ACA: Affordable Care Act (better known as OBAMACARE) - Enrollment Starts October 1st - You In?

And all of the delayed mandates too?
by 'all of the delayed mandates' i'm going to assume you're referring exclusively to the employer mandate.

the delay on the employer mandate is not outside of the executive branch's lawful discretion. i could go into further detail citing numerous judicial precedents set from republican and democrat administrations and justice departments alike, but they're pretty boring. (i'll do it if you insist though.)

the official spin from the feds calls the delay "transition relief". big business requested it and it makes sense policy wise.

Last edited:

I've been racking my brain for a while now and can't find an answer, so hopefully someone here can help me out. What areas have given precidence for the government to compete against private businesses to drive down the cost? The only situation I can think of might be Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae, but that's only if you consider them a government backed company before the takeover (which was only implicit)

And all of the delayed mandates too?
by 'all of the delayed mandates' i'm going to assume you're referring exclusively to the employer mandate.

the delay on the employer mandate is not outside of the executive branch's lawful discretion. i could go into further detail citing numerous judicial precedents set from republican and democrat administrations and justice departments alike, but they're pretty boring. (i'll do it if you insist though.)

the official spin from the feds calls the delay "transition relief". big business requested it and it makes sense policy wise.
No, there have been several delays both on the individual and employer side. Then there's the enrollment deadline that was originally supposed to be Dec. 23rd that's now pushed back into the new year.

I've been racking my brain for a while now and can't find an answer, so hopefully someone here can help me out. What areas have given precidence for the government to compete against private businesses to drive down the cost? The only situation I can think of might be Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae, but that's only if you consider them a government backed company before the takeover (which was only implicit)
Which one of those has the cost actually gone down? In California, a public education used to be free to residents. Now, it's almost $20,000/yr.

No, there have been several delays both on the individual and employer side. Then there's the enrollment deadline that was originally supposed to be Dec. 23rd that's now pushed back into the new year.

Which one of those has the cost actually gone down? In California, a public education used to be free to residents. Now, it's almost $20,000/yr.
there's been no delay on the individual mandate. the employer mandate was delayed for a year to phase in the law and alleviate confusion from the business community. the enrollment deadline has been pushed back a few times bc of the website's technical problems and then again to cover more ppl who's plans will cancel in the new year. the health insurance industry also came forward and said it would accept payments later into the new year for eligible applicants.

the delays only help make the law effectively practical. it's not a refusal to enforce on the executive branch's part or a backtrack on their landmark legislation.

and government competition forces prices down bc of its own nature. i mean, what don't you get? local, state, or federal government programs, departments, and agencies offer the public services at cost. to serve people. private industries and businesses offer services for profit. to make money.

it doesn't necessarily drive prices down, but it sure keeps them from dramatically driving up.

Last edited:

there's been no delay on the individual mandate. the employer mandate was delayed for a year to phase in the law and alleviate confusion from the business community. the enrollment deadline has been pushed back a few times bc of the website's technical problems and then again to cover more ppl who's plans will cancel in the new year. the health insurance industry also came forward and said it would accept payments later into the new year for eligible applicants.

the delays only help make the law effectively practical. it's not a refusal to enforce on the executive branch's part or a backtrack on their landmark legislation.

and government competition forces prices down bc of its own nature. i mean, what don't you get? local, state, or federal government programs, departments, and agencies offer the public services at cost. to serve people. private industries and businesses offer services for profit. to make money.

it doesn't necessarily drive prices down, but it sure keeps them from dramatically driving up.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...allows-mandate-exemption-over-canceled-plans/
the Obama administration is loosening the terms of the individual mandate for some consumers while providing them new options to maintain coverage.
The designation of a canceled plan as a qualifying hardship means those who have not yet found a suitable replacement have a new option:  enroll in a cheap, bare bones catastrophic plan that is typically restricted to people under 30 years-old or others with an exemption.
Regarding government forces driving down prices? Which of the government programs you mentioned doesn't operate in the red or with significant tax subsidies?

I loathe obamacare.
this affordable care act McAfee my insurance MORE expensive.
that's what you call irony folks

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...allows-mandate-exemption-over-canceled-plans/

Regarding government forces driving down prices? Which of the government programs you mentioned doesn't operate in the red or with significant tax subsidies?
The SEC. With the $13 billion fine that JP Morgan paid alone, they can cover their budget for decades.
There is a huge difference between enforcement agencies and ones that provide services to citizens.

But for the sake of argument, let's say the SEC does do a great job of making money for the taxpayers. How does that drive down the cost for JPM customers?

There is a huge difference between enforcement agencies and ones that provide services to citizens.

But for the sake of argument, let's say the SEC does do a great job of making money for the taxpayers. How does that drive down the cost for JPM customers?

LOL, well I was just here to point out an agency that does run on a surplus regulatory or not.

I'm not here to argue any of the actual points though. At the end of the day I find most of these debates damned if you will and damned if you don't with neither size budging their stances 95% of the time.

relaxing eligibility for the hardship exemption is entirely different from delaying the individual mandate.

government programs aren't subsidized through taxes, they're funded entirely by them. and most government programs operate in the red. that's the nature of civil service; it isn't meant to be profitable.

QLKWoGS.png

What a massive failure the ACA enrollment turned out to be.
Of course I enrolled.

QLKWoGS.png

Of course I enrolled.

the plans can be in the cart and they would considered you enrolled. so the real question is how many actually finished checking out and paid?

QLKWoGS.png

Of course I enrolled.

the plans can be in the cart and they would considered you enrolled. so the real question is how many actually finished checking out and paid?

Grasp for those straws brah. Good for you, keep fighting the good fight. :smokin

-That video kdawg posted everyone should watch. America needs a public option

Found this interesting:
Ironically though, the ACA doesn't affect any of those issues. Most of our problems have to do with us not taking care of our own health. We have the largest generation in history (Baby Boomers) who lived YOLO for most of their lives getting into the most expensive healthcare related portion of their lives, requiring more procedures. Unfortunately, our costs WILL rise no matter what until the boomers start dying in significant numbers. But, with over 1/2 of minors now overweight, it's likely that we'll continue to face many health related problems as a result.

Cost is not the problem, it's the symptom of a larger epidemic.

^ that's not what his stats showed. It's part of it but US healthcare is just more expensive - not more utilised because of obesity etc.

I hated this whole unviversal health care since Hillary tried to implement in the 90's. The system seems to be set where they tax the healthy to care for the unhealthy.

Found this interesting:

Ironically though, the ACA doesn't affect any of those issues. Most of our problems have to do with us not taking care of our own health. We have the largest generation in history (Baby Boomers) who lived YOLO for most of their lives getting into the most expensive healthcare related portion of their lives, requiring more procedures. Unfortunately, our costs WILL rise no matter what until the boomers start dying in significant numbers. But, with over 1/2 of minors now overweight, it's likely that we'll continue to face many health related problems as a result.

Cost is not the problem, it's the symptom of a larger epidemic.

It is like you didn't even press play. Most of the video was about shooting down this theory

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom