ADIDAS BOOST Thread - PAGE 1 for INFO- *NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING*

How many 3.0s have you copped this year?

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • 1-2

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • 3+

Votes: 27 35.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I'm gonna experiment a bit with my beat up pair of og whites this weekend (don't worry I have two DS pairs on deck).

The main goal is to try and see if there's a way to revitalize the boost material. As some of you have seen from pics I've posted in the past, the boost midsole on my right shoe is turning strangely orange and the protective lining that provides that slight sheen has gone away completely, which I suspect is part of the reason for the orange-ing.

My plan is to try using a mr. clean magic eraser to get rid of the orange hue, ideally without stripping away too much boost material. Other solvents will be tried if the eraser doesn't work.

What I'm curious about though is if anyone has any tips for some sort of clear finish I could use once I've gotten them back to white. I have a lot of experience with various clear finishes for hard surfaces, urethane, tun oil, etc. for wood & whatnot, but those all seem too rigid & thick for what I'm trying to do here. Gonna peruse the aisles at Lowes to see if anything looks promising but let me know if any of you guys have any ideas.

If the experiment doesn't work I'm going to just turn them into a custom (already have plans for that as well). But if it does, it'll be nice to know there's a solid method to revitalize your boost.
I brushed up against a car tire with my MGs and could not get the black mark to wash off completely with any kind of soap.  It faded some but was still noticeable enough that I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  I was very gentle but the bottom line is that this thing eats Boost material.  It did the job enough that on feet you can no longer see the mark, but it left behind frayed boost material and a strange reddish color in spots.  I took a normal pic as well as a macro so you can see exactly what happened.  I ended up using tweezers to pull out some of the bits of boost that were torn and sticking out just to get a smooth surface, so I can only imagine how bad it would be to hit the whole sole with the eraser.  Matching the clearcoat would be the least of your worries!

Is there a demand for the triple white ultra boost still? I thought everyone got their pair already 
I kept putting them off because of other purchases and knowing they would restock. Of course, now that I'm fully committed to buying them, I can't track my size down.

Straight to feet.  The boost material is the real deal.  Definitely one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. 

Originally Posted by gsg23  

I brushed up against a car tire with my MGs and could not get the black mark to wash off completely with any kind of soap.  It faded some but was still noticeable enough that I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  I was very gentle but the bottom line is that this thing eats Boost material.  It did the job enough that on feet you can no longer see the mark, but it left behind frayed boost material and a strange reddish color in spots.  I took a normal pic as well as a macro so you can see exactly what happened.  I ended up using tweezers to pull out some of the bits of boost that were torn and sticking out just to get a smooth surface, so I can only imagine how bad it would be to hit the whole sole with the eraser.  Matching the clearcoat would be the least of your worries!
Thanks yeah I have a feeling I'll just end up doing the custom job I've been considering, after hearing your report I think I will try some strong solvents before I try the magic eraser. I find it hard to believe there isn't some intense chemical out there that can get the boost back to white, but so far no one has found a way to do it effectively so I'm gonna try a few things out and see what happens.

If I end up trashing the shoe in the name of science I'm ok with that haha.

Thanks yeah I have a feeling I'll just end up doing the custom job I've been considering, after hearing your report I think I will try some strong solvents before I try the magic eraser. I find it hard to believe there isn't some intense chemical out there that can get the boost back to white, but so far no one has found a way to do it effectively so I'm gonna try a few things out and see what happens.

If I end up trashing the shoe in the name of science I'm ok with that haha.
I'll be interested to see what you can come up with.  I tried Simple Green, citrus cleaner, and various soaps and natural degreasers with no great success.  I did not get into more harsh chemical solvents as I was worried about dissolving the boost and permanently damaging it.

I should just try and give BASF a call. Maybe I can find one of their engineers on LinkedIn. 
laugh.gif

I got my Navy pair on ebay for like $120 shipped about 5 months ago, its funny how out of nowhere people started to eat up that color

he edited the post I think, pretty sure I saw him talking about helping someone for retail on something? :nerd:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom