections are computer-adaptive, the questions presented are selected to reflect your performance on preceding questions and the requirements of the test design. Test design factors that influence which questions are presented to you include
  1. the statistical characteristics (including difficulty level) of the questions already answered
  2. the required variety of question types
  3. the appropriate coverage of content
For the computer-based Analytical Writing section, each essay receives a score from at least one trained reader, using a six-point holistic scale. In holistic scoring, readers are trained to assign scores on the basis of the overall quality of an essay in response to the assigned task. The essay score is then reviewed by e-rater, a computerized program developed by ETS, which is being used to monitor the human reader. If the e-rater evaluation and the human score agree, the human score is used as the final score. If they disagree by a certain amount, a second human score is obtained, and the final score is the average of the two human scores.

The final scores on the two essays are then averaged and rounded up to the nearest half-point interval. A single score is reported for the Analytical Writing section.

only on performance... i got a 1300 on mine... heres some advice

dont stress out, if you start seeing questions that u dont have any clue what the answer is, and you start thinking "ahh man im doin terrible, i dont knoanything"... that means your doing WELL because the questions get harder as you score correct answers. also the most important questions for each sectionare the first 5 to 10, because the way the computer calculates your grade, if you answer the first correctly its giving you harder and harder questions, andraises your average quickly, as opposed to missing the first 5 to 10, the computer thinks your an idiot... you want to get harder questions faster because theyare worth more points

for example, if a section has 30 questions, in 1 scenario someone gets the first 15 right, last 15 wrong, they will get a better score than someone who getsthe first 15 wrong, and the last 15 right, cus the dude that started bad answered 15 easier questions...

dont drink coffee before the exam, a lot of people seem to do this, and its kinda dumb because all that does is make you jittery, it will let you focus for thefirst section but the test is like 4 to 5 hours and once the coffee wears off your brain wont perform as well. your better off getting a good night of sleepand being awake a couple hours before the exam.

make sure you buy 1 of those GRE prep books. they explain all ive said and more. honestly you can do well on the GRE if you are half ******ed, you just have tolearn how to do well on the test... i guess that makes no sense but basically those books(i got the kaplan) have practice tests, with questions that areextremely similar, if not the same you will see on the exam. each different question type has a different strategy to help eliminate answers. also make sureyou write a couple of practice essays, no joke, the 2 essays i had on the exam were eerily similar to the essays that were on the prep book.

There is no experience like the real thing. Register to take it twice and don't have your scores automatically sent to any schools the first (or evensecond) time. You can always report your scores to any schools you want but you can't erase a bad score that was automatically sent out.

Back
Top Bottom