Adidas overtakes Jordan on list of top U.S. sport footwear

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ad...-list-of-top-us-sport-footwear-npd-2017-09-18

Adidas has overtaken Jordan to become the number two brand of U.S. sport footwear, according to The NPD Group's August athletic footwear data.

"This is an achievement I never thought I would see in my lifetime," wrote Mike Powell, NPD's sports industry analyst. "Adidas sport footwear sales grew more than half for the month and share grew by nearly half, to 13%."

Nike Inc. which is also the parent of the Jordan brand, held on to the top spot.

Basketball footwear sales were down 20%, with the category's decline going into its second year. "Adidas basketball grew more than 40%, while Nike declined in the mid-singles and Brand Jordan lost about a third of its sales. Under Armour basketball was down about half."

Total U.S. athletic footwear sales were $1.86 billion, up slightly from $1.85 billion last year.

So.... Michael Jordan and his shoes that he wore are still relevant 20 years after his prime. Kanye will not have that to his resume. Remember Jordan brand is Nike. They still are number 1. Adidas is a trend. Yeezy is a trend.
There is not an athlete or entertainer that will ever match what Jordan has done with footwear. To me Adidas can have the 2 spot. I'm not gonna change up.

So y'all just gonna act like Jordan isn't Nike? :lol:

So Adidas surpassed a DIVISION of Nike ????

mj52cbd461.jpg

That's the funniest part about this. I mean, it's a great accomplishment and all, but Adidas is a full athletic footwear brand that has made shoes for all sports for a very long time and Jordan is just a piece of Nike that only makes basketball shoes and only does well with retro sales. It's definitely not an apples to apples comparison. I bet if you took just their popular products (Jordan retros vs Adidas Boost), Jordan would still be outselling them. If they're going to compare, it should be Nike vs Adidas.

Adidas never get my $.

Let the masses have 'em, to me that brands always been corny.

Ever since the 80s they were mainstream made popular by run dmc.
Up until Kanye put them back on the map, they were alongside asics/new balance, damn near payless kicks .

Its fitting they needed another main stream rap star to put them back in the relevant category.

Adidas always have been and always will be culture vultures.

So.... Michael Jordan and his shoes that he wore are still relevant 20 years after his prime. Kanye will not have that to his resume. Remember Jordan brand is Nike. They still are number 1. Adidas is a trend. Yeezy is a trend.
There is not an athlete or entertainer that will ever match what Jordan has done with footwear. To me Adidas can have the 2 spot. I'm not gonna change up.

I strongly believe in this, however, I do sometimes underestimate the power of human stupidity - who would've ever thought Kanye would get such a following when he's dumb AF and is married to a woman who got famous from a sex tape. 20 years ago you had to have ACHIEVEMENTS to be famous, but nowadays any dumb idiot can get famous (see Lavar Ball), so the future kinda scares me a little.

Props to Adidas! lol at all they negative comments toward them.... do yall got stock at JB or something?
No, I just remember the 90s

And never forgot those 3 Nike designers that migrated to Adidas a couple years back. Adidas is basically putting out Nike designs now and somehow we're supposed to be impressed that their sales climbed

And never forgot those 3 Nike designers that migrated to Adidas a couple years back. Adidas is basically putting out Nike designs now and somehow we're supposed to be impressed that their sales climbed

Honestly, any problems Nike is having with Adidas, they pretty much caused them themselves. Nike was incredibly stupid for letting Kanye go, the brand would be on another level right now with him and they could have a post-Jordan Brand contingency that they don't really have with LeBron or Kobe.

Wait not sure if I understand this, because adidas has 3 designers that originally work for Nike, the products they design are basically Nike ideas because they worked at Nike before?

Anywho, congrats to Adidas . In this age where a whole bunch of companies are going out of business/bankrupt (I.e toysrus)
It's pretty great to hear a company succeed. Espically since they were pretty much not relevant a few years back. I'll admit I was never a fun of their products back then, until recently.

Honestly, any problems Nike is having with Adidas, they pretty much caused them themselves. Nike was incredibly stupid for letting Kanye go, the brand would be on another level right now with him and they could have a post-Jordan Brand contingency that they don't really have with LeBron or Kobe.

Nike also got complacent in many ways. A few years ago, I paid Adidas no mind because I had a pair of fairly new Stan Smiths explode on me some years back. So I considered Adidas to be of poor quality. Then I started hearing about Ultra Boosts and how comfortable they are. I decided to try a pair. That got me back to checking for the brand and now I have Superstars, Yeezys, and UBs in the rotation.

Adidas, because of its lagging market position, started to take chances with innovation (boost, primeknit, signing Ye) and now they have better tech. Even in the retro lifestyle models, Adidas didn't just stand pat. They improved the insoles and materials on shoes like the Superstars. Meanwhile JB/Nike won't even take the relatively cheap and simple step of putting Lunarlon insoles in retro models.

Nike is the sun + Jupiter with Jordan

Adidas is just a planet. Saturn.

Adidas is now Jupiter and Jordan is now Saturn.

They are proud of this.

Adidas is pathetic. A planet will never be a star.

By this logic Jordan was never a star to you either though.

I applaud Adidas man and I've never owned a pair. Y'all can say what y'all want but JB's overstaturation of the market is catching up. Releasing 52+ retros a year, many of them underwhelming cws, is killing sales. Let's not start on the price and quality issues. I'm a retro Nike fan being that I grew up in the 90s, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nike at #2 in 30-40 years. Because let's be honest, Nike has yet to make another iconic signature athlete shoe close to anything in first 14 models (roughly) of the Jordan line. But at same neither has Adidas. But also kids nowadays have different flavor, i.e. their music lol. But only time will tell..

Adidas is a full athletic footwear brand that has made shoes for all sports for a very long time and Jordan is just a piece of Nike that only makes basketball shoes and only does well with retro sales. .

False. They make basketball shoes, training shoes, baseball cleats, golf cleats (they did football cleats too but not sure if still currently), kids collections, head to toe apparel, accessories (like headbands, wristbands, bags, equipment), and probably some more stuff.

Adidas is great. Nike is better.

People seem to love those Crazy Explosive Basketball sneakers too. I don't think Nike is in much trouble though. Nike doesn't push some of their crazier silhouettes enough either. When things like turbulent they just double down on what has worked and that isn't very exciting.

As long as I can get shoes this easy, thanks Adidas for making this possible. For example, my favorive shoe of all time, the black/red 13's. I scrambled to get my 2004 pair for retail on release day only because I had to work (came out on a Wednesday I believe). Fast forward to 2017, I was out of town and got my first pair easily and just brought my second pair from the same store (Flight 23) last night.

By this logic Jordan was never a star to you either though.
Which is correct in this analogy. "Jordan Brand" will always be just a planet in Nike's solar system.

It always shocks me how people separate the two, as if they were to launch "Lebron Brand", that somehow Lebrons would no longer be Nikes :lol:

I'm happy that Nike has competition.
When you are your only threat, you get to dictate the market.

Now that sales aren't as projected, prices get better for the real collectors of the brand.

I was personally turned off by the difficulty to buy shoes a few years ago.

This

but too many people treat sneakers as their favorite sports team, and there's way too many bandwagon fans

Back
Top Bottom