ADIDAS BBall Boost Thread - BYW, Crazy Explosive & Crazy Light & OTHER BBALL ADJACENT SNEAKERS

maybe these early reviews with the boost in the CL16 are coming in too early. I get the initial thoughts but they say boost has to be broken in just like any other shoe to fully get the benefit. I know the DR6 (and runners) have that step in comfort out the box so hopefully reviews pop up soon saying the forefoot boost softens up. that's the only thing holding me back.

I never experienced shin splints til I played in lebron's and I need that forefoot mushiness. I need the white and burgundy pair I saw in a video of the CL16 
nthat.gif
I only have two pairs of Boost shoes:  Pure Boosts and now these.  My Pure Boosts needed no break in time.  Can't speak for Ultras and the others.

The Boost 16 forefoot is perfectly fine, it's just not as Boost-y as the heel.  I doubt the forefoot will change much.  It might have something to do with the deliberate containment as opposed to the exposed heel boost, but it's more likely because the heel just has more volume.  The forefoot isn't an issue to me.  Good blend of court feel and responsiveness.  It won't be on my mind at all for next time, but the lace pressure will be.

Played twice a week for an average of 2 hours every time I played. The heel boost is still ok, but the forefoot just feels like a brick. Idk if it's just coincidence, but I also suffered my first achiles strain in the Rose 6. The traction also got chewed and is smooth now because I played with them on both carpet floor and regular courts. The 2k4 on the other hand, while it doesn't offer as much cushioning (in size anyway) as the Rose 6, it feels more responsive and actually has a feel to it (even my OGs from 2004 still have cushioning left). I guess I expected the Boost to last "forever" (and by forever I mean no lose as much feeling as mine did) since that was one of the claims of it when they first dropped it. I'm fine with drop in cushioning height, I experience that in ANY shoe, but it's just the feel of the Rose 6 is just hard up front, almost like it feels like just any other shoe with random foam and not BOOST foam.
Carpet floor?  Never heard that one before.

Anyway, assuming you played 6 pickup games in a 2 hour span, which is probably a low estimate, that's 12 games per week.  12 games/week multiplied by 26 weeks is 312 games.

To give you an idea, the Micro G in my CF Drives died out at around 85 games.  Still playable, but very lacking in cushioning.  The unlocked zoom in my XX9's was even worse at around 65 games.

This is the first pair of Boost bball shoes I'm probably going to stick with, so I'm curious to see how long they last.

Interesting. Never thought about tracking the life of my shoes by # of games played. I track mine by hours. I average 8 hrs a week playing games and another 2 hours per week on shooting around and drills. My Curry 1s and 2s have all felt like the cushioning was compromised around 150 hours. Not bad. Most of my zoom based shoes last a little longer, but pretty similar. Major exception to that was the XX8s, which died much earlier because the forefoot zoom would pop or the sole would crack/separate around the forefoot zoom at about 40 hours.

So far I've played in 3 different pairs or Rose 6s and the Boost felt different in all of them. I had a pair of IDs that felt super firm out of the box. Never felt like they broke and hurt my knees playing in them. Sent them back to Adidas for a refund. Tried a pair of primeknits and one shoe felt bouncy and the other felt firm. Sent those back. Had a pair of the white homes and both shoes felt very bouncy and much more like the boost experience most people rave about. I really hope adidas figures out how to deliver a consistent boost experience with the CLB 16s, Rose 7s, Explosives and Hardens. I want to most of them out, but am holding off until I hear if the boost is right on each shoe.

As long as you track them somehow.  Hours to me is just as consistent as games, since there are a lot of factors that can change like game length, activity, and so on.

But I would advise everyone to do so because I think it really gives you an idea of the value of a shoe.  How long they last is a pretty big deal.

Anyone else have sizing issues with the CL Boost 2016? I'm a size 10 TTS but I wear a size 10.5 in performance shoes. I bought this size 9.5 from Finishline but I kept on getting heel slippage. Compared my CL to two size 10.5 Kobe models and a size 11 Nike Hyperdunk Low, my size 9.5 CL Boost is almost the same size as the size 11 HD Low. 

Just bought a size 9 off Models with that 20% off code posted earlier. Thanks for that. 

Interesting. Never thought about tracking the life of my shoes by # of games played. I track mine by hours. I average 8 hrs a week playing games and another 2 hours per week on shooting around and drills. My Curry 1s and 2s have all felt like the cushioning was compromised around 150 hours. Not bad. Most of my zoom based shoes last a little longer, but pretty similar. Major exception to that was the XX8s, which died much earlier because the forefoot zoom would pop or the sole would crack/separate around the forefoot zoom at about 40 hours.

So far I've played in 3 different pairs or Rose 6s and the Boost felt different in all of them. I had a pair of IDs that felt super firm out of the box. Never felt like they broke and hurt my knees playing in them. Sent them back to Adidas for a refund. Tried a pair of primeknits and one shoe felt bouncy and the other felt firm. Sent those back. Had a pair of the white homes and both shoes felt very bouncy and much more like the boost experience most people rave about. I really hope adidas figures out how to deliver a consistent boost experience with the CLB 16s, Rose 7s, Explosives and Hardens. I want to most of them out, but am holding off until I hear if the boost is right on each shoe.

We literally had the same experience....

Wow. So at least I don't feel crazy lol. Zoom has always "worked", but I wanted to switch to foams for my tendinitis and back. I wish I would've had a pair of Rose 6s that felt like the prime knits, those were the best Boost I felt.

Last edited:
@iampatrickbwong  you aren't alone -- I can't speak for everyone, but certainly for me and what sounds like quite a few others have had trouble w/ adidas sizing over the years.  I've heard it's no different with the 2016 crazy light

Still on the fence regarding the CL Boost 16.  The heel slip doesn't completely scare me away, but the Explosive may be the one I try instead.  Rose 7s are a possibility too

Still on the fence regarding the CL Boost 16.  The heel slip doesn't completely scare me away, but the Explosive may be the one I try instead.  Rose 7s are a possibility too
I think I'll try a pair of Rose 7's later.

The Boost 16 is fun so far.  I want to balance out and stay away from getting more lows (never, EVER thought I'd say that), and I also want to try a more traditional lacing set up since the Boosts and Explosives have very few eyelets.  I just like the look of the Rose better overall too.

Iks - about to start playing in the CLBoost 16 and the rose should be here Thursday. I'll update as it goes.

^^ @duke40 are you also getting the crazy explosive?  I saw nightwing say the crazy explosive has plush cushioning and the clboost 16 & rose 7's have firmer cushioning.  I was just wondering if you feel the same way.

Iks - about to start playing in the CLBoost 16 and the rose should be here Thursday. I'll update as it goes.
Appreciate it! My guess is that all three of these new boost models deliver in similar ways and each does 1-2 things a little better than the other.  Looking forward to feedback.

Wow! CLB16 edge in every category makes me excited for my pair! thanks bro once I receive mine ill share my review too
ill play for a week and wore it casually too to fully break in the shoes

I thought you said you weren't getting a pair? Overreaction?

Forgive me if I have skipped over this already being discussed - anyone compare the CL2016 to the KD9? I am of the opinion that the KD9's zoom set-up is the best cushioning I've ever experienced - this includes bounce (the lillard 2's were my favorite before), max, micro-g, charged cushioning, and I've only experienced PARTIAL boost - so I was curious to see how full-length boost compares to the KD9.

I saw NightWing's brief head-to-head comparison but it didn't seem to go in-depth or have a long-term review since it was done beginning of July. I love the KD9 but the boost will be picked up next time Adidas does one of their sales. Good to see the market open up to the point where I'm considering Adidas, UA, BrandBlack in addition to Nike. Prices are starting to normalize, as well (other than Js but who cares about them). Great time to be into sneakers with the technology on the up and up but the prices seeming to come back down.

Forgive me if I have skipped over this already being discussed - anyone compare the CL2016 to the KD9? I am of the opinion that the KD9's zoom set-up is the best cushioning I've ever experienced - this includes bounce (the lillard 2's were my favorite before), max, micro-g, charged cushioning, and I've only experienced PARTIAL boost - so I was curious to see how full-length boost compares to the KD9.

I saw NightWing's brief head-to-head comparison but it didn't seem to go in-depth or have a long-term review since it was done beginning of July. I love the KD9 but the boost will be picked up next time Adidas does one of their sales. Good to see the market open up to the point where I'm considering Adidas, UA, BrandBlack in addition to Nike. Prices are starting to normalize, as well (other than Js but who cares about them). Great time to be into sneakers with the technology on the up and up but the prices seeming to come back down.

Here's one comparison I found
https://schwollo.com/2016/07/01/adidas-crazylight-boost-2016-vs-nike-kd-9/

The blk/wht D Rose 7 up on revUpsports, if anyone is interested.... Lot of sizes still available
It's tempting... but if I've learned anything with the Rose line it's to wait it out.  I can't act like I'm in dire need of kicks to play in either...

I do want to try this year's models at some point.  Right now I'm playing in the 361 degrees Mazer and have been floored at how solid they are

Last edited:

It's tempting... but if I've learned anything with the Rose line it's to wait it out.  I can't act like I'm in dire need of kicks to play in either...

I do want to try this year's models at some point.  Right now I'm playing in the 361 degrees Mazer and have been floored at how solid they are
I was thinking of trying the 361 Degree Mazers as well. Do they really feel like runners?

I was thinking of trying the 361 Degree Mazers as well. Do they really feel like runners?
It fits and has the feel of a runner, but the stability and support are not lacking.  It has a solid shank piece, good outrigger and lockdown is excellent.  I sort of took a chance on them and was pleasantly surprised.  I love the cushion, it's a nice balance between firm/soft -- has the essence of adidas bounce or micro G.  Sort of the feel of an old hyperfuse low, but with a nice foam cushion and even smoother transition

I probably would have gone TTS on them - ended up going .5 down and it's worked out fine with break in.  Would probably go true if I bought another pair

It fits and has the feel of a runner, but the stability and support are not lacking.  It has a solid shank piece, good outrigger and lockdown is excellent.  I sort of took a chance on them and was pleasantly surprised.  I love the cushion, it's a nice balance between firm/soft -- has the essence of adidas bounce or micro G.  Sort of the feel of an old hyperfuse low, but with a nice foam cushion and even smoother transition

I probably would have gone TTS on them - ended up going .5 down and it's worked out fine with break in.  Would probably go true if I bought another pair
did you pay full retail? Im interested in whenever i hear a kobe reference.

Back
Top Bottom